EX1: global or rolling shutter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 13th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Major Player

EX1: global or rolling shutter?

This article (below) brings up some serious issues with the rolling shutters used by CMOS cameras. Does anyone know whether the EX1 uses a rolling shutter?

http://dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Juan Martinez of Sony said the electronics behind the CMOS chip scan it top to bottom rather than across eliminating any rolling shutter (maybe really minimizing it's likelihood). Apparently it's being done differently in the EX1 than in say the V1.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I think the EX does use a rolling shutter, but there is a great deal of variation between rolling shutter implementations on differing cameras. The article puts the principles well, but a lot depends (like any shutter) on the speed at which it operates - a handheld still camera may show bad camera shake at 1/12s, but little at 1/125s, for example, and the same principle holds true here. By and large, the speed will be proportional to price.

Hence, the issues may well be serious with some CMOS cameras, but don't seem to be with others - Red also uses a rolling shutter.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Juan Martinez of Sony said the electronics behind the CMOS chip scan it top to bottom rather than across eliminating any rolling shutter (maybe really minimizing it's likelihood). Apparently it's being done differently in the EX1 than in say the V1.
Craig, can you expand this? Does this mean the EX1 CMOS scans a whole line at a time, or other method? If Sony is improving on a known issue with CMOS, rolling shutter, this is a good thing. Craig, thank you.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I'd hate to misqoute him but he didn't even need to wait for the question. Some of his presentation was specifically addressed at some criticism they've been getting about the technology ranging from 4:2:0 to CMOS rolling shutter. He had a Power Point slide at may have been referring to the speed at which the AD converters moves through the lines compared to the CMOS gathering info.

Basically he said you shouldn't see any skewing.

Seeing would be believing though. One might consider shooting out the window of a high speed train as it passes trees.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Craig. Questions and answers. Not long now, and the footage will start to flow...
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #7
Trustee

EX1 Rolling Shutter Strobe Artifact

I shot a police car at a traffic stop tonight with the EX1, and noted the same strobe light rolling shutter issue that has been spotted in Red One footage.

http://www.freshdv.com/2007/12/xdcam...artifacts.html

Will post some rolling shutter skew tests soon.
Matt Jeppsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Matt.

I just posted in another thread http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=111217
that switching the shutter off seems to stop the effect (at least with flash guns). Could you not just turn off the shutter for that type of shot?

regards

Paul.
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #9
Trustee

Thank you for that heads up, Paul. I'll test that out with a DSLR flash. Hopefully I can find another traffic stop as well for comparison.
Matt Jeppsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 03:35 AM   #10
Trustee

I've tested the EX with a consumer still camera, and it still catches some of the flashes in all the modes with the shutter turned off. I updated my above-linked post on the topic with example framegrabs.
Matt Jeppsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds