EX1 footage thread - keep it coming! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 21st, 2007, 01:57 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Thanks Andreas for the footage.
It looks good, though I see the tennis stuff is a bit over exposed.
This would of looked a lot better.
Were you using gain?
I don't think we used gain. Per Axel came up with the idea to go over to the tennis courts so I tagged along. It could have been better I guess but we only wanted to get files to work with and share some files.

Earlier I wrote that I and Per Axel took the footage, that should have been Per Axel and I because I only shot some footage and Per Axel set the camera up :)

We also have some outdoor footage of the street behind the University but it was really boring footage since the weather is really dull here right now.

I can put it up on my web page.

http://ex.bolanski.com
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:21 AM   #17
New Boot

What am I doing wrong

Andreas,

I'm logging on to your website and I can't get the clips to play. I have a G4 and the latest version of quicktime... what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Wesley
Wesley Alfvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:36 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Alfvin View Post
Andreas,

I'm logging on to your website and I can't get the clips to play. I have a G4 and the latest version of quicktime... what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Wesley
Try vlc http://www.videolan.org
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:40 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Johansson View Post
I
We also have some outdoor footage of the street behind the University but it was really boring footage since the weather is really dull here right now.

I can put it up on my web page.

http://ex.bolanski.com
Andreas, I can't find it - would be interesting to see how it resolves dull scenery. Have you actually put it on the server?
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:44 AM   #20
New Boot

As Andreas already has written we more or less took the camera out of the box and shot a few first samples just to be able to get some EX-files to play with and also share with you all (thanks also to Ola).

Yes, the tennis pictures are a bit over exposed. We used no gain but let the camera auto iris on a neutral motif, then went manual. For white balance we used preset. The hall was lit by some quite evil fluorescent lights but we thought it looked okay in the LCD (which by the way is excellent!).

I have noticed that the auto iris seems to be over exposing slightly. This is a very common behaviour in my experience, but you can adjust the auto iris on the EX1 so it shouldn't be a problem (if you want to use the auto iris!), but we need to some more thorough testing before we make our minds up and make any changes.

Hopefully we will get time to do some more testing today and tomorrow, and we will keep you all posted.

Ackel
Per-Axel Gjores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:58 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Andreas, I can't find it - would be interesting to see how it resolves dull scenery. Have you actually put it on the server?
Since I wrote "I can put it up on my web page." I haden't at the time. It's there now.

/Andreas
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:05 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Thanks, Andreas!

I'm watching them with mixed feelings. The picture is incredibly sharp (especially the progressive stuff), but again - (like the greenish wall in the tennis hall) - I can see fair amount of shimmering in the dark trees area of it. It's foggy, yes, but the fog doesn't move, and here one can see the exactly same noise pattern as on the V1E!

As expected, the movement with 720/50p is fabulous - sooo much smoother than with 25p...

I wonder what others think of this...

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; November 21st, 2007 at 06:50 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:43 AM   #23
Major Player

I have just put together a short selection of clips I've taken this morning. The file is 335Mb in size and is 720/25p saved as quicktime straight out of final cut.

Would anyone be interested in hosting it or shall I compress it?

Paul.
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:51 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Thanks, Andreas!

I'm watching them with mixed feelings. The picture is incredibly sharp (especially the 25p stuff), but again - (like the yellowish wall in the tennis hall) - I can see fair amount of shimmering in the dark trees area of it. It's foggy, yes, but the fog doesn't move, and here one can see the exactly same noise pattern as on the V1E!

As expected, the movement with 720/50p is fabulous - much smoother than with 1080/25p...

I wonder what others think of this...
How are you viewing the footage? Im looking using VLC and i don't see anything i'd call shimmering. I guess there are many types of decompressors and maybe there's some kind of post effect you're seeing. Can you try different viewers to see if you see different results?

What i do see is a lot of constantly shifting noise, like a high ISO cmos dSLR. It's not necessarily an objectionable effect but it is 'different'. Im very surprised the compressor is able to deal with this high frequency noise (it's not macroblocking but very fine pixel leve noise (at least it looks like that))

Do we know what gain or other settings these were recorded with.

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:55 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Paul, we're probably just using different terms to describe the same phonomenon. Anyway, I can see it in EX1 clip browser, VLC, WMP and in Vegas, so it's there...
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:01 AM   #26
Major Player

Here's a compressed version of the clips I shot today. I made a schoolboy error and in my haste to get some daylight shots forgot to white balance and so I've edited the colour balance of some of the clips.

Most of the shots are 720/25p with no picture profile selected (standard). The only exceptions are the pegs, which is shot at 1080/25p and downscaled in post, and the shot of the tap which was done using over cranking to 60p and with CINE1 selected as a picture profile.

http://www.olikai.com/ex1/
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 footage thread - keep it coming!-pegs.jpg   EX1 footage thread - keep it coming!-tap.jpg  

EX1 footage thread - keep it coming!-car.jpg   EX1 footage thread - keep it coming!-gnome.jpg  

Last edited by Paul Joy; November 21st, 2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: I've colour corrected the shots effected by incorrect white balance now and added a few more clips.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:06 AM   #27
Major Player

Piotr,

Yes, it could be that. I've found all of the footage i've seen so far show this type of noise. As i said it looks like high iso dSLR noise in motion, which could be an artifact of CMOS.

I would like to know what the settings were on the shoot. Andreas, i really appreciate you guys putting this out there. any chance for some shooting specs are have you already supplied that and im being a bit blind at the moment?

Of course it could be interesting to see whether the same types of denoise tools can deal with it or surpress it a bit.

Paul - that footage looks fantastic, that's certainly shown off DOF to great effect. Of course i have to ask - any chance of full captured files at some point?

thanks everyone!
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:09 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Here's a compressed version of the clips I shot today. I made a schoolboy error and in my haste to get some daylight shots forgot to white balance and so it's a little bit blueish... D'oh! But I still think it looks lovely, and check out the DOF!

http://www.olikai.com/ex1/
Paul, thanks - the DOF is really impressive and usable on the EX1!
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:23 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Curtis View Post
Piotr,

Yes, it could be that. I've found all of the footage i've seen so far show this type of noise. As i said it looks like high iso dSLR noise in motion, which could be an artifact of CMOS.

I would like to know what the settings were on the shoot. Andreas, i really appreciate you guys putting this out there. any chance for some shooting specs are have you already supplied that and im being a bit blind at the moment?

Of course it could be interesting to see whether the same types of denoise tools can deal with it or surpress it a bit.
Yes I agree - there are settings in the Picture Profiles that could probably alleviate this, but surely at the expense of the sharpness...
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:44 AM   #30
Major Player

Can anyone shoot some test footage indoors whilst a flashgun is fired off please, so as to see whether there is any issue with this scenario? Thanks.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds