EX's MP4 files worked just fine in CS3!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 9th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Major Player

EX's MP4 files worked just fine in CS3!!

Using the footage from this site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Chaix View Post
Someone kept footages made by the EX1 in a exhibit in Paris.
Here is the link where you can download mp4 files.
http://www.vecomvideo.com/pages/test_ex1.htm
and dragging the MP4s straight into CS3, they worked! They required rendering, which unfortunately took 38 seconds for a 9 second clip.

I used the Sony Clip Browsing software to convert the files to MXF, which did not work in CS3.

But the MP4s (after rendering) worked just fine!
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Does not work at all in Final Cut Pro 6.0.1. One simply gets an error message. I suspect this will be fixed in an update coming soon given that the Sony Clip Browser can't convert the files to anything on the Mac.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

John, what preset did you choose for Premiere to open the files?
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post

and dragging the MP4s straight into CS3, they worked! They required rendering, which unfortunately took 38 seconds for a 9 second clip.

I used the Sony Clip Browsing software to convert the files to MXF, which did not work in CS3.

John do you have any hardware setup like Matrox RT2 with the CS3? What CPU, RAM are you using? 38 secs for a 9 seconder is an awful lot of time!
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:

I just did a drag and drop of these files into Newtek's editor "SpeedEdit" and they play instantly!
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
John, what preset did you choose for Premiere to open the files?
I made a custom one. I didn't think too hard about codecs or anything like that I just made a 1920x1080 project. I forget the rest.

Have you tried in CS3 with no success?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
John do you have any hardware setup like Matrox RT2 with the CS3? What CPU, RAM are you using? 38 secs for a 9 seconder is an awful lot of time!
No hardware support outside of my 2 GB of RAM and dual core AMD 4400.

It did take longer than I'd like to wait but at the time I thought at least I can bypass the conversion to MXF so maybe it evens out.

But the MXF conversion doesn't take anywhere near as long.

Hopefully eventually Propect can convert the mp4s to avis in faster than realtime... I don't know if it will though...
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks John, I did bring them into Adobe AE and they seem to work just fine.

I didn't realize at the time that these might be PAL and I don't work in PAL...
So I'll play with them some more...

So whats everyone think so far... I do see a small amount of CA but not much...

The noise looks to be kept in check too.
Old November 10th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #8
HDV Cinema

Quote:
How did you convert?

I don't see any EXPORT function.
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #9
Inner Circle

There is no Export button, but there is Export option in the File menu drop-down list.

However, I cannot even load any of the mp4 clips! The browser doesn't see them at all in the directory I copied them to!

What am I missing?
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Piotr, I was seeing the same as you... just couldn't get the files in there...

Then I read Seemans post on another thread...

"It worked for me. Open Clip Browser and use File/Import/
Then use "..." and select the clip. Then use Add. Repeat for all three clips. Select OK.

For an additional treat use Viewer/View Full Screen.

Keep in mind the Clip Browser only works on Intel Macs. Clip Browser will not open on a G5. You'll get a compatibility warning message."

Like he says, when you click on the file and it starts to play go to the viewer optioin and get full screen... the footage looks pretty good.........
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Have you tried using File/Import?
As far as I can tell the Viewer, which should show the MP4s, is not working. Once you use File/Import it'll create a BPAV folder and you will see the video file.

Export is in the Windows version of the Clip Browser. There is no Export in the Mac version.

My own hunch is that Apple will update the Log & Transfer function in FCP to support XDCAM MP4 to MOV. I believe that tool only support P2 at the moment.

If you try to use that tool in FCP at the moment and point it to the BPAV folder, you'll get a warning about an invalid folder structure.

Interesting thing to note is that MP4 is truly a wrapper that contains the XML and folder structure. Import sort of "tears it apart" so you can see all that by creating a BPAV folder.

When you import more than one clip they are placed in the same BPAV folder and within that, the CLPR folder actually contains the MP4 media plus associated XML file

What seems "broken" in the Clip Browser is the top Info Window does not display the initial MP4 so you have to use File/Import. In addition you can't select a group of clips to import. It only does one at a time. Both the Info Window Import and importing a group should work but are broken as far as I can tell.

The Bottom Info Window is for selecting destination for move/copy functions.

Split Folder function seems to be a neat idea which makes the FAT32 4GB limit a "good" thing. In theory, you should be able to split folders with spanned clips. This can help if you want to burn the contents to DVD to hand to a client after the shoot. You should be able to burn these to a DVD along with a copy of the Clip Browser software and the client should be able to view the video (no worries about deck compatibilities such as with HDV!).

Imagine being able to copy your clips to 16x DVDs right after a shoot rather than being limited to a 2x Blu-ray burner (slow burn plus forcing the client to find a Blu-ray drive to play your clips). Now I see some "wisdom" in the choice of FAT32.
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #12
Inner Circle

duplicate message - please ignore

Last edited by Craig Seeman; November 10th, 2007 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Duplicate message - please ignore
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Piotr, I was seeing the same as you... just couldn't get the files in there...

Then I read Seemans post on another thread...

"It worked for me. Open Clip Browser and use File/Import/
Then use "..." and select the clip. Then use Add. Repeat for all three clips. Select OK.

For an additional treat use Viewer/View Full Screen.

Keep in mind the Clip Browser only works on Intel Macs. Clip Browser will not open on a G5. You'll get a compatibility warning message."

Like he says, when you click on the file and it starts to play go to the viewer optioin and get full screen... the footage looks pretty good.........
Thanks, it now works. But Steve is right in saying this is a very primitive piece of software - why not show filtered mp4's on switching to the right folder? Hopefully, it will show them when the root dir is set to the SxS card-mapped drive, as the proper directory structure will be there...

Anyway, I exported the mxf and loaded it into Vegas 8.0a, set for 1920x1080 project. The playback fps struggles, especially with 32bit floatin point video - but yes, I'm ready for editing stuff from the EX1 (now if it only be available at last) :)
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #14
Inner Circle

BTW, the 35Mbps mxf's are playable in WMP!
Old November 10th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
BTW, the 35Mbps mxf's are playable in WMP!
Not for me
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds