EX1 footage thread - keep it coming! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Major Player

EX1 footage thread - keep it coming!

Okej - my friend Per-Axel (the guy with two (!) EX1-cameras) has been out and done some filming today. He did not have much time and I had specifically asked him for som HDV (25 Mbit 1080i) material to test Avid-compatibility so that's all I've got for now.

Two fast moving clips of some indoor tennis to put the HDV-codec at a test!

The clips are straight from the cards with all metadata and files just like they are on the SxS-card.

You can download them from my ftp-server. Okey guys - don't overload my Internet connection now please. ;-)

ftp://kamrat.selfip.net/public/EX1/

Ooops - seems like he has already uploaded some more... Don't know what it is yet - have a look for your self... :-)
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #2
New Boot

Maybe it's just me, but the FTP server asks for a username / password, and anon login doesn't work.
Brad Bodily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bodily View Post
Maybe it's just me, but the FTP server asks for a username / password, and anon login doesn't work.
And more precisely, 3 out of 5 directories do...
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Plenty of server space and bandwidth for hosting video clips right here at DV Info Net.

Just shoot me an email (chris at dvinfo dot net) for uploading privs.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Original takes on a server.

I and Per Axel shot the footage. I have put them on a webpage here

http://ex.bolanski.com/

Please don't put them on other ftp servers, then nobody will know where they came from or what kind of files they are.

/Andreas
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The 720/25p inside dimly lit room is awesome. Which one of you guys is at the computer?

The tennis interlaced video does show some shimmering on the dark-greenish "walls", though...
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Its me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
The 720/25p inside dimly lit room is awesome. Which one of you guys is at the computer?

The tennis interlaced video does show some shimmering on the dark-greenish "walls", though...
That would be me in the room.

/Andreas
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Avid Liquid Works, Xpress Didn't

Okay. With the 1080/50i tennis footage I had the same results as I did with the 1080p/24footage from Germany.

Liquid imported as MXF and edited right into a 50i timeline. In fact although it rendered, it edited into a 60i timeline with no problem. Playback looked good.

Xpress. The same problems as before with 25p. Imported as mp4 and MXF in a 50i and even 50i HDV as a clip but played back green.

I'll keep working on it. I'm checking my preferences to make sure I'm not overlooking a setting.

Cheers

Big Edit: Okay. Now it works fine. I think I might have had OMF vs. MXF in Media Creation Setting but I reopened the app and it worked great.

So, we know that the 25mbit SP 1080i works on Avid's.

EDIT #2: I imported the the into a 25p project for kicks and it worked. So what that tells me is that Avid support 25mbit but not the HQ 35mbit mode.

Edit # 3: Downloaded new codecs version 1.6 and 35mbit MXF worked. Cheers.....

Last edited by David Parks; November 20th, 2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Fixed it!!!!
David Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #9
Inner Circle

All the "tennis" clips are awesome, but the girls playing tennis are even more beautiful.

Everything gets properly exported to mxfs by the clip browser, and opens perfectly in Vegas 8.0a here.

The shimmering is something that remains me of my V1E handling of a single colour, darkish areas though... Even more impatient to test them side by side!
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Johansson View Post
Please don't put them on other ftp servers, then nobody will know where they came from or what kind of files they are.
Just to clarify, if they're hosted from our FTP server, everybody will know where they came from (because they're posted under your name) and what kind of files they are (because we indicate that plus other information).

It's certainly your right to turn me down, but please don't complain when traffic from DV Info Net soaks your bandwidth. My offer continues to be extended to you and anyone else who cares to share their EX1 video, as DV Info Net's server can easily handle the load that our visitors put on it while keeping your own resources untaxed. Just an FYI,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #11
Regular Crew

A bit off topic

I used ffmpeg to do conversion of the pre released .mp4 clips and when I read the license agreement of the Clip Browser I saw it used ffmpeg.

My guess is it uses ffmpeg to do the unwrap thing to mxf. So ffmpeg can be used stand alone to do great stuf on the Ex1 mp4 files.

EX1.mp4 to DV25 (PAL)
ffmpeg –i inputfile.mp4 –f dv –s 720x576 output.dv

EX1.mp4 to Mpeg2 and wav
ffmpeg -y -i inputfile.mp4 -vcodec copy -f mpeg2video outputfile.m2v -acodec pcm_s16le outputfile.wav

EX1.mp4 to DNxHD 36Mbit and wav (-b 36, 120 or 185)
ffmpeg -y -i inputfile.mp4 -vcodec dnxhd -b 36Mb -an outputfile.mov && ffmpeg -y -i inputfile.mp4 -vn -acodec pcm_s16le outputfile.wav

DNxHD from ffmpeg is 1080 only at the moment and no sound so a separate wav file is needed. For 1080/50i files use -vcodec dnxhd -b 36Mb -flags +ildct

The reason for the test footage is to get our Media Composers to play nice whit the Ex1, so I'm going to try all kind of solutions this week and this ffmpeg stuff is what I did before we got two Ex1's

/Andreas
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Andreas. That's great info we could all use.
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #13
New Boot

How do I add the files to final cut pro? (5.1.4)
When I try file, import, sony xdcam, it brings me to the xdcam transfer
application (2.1), but this does not give me the option to add the downloaded files.
Jan Boersma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I think you'll need FCP 6.0.2. Alas for me I'm not getting any further than you even though I have FCP 6.0.2 on two different computers (one PPC and One Intel). I use Clip Browser and it places files in a BPAV folder. That folder is grayed out when I try to point to it with the xdcam xfer plugin (2.1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Boersma View Post
How do I add the files to final cut pro? (5.1.4)
When I try file, import, sony xdcam, it brings me to the xdcam transfer
application (2.1), but this does not give me the option to add the downloaded files.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #15
Trustee

Thanks Andreas for the footage.
It looks good, though I see the tennis stuff is a bit over exposed.
This would of looked a lot better.
Were you using gain?

1080 25P HQ resized to 1112x634 (Don't ask... LOL)
http://members.cox.net/vx2000/EX1_10...HQ_Resized.bmp

Last edited by Steven Thomas; November 20th, 2007 at 04:10 PM. Reason: added image link
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds