Vignette problem - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 14th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #301
Trustee

That's outstanding! When I had a problem with the viewfinder going dead on my Z1U (which happens to be your Z1U Chris ;), Sony was prompt in taking care of it.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #302
Trustee

That's good news.

What surprises me was the statement "very small percentage".
Having read that, It seems odd most of us who received their cameras and are members of this forum have the vignette problem.

Based on this fact, the percentage is a LOT higher than stated. Either that or we all are very unlucky ;)
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #303
Inner Circle

I think the forum is a 'self selecting sampling' as they say in statistical analysis. Probably not indicative of the 'general' overall market. Having said that, I suspect the choice not to use an actual number concerning the percentage of faulty lenses is also telling.

Good on Sony for owning up and offering a solution.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #304
Inner Circle

And even one (or more) of those who don't have the camera but checked their dealer's camera saw the issue too.

I think there's a fine line between managing Public Relations and Credibility but I'll make no further comment on that.

One doesn't know how such "percentage" is being measured though. No sense in speculating there either.

One can say the issue stretched across shipments to several countries/continents.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #305
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke View Post
... If your camcorder exhibits the symptom described please call our Product

Operational Support Center at 1-800-883-6817, option 2-5-2 for advice on how to proceed."
I just called to check on the procedure to get the camera repaired and was told they were still awaiting official word on the issue and the actual procedure to get the camera to their facility for the repair. Should be a couple of days before this happens...
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #306
Major Player

I started another thread about a fix that a dealer told me. I'm not sure it will work, but I will give it a try. It might be that this fix, using the hidden Maintenance menu, is the "10 minute adjustment" mentioned in this thread. Then again, it might not.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...473#post792473
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #307
Regular Crew

Good grief people. Who cares how many it is. Is there a reason Sony needs to tell you how many units?

The important part is they are aware, they have a fix, and are getting set up to perform the work on the cameras.

Problem found, problem recognized, problem solved

Isn't that all that really matters?

K

Last edited by Kyle Self; December 14th, 2007 at 01:00 PM. Reason: lol, I can't type
Kyle Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #308
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Self View Post
Good grief people. Who cares how many it is.

LOL...
Spoken from someone who does not own one. ;)

Hmmm...
Who cares, let's see.....
Anyone who owns one and has the problem. Sony WANTS to know how many have the issue. They need to determine if it's a broken or defective unit opposed to being a problem across all current initial released units.

According to the person I spoke to at Sony, they're hearing it's world wide.
Take a look at how many who have read this thread alone. Something over 23,000. There might be some interest.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #309
Inner Circle

The reason to care how many are affected, and whether or not Sony is being upfront with that, is to determine the business model that Sony operates under. And yes, that is important to many people.

There is a difference between the following scenarios.

A problem is discovered, and a company hides/denies it
A problem is discovered, and company only admits it to those who discover it.
A problem is discovered, the company downplays it in the press, in order to supress the number of people LOOKING for the problem, and therefore limit their liability.
A problem is discovered, and the company moves agressively to recall the product and offers to fix it for free.
A problem is discovered BY THE COMPANY immediately after shipping, and all deliveries are halted untill such time as all products may be recalled for testing.

And any number of variations on the above scenarios. Each of these represents a different cost/benefit in terms of capital and REPUTATION. How a company handles these sorts of develpments means a lot to those who intend to do business with that company in the future. This is true of cameras, cars, toys... whatever.

So yes, people really do care what the actual extent of the issue is, VS how Sony characterizes it and deals with it.

I'd say they are doing a pretty good job. Not A+ mind you... but pretty good.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #310
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
I think the forum is a 'self selecting sampling' as they say in statistical analysis. Probably not indicative of the 'general' overall market.
Absolutely right, and often overlooked among forum "regulars," especially those who post on numerous sites. DV Info Net is indeed the home of the single largest XDCAM EX community on the web, but only a very small percentage of XDCAM EX owners bother to look up anything about the camera online (and that's true for *any* camcorder make and model). And then out of the small slice of owners who are looking up this camera online, only a small number of them are actually posting about it... hence this forum is, as Richard correctly points out, not at all indicative of the general overall market. It's the best on the web, of course. But definitely *not* an indication of the overall market.

Now that Sony is responding to this issue, expect to see this thread wind down.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #311
Major Player

The dreaded vignette...

So I asked Danny what our chances were in this country of getting a model that had the vignetting problem and he said that it wouldn't happen.

I felt even more confident, given that my box had been "opened for inspection by product testing."

However, when I finally got around to testing the issue (four times), I clearly get the vignetting.

It is quite obvious on the top and bottom right hand corners. This is just one of many screenshots where it is obvious. There were other frames where it was worse than this.

It seems to be happening at the same range of zoom (from about 10 - 15) as everyone else.

Now in America it sounds like they have a number to call if they have the problem... what do we do over here?
Attached Thumbnails
Vignette problem-vignetting.jpg  
Old December 15th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #312
Inner Circle

Hi John...

Take it back and reject it as "of not mechantable quality". Nothing else you can do.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 02:13 AM   #313
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Take it back and reject it as "of not mechantable quality". Nothing else you can do.

CS
But everyone's been saying that there is a quick fix - they take it back and fiddle with it for a while and fix it - isn't that the case? I don't want to lose it!!

Do you say that based on my screenshot? In your opinion is that vignetting unacceptable? Or am I being overly critical??
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #314
Major Player

John, you go back to Danny. If it is the misalignment issue it will have to visit Sony. You may be able to transport it yourself. The reliable authorised service guys are Pro Hi-Tech, in South Melbourne, whom I presume will be the people involved. Sony does use other people as well.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #315
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
John, you go back to Danny. If it is the misalignment issue it will have to visit Sony. You may be able to transport it yourself. The reliable authorised service guys are Pro Hi-Tech, in South Melbourne, whom I presume will be the people involved. Sony does use other people as well.
Thanks Serena,

Yours doesn't have the problem?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds