EX and HVX200 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Closed Thread

Old November 19th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #61
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
It's mentioned all the time in the form of the advertised recording resolutions of the cameras.
No it ain't.

The recording resolution is quite often a different thing from the resolution of the image sensor, which may or may not involve Pixel Shift (case in point: the VariCam and DVCPRO HD, see Thomas Smet above). I don't see how you can possibly draw a connection there. The recording resolutions are tied to the format and they are what they are. As I said, spatial offset is seldom mentioned.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old November 19th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #62
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
The recording resolution is quite often a different thing from the resolution of the image sensor, which may or may not involve Pixel Shift...I don't see how you can possibly draw a connection there.
It's an obvious connection to me: would anyone have pre-ordered the HVX200 if it was marketed as a "540p" video camera? But enough of this: let's enjoy the fact that the EX1 has both a sensor and recording format with full 1080p resolution. That's a good thing which will matter to some users.
Old November 19th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #63
New Boot

Pixel shift Smixel shift. The real question was how the EX-1 is going to handle fast moving action! Can't wait to get some real world reviews on this issue as now it is all speculation.
Old November 19th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #64
Trustee

Man, I wish we all lived closer to get together and have a few beers. I bet we'd all start agreeing more. LOL

Sometimes it real hard to get your thoughts across via the internet.
I can easily see both sides on this one.
Old November 19th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #65
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McEntire View Post
Pixel shift Smixel shift. The real question was how the EX-1 is going to handle fast moving action! Can't wait to get some real world reviews on this issue as now it is all speculation.
I'll tell you what. if it manitains the clarity I'm seeing in the frame grabs posted this morning, it's going to turn a lot of heads.
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #66
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Man, I wish we all lived closer to get together and have a few beers. I bet we'd all start agreeing more. LOL

Sometimes it real hard to get your thoughts across via the internet.
I can easily see both sides on this one.
But could we all agree on what type of beer to buy? Thats the real question here. Does one camera taste great while the other may be less filling?
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #67
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
But could we all agree on what type of beer to buy?
Probably not, but assuming we could all manage to get together, I'll gladly provide a round of Shiner Bock for everybody.

Old November 19th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #68
Trustee

Sounds good to me!

http://www.shiner.com/beers/images/Bock.gif
Old November 20th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #69
Regular Crew

I love these discussions. Look. I've used the XHA1 quite awhile. I've used the HD110, hv10, blah blah blah...

The XHa1 produced some amazing footage. I loved the imagery. I just got the HVX a few weeks ago and I can tell you that I prefer the HVX HD over the canon.

And when the EX comes out, I'll have one. But I don't expect it to be vastly superior to the HVX or Canon for that matter. I said it before, the HVX is the best video tool out there because it does everything. It doesn't do it all better, but it does everything. The EX1 will do some things better, but it doesn't do everything.

I, like many other Canon users were trying to set our cameras up to "look like HVX" footage in the area of color.

I'm excited about the EX1 but I expect it will do that one thing slightly better. And that's resolution. But I'm more than pleased with the final output of the HVX.

Those that understand binary, and those that don't!"
Old November 20th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #70
Inner Circle

Okay, everybody drink two beers and then vote: is the EX1 camera body uglier than the HVX200 or about the same? :-)
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #71
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks to everyone for a friendly and amiable way to conclude a hot thread.

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds