FCP 6.02 update adds EX Support at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 14th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP 6.02 update adds EX Support

I just ran a software update on my mac and noticed that apple have released a 6.02 update to final cut (and an update most of the fcs suite) amongst which are a lot of changes to support the XDCAM EX.

More here...

http://www.apple.com/support/release...ut_Pro_6.0_rn/

Last edited by Paul Joy; November 14th, 2007 at 08:17 PM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You may need to go to the apple site to download the updates.

Also the new sony transfer tool version 2.1 went live on www.sonybiz.net/xdcam today
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Paul and Alister for keeping us up to date.
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Has anyone found the XDCAM EX Plug-in for FC that is required? The final cut release notes specify it but defer to a sony link which reveals very little.

vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Vince,

Alister's post above contains the link to what's needed. There are numerous references in the XDCAM Transfer Software v2.1 software update page that references importing into Final Cut Pro, so hopefully this will do the trick

Brent
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Brent but the release notes refer to an XDCAM EX plug-in in addition to the xdcam transfer 2.1 software. that's what I'm looking for.

vince
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I would hope all the Sony software we need will come with the camera.
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have just installed both the Transfer Software Updatge v2.1 and the FCP 6.0.2 update, and now in the FCP File->Import menu there is an option to import Sony XDCAM. When you invoke the import option, it brings up a Sony XDCAM Transfer UI that says "Use the Add button to insert media into a connected XMCAM device".

When I point the transfer UI to an 'MXF' file, it does nothing. I can't select an XDCAM EX MP4 file (as found on the forum here). There doesn't seem to be a way to just import a file from anything other than an XDCAM device...

EDIT: correction, it looks like the Add... button wants you to specify a Source location and not a source file. When you press the 'Add...' button, do not select a file - just navigate to the source file location, then click Open - if you select a file, then it won't do anything. Once I did this, I was able to import an MXF file from an XDCAM HD (?), but it wouldn't see the MP4 files from an XDCAM EX

Brent
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Same here. There's another plug-in we need to find and i have not been able to yet.

"Transfer software and an XDCAM EX plug-in. For more information about this software, go to the Sony website at http://www.sony.com/xdcam."

"Important: A separate plug-in from Sony is required to enable these features."

it's in the release notes twice.

vince
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Regular Crew

hmmm... In the Sony docs for the transfer software, they refer to the FCP plug-in as part of the package (which does enable the Import functionality). The docs also explicitly refer to the XDCAM EX files as MP4 files. So, it's getting close.

I wonder if the sony.com link versus the sonybiz.net is just a country thing (since sonybiz.net doesn't offer United States as a country choice)

still, it doesn't work... :-)

Alister - have you gotten it to work with the clips you've captured?
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #11
Major Player

Did you guys see the SxS PRO device driver on this page? - http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...=1193315621889

could that be what your missing?
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #12
Regular Crew

yes, I did also install the sxs driver. I found that it's the same version driver that shipped with the xdcam clip viewer. I think it only serves to let sxs cards be mounted and accessed on the Mac
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #13
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Ethington View Post
I can't select an XDCAM EX MP4 file (as found on the forum here).

EDIT: correction, it looks like the Add... button wants you to specify a Source location and not a source file. When you press the 'Add...' button, do not select a file - just navigate to the source file location, then click Open - if you select a file, then it won't do anything. Once I did this, I was able to import an MXF file from an XDCAM HD (?), but it wouldn't see the MP4 files from an XDCAM EX
The Sony Browser required one to use ADD to select an MP4 file. This action, however, seems wrong to me.

It is possible that ADD works ONLY if you select a CARD. That makes sense as ADD would mean "add" MEDIA DEVICE. Once a DEVICE was added, all the MP4 files would show-up.

If so, you need to fake a card. Probably not possible. But it raises the question of how files you copy from a card to other device can be imported into FCP.
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Works on a macbookpro?

Hello, i am a new youser of Finalcutpro i used for long time casablanca systems.
I want buy a last generation Apple macbook pro 17 . Does 1080p, 35Mbit/s EX1 footage works good and fast on this nootebook?
Alessandro Zumstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #15
Regular Crew

So with this, you don't need an intel mac right. A regular G5 should be ok?
Mike Testin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds