Vignette problem - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 4th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #556
Major Player

Dennis, I don't think the serial numbers are sequential like that. The first digit seems to be some sort of region or series code and the rest of the digits are the actual serial number.

For example 200,001 was built before 110,000.

1xxxxx seems to be for the US cameras and it could be that after 10,000 they got it fixed. I am not sure that I've seen any complaints from anyone with the last 5 digits over 10,000. Anyone?
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #557
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli View Post
Dennis, I don't think the serial numbers are sequential like that. The first digit seems to be some sort of region or series code and the rest of the digits are the actual serial number.

For example 200,001 was built before 110,000.

1xxxxx seems to be for the US cameras and it could be that after 10,000 they got it fixed. I am not sure that I've seen any complaints from anyone with the last 5 digits over 10,000. Anyone?

I agree with you but thats what he said and I was confused. Also, I dont think I have heard of anyone with the last 5 digits being over 3,000. I may be wrong
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #558
Inner Circle

Are you sure about the 6-digit numbers? Mine is 0400653 (7 digits); do you mean that Sony says anything above 0,110,000 is OK (or should it read 1,100,000?)

If it's the former, it's simply not true. If the latter, than how many did they sell already?!!
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #559
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Are you sure about the 6-digit numbers? Mine is 0400653 (7 digits); do you mean that Sony says anything above 0,110,000 is OK (or should it read 1,100,000?)

If it's the former, it's simply not true. If the latter, than how many did they sell already?!!
Very confusing indeed. I think you guys should start calling Sony directly and lettign them know of this issue because the more they are aware the more they will do something. Here is the number to get in touch with the department that is handeling this situation> 1-800-883-6817 and then press 252
. They will be able to give you more answers
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #560
Major Player

I'm furious at the moment so probably shouldn't post right now but I have to vent some steam.

Sony are basically saying that although they can see the problem in my example footage they could not replicate it when testing my camera so will not do anything further until I can provide evidence that a problem exists!

What other evidence can I provide?

I feel like I'm being treated as a liar now, man I really thought dealing with Sony was going to be different to this.

Paul.
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #561
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
I'm furious at the moment so probably shouldn't post right now but I have to vent some steam.

Sony are basically saying that although they can see the problem in my example footage they could not replicate it when testing my camera so will not do anything further until I can provide evidence that a problem exists!

What other evidence can I provide?

I feel like I'm being treated as a liar now, man I really thought dealing with Sony was going to be different to this.

Paul.
It's funny because when I told the guy over at Sony that people are still having issues with vignetting with the newer serial numbers his response was "No they're not".
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #562
Trustee

I spoke to Phil Myers Paul and he says can you go to Basingstoke to replicate the problem with their engineers present as they are stumped. I know it's a long way...
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #563
Regular Crew

maybe their new policy is: "if we cant fix it, we just deny that there is a problem" ?
Paul, your situation makes me furious as well, knowing my camera is still at their repair shop and there is a huge probability that it will be returned with even more problems then before...

Crappy customer service!!!
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #564
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Paul, have you spoken to Phil Myers?
Yes, it's Phil who just let me know.

Last edited by Paul Joy; March 4th, 2008 at 11:51 AM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #565
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
I spoke to Phil Myers Paul and he says can you go to Basingstoke to replicate the problem with their engineers present as they are stumped. I know it's a long way...
Edit:
I don't like to air private emails on forums so I have removed this response.

I think I'll take a chill pill and deal with this later. Sorry for venting.
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #566
Major Player

This may seem a silly suggestion but can you take the 'unit of unmerchantable quality' route and get a new camera?
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #567
Major Player

To the West Coasters,

Been devouring this thread and there still seems to be issues with the vignette, backfocus, and ND. And just recently, Phil Bloom talked to his Sony rep in the UK and their engineers are willing to have a camera owner come in and demonstrate some of the problems their having with the EX1, which the engineers can't seem to replicate in the shop.

So, Phil Bloom has some Sony clout obviously - he's earned it as well. Maybe his rep knows someone at Sony San Jose,CA that will allow someone here the same courtesy. You could demonstrate the issues with vignette, the backfocus, the ND, etc...

I know SW airlines offers roundtrips routinely from major SW Cities from $79 and $99 airfares. That and a rental car... seems like a small investment when there's $7000 already on the line. Probably get your camera fixed and the information hopefully will get back to Sony Japan.

Lonnie

Last edited by Lonnie Bell; March 4th, 2008 at 02:24 PM.
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #568
Major Player

Piotr,
If Eric's serial number theory is correct, he's stating your in Region 4, and yours is the 653 camera out of that batch.
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #569
Major Player

Does anyone here have a unit from North america with the last 5 digits over 5,000. B&H currently has units that are allready at 6,000+.
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #570
Regular Crew

Screenshots - Backfocus problem

I thought I could post a screenshot how terrible the focus problem on my loaner camera is.

The first picture was done with ND1 ON at f1,9. I zoomed in, focused near the infinity mark and zoomed out:

The second picture:
the same procedure and settings as above but when at wide, I turned the focus to the 0,8 meter stop.

I´ve got some feedback from other EX1 owners from a german forum who have the exactly same problem! I´m still shocked that Sony would deliver such bad cameras.
Attached Thumbnails
Vignette problem-nd1-f1komma9unendlich.jpg   Vignette problem-f1komma9nd1-08m.jpg  

Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds