DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX to Final Cut Transfer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/107588-ex-final-cut-transfer.html)

Winston Ashley November 9th, 2007 04:25 PM

EX to Final Cut Transfer

What is the process of transfering the XDCAM EX files to final cut for editing? Anyone got ideas. Here is what I tried when, I used Alex's Download of ex test footage.

http://www.vecomvideo.com/pages/test_ex1.htm

I see it nice in the EX viewer but cannot export.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 772821)
Does not work at all in Final Cut Pro 6.0.1. One simply gets an error message. I suspect this will be fixed in an update coming soon given that the Sony Clip Browser can't convert the files to anything on the Mac.

It's the same for Final Cut 5.1

I tried the XDCAM Transfer software too. Nothing. I installed drivers for XDCAM HD in final cut but still can't import. No real import option available.

Anyone know how to transfer this over to final cut?

-Winston Ashley

Jamie Allan November 10th, 2007 10:07 AM

Surely those files are from a pre-production model though? Might be issues there maybe ?

Craig Seeman November 10th, 2007 10:14 AM

Sony is not changing the file structure. The clips were shot very recently and the EX1 is shipping in the next week or so.

The Sony Clip Browser for the EX can't export the files to .mxf on the Mac. It does in the Windows version.

There's no import software for .mp4 xdcam files on the Mac at all. I suspect that should change very shortly though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Allan (Post 773258)
Surely those files are from a pre-production model though? Might be issues there maybe ?

Steve Mullen November 10th, 2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 773260)
The Sony Clip Browser for the EX can't export the files to .mxf on the Mac. It does in the Windows version.

That explains why some claim they can convert while others can't!

It's possible that us Mac folks still don't have V1.1 despite downloading the latest version. Our software still says 1.0.

Does the windows version say 1.1?

Paul Ramsbottom November 10th, 2007 04:42 PM

AFAIK The Mac version doesn't permit the file exports like the new Win version. It just allows you to view, store etc.

The v1.0 > v1.1. was just for the Win folks.

Mac users will need to wait until FCP is updated before they can do anything with the files.

Winston Ashley November 10th, 2007 11:15 PM

HVD Firewire

I read the XDCAM website about how the XDCAM plugin works. They say the plugin "unwraps" the video from the code within making it readable to FCP. If its that easy why can't Sony launch a plugin with their EX camera?

When I get the camera in a couple weeks my only option to edit on FCP right now is to capture as HDV. I believe I read it correct that the iLink on the EX downconverts to HDV. I guess its like the V1 and it downconverts to a DV via iLink. Course its still real time capture.

Dang, I was hoping I could throw the stick in my Macbook and do a straight edit.

Is that our only option?

Steve Connor November 11th, 2007 02:04 AM

I wouldn't be surprised is we saw an FCP update very soon, there are some issues with the new OS that need to be fixed so hopefully the EX support will come at the same time.

Jody Eldred November 11th, 2007 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Connor (Post 773519)
I wouldn't be surprised is we saw an FCP update very soon, there are some issues with the new OS that need to be fixed so hopefully the EX support will come at the same time.

The EX codec is on the way. I used it to edit the soon-to-be-released Sony EX demos and it works fine. We intercut XDCAM HD and EX seamlessly.

Steven Thomas November 11th, 2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 773378)
Does the windows version say 1.1?

Under "about" is shows version 1.01.07.1567

Winston Ashley November 11th, 2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody Eldred (Post 773540)
The EX codec is on the way. I used it to edit the soon-to-be-released Sony EX demos and it works fine. We intercut XDCAM HD and EX seamlessly.

That is good news. Thanks for the upate! Do you know if the codec will work with both FCP 6 and 5.1?

Winston Ashley November 19th, 2007 02:43 PM

They're On The Way!

They are on the way. Here is an email from my contact at a place which shall not be named. If you need to know the source, email me.

Ashley,
Sony just confirmed cams shipped by ground 11/16 from Carson, CA. With the short week that means we get them on 11/26 and start shipping on 11/27. Thanks for your patience.

Lee Drady

(oops, I meant to put this on the shipping thread)