Will EX1 work with DR60 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 14th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Will EX1 work with DR60 ?

I've read a few reviews but haven't found an answer yet.
Will the EX1 work with a DR60 direct to disc recorder (via firewire) - at least in HDV recording mode?

If so, that will enable up to 4.5 hours recording.

If this is not known, I shall try this out myself ...... when my EX1 arrives ....
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm curious to hear what the answer is as well. I've been researching the EX myself, and if it can use the DR60, that would be awesome. I'd also like to add to the original question... If the EX can in fact use the DR60, is there any way to perhaps format the DR60 so that you could record to it in the same format as you would with the SxS cards?
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Can use Hard Rive Recorders

Yes according to the brochure (see PDF above), the Sony will work with the DR60 (or Firestore even) out of the iLink. However it only outputs through that port at 1440x1080, the SP mode and it is HDV m2t, not MXF. You can record to the SxS in mp4 at the same time but you can still only record in SP mode not HQ mode (35mbit 1920x1080).

I mean Hard Drive not Hard Rive...Sincerely Scooby Doo.

Last edited by David Parks; November 14th, 2007 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Can't speel or spell.
David Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for that David - that's good news.
I didn't expect it to work with the 35 mbit setting, but being able to use it for HDV will be extremely handy on occasions.
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #5
Major Player

Hmm... So it will record in HDV mode to the DR 60. I guess the next question would be to find out if it's possible to record to the SxS cards in say, 25 or 35 Mbps mode, and then transfer those files to a DR60 connected to the firewire port between shots or even on the fly. That would be cool if that was possible... That way, you wouldn't need to have a laptop with you. You'd just fill up your DR60 or Firestore with those XDCAM EX files and transfer them to your editing system when you got back from shooting.
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Shawn - from the pdf specs, the firewire port seems to be restricted to HDV only.

For those occasions when I'm recording full 35 Mbit HD for longer than my SxS cards allow, I'll also be using a laptop to "unload" one card whilst recording to the other - shouldn't be too much of a hassle, I hope ...
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Yes and heres how it works. Set XDCam in cam to SP 25mbps. This will then trigger the iLink port to activate. This then sends that same 25mbps signal straight out the firewire port into any other HDV capable device, such as FX1 or Firestore or even direct to laptop capture to HDV

The difference here is that youre stuck on 25mbps, irrespective of the codec. You also kill off resolution and with 25mbps you're stuck on 1440x1080, not the full 1920.

You WILL NOT be able to record 35mbps onto card and 25mbps onto HDD. The iLink connection cuts off if you go over or below the 25mbps.

As for transferring files from card to DR60, as the EX does not act as a file server or "master" drive (like the HVX does... which is why you can use an ipod with your HVX if you really wanted to). In any case, I do not believe this will be possible, however I wouldn't put it past Sony to sort this issue out with a firmware update. Sony have gone to many lengths to accommodate the needs of the many with this, and a couple of other upcoming cameras, so I wouldn't put anything past them at this time.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Peter,

Yeah, it looks like you're right. It seems like a shame though, since I think the EX would be a great camera to take out in the field- like out into the back country and mountains here in Alaska, and lugging around a laptop is pretty much out of the question. I think the addition of a file transfer command through the firewire port to a simple external drive would help make this camera so much more portable. Oh well, I can still dream!
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #9
Trustee

Shawn, you won't have to if the future firmware upgrade (mentioned in another thread) supports the cheaper Express cards. Four 32GB cards would offer almost 3.5HRS of 1080P 35 mb footage.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Steven, fortunately your math is off.
8GB=25min
16GB=50min
32GB=100min

Thus 2 32GB is 200min 3hrs 20min
Thus 4 32GB would be 6hrs 40min @35mbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Shawn, you won't have to if the future firmware upgrade (mentioned in another thread) supports the cheaper Express cards. Four 32GB cards would offer almost 3.5HRS of 1080P 35 mb footage.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #11
Trustee

LOL.
Yes it was and you're right about it being fortunately.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds