Vignette problem - Page 44 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 21st, 2008, 08:12 AM   #646
Inner Circle

My forum buddy Mark Weiss has just posted this:

''BTW, mine just came back from repair with a firmware upgrade that fixed the
backfocus problems. Camera is tack sharp with ND on or off, now.''

I'm assuming that tests to see if the NDs affect the focus have to be done up close and at wide-open aperture, right? Or is back focus different from this, and errors are visible at any focal length, focused distance and aperture setting?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM   #647
Regular Crew

Wide open aperture is a must for this test.
with ND on - Zoom in and focus on an object thats far away, close to the infinity mark. (trees are a good subject to check the focus)
Zoom out and voilá - soft image.
Best to watch it on a big monitor, but my problem can also be seen on the LCD. When I turn the focus ring to the 0.8m mark the image becomes sharper at wide open zoom.
This test can be done in under one minute.
You should also shoot a static scene with ND off and ND on and make a split screen composition in your NLE. One guy who thought his camera was perfectly fixed was very surprised by the difference between ND on and ND off... I´m convinced there is still a difference and an issue.
I do not want to bash this camera - it would be such a great camera if it would not have the backfocus issue.
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 04:21 PM   #648
Regular Crew

Just swapped out my EX1 today for a SN in the 2500's, and the vignetting is better. I haven't noticed any back focus problems, although it does have the 1.03 FW. I heard from the dealer today that Sony is low on supply right now, and a new batch will be delivered sometime next month. Monday morning I'm going to call Sony and see if I can switch mine out once the new batch arrives if they are in fact any better. I should say, it is very minor, and it certainly isn't going to stop me from shooting with an otherwise amazing camera.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:30 PM   #649
Regular Crew

Well I found have the backfocus issue as well and my cam was already back for the vignette fix in January. When the cam returned I gave it a quick look and the vignetting was better although not gone. I figured I would leave well enough alone since it was better. The camera was not use until last week on guess what? an outdoor shoot, and what do you think was discovered when ND was added...

This is maddening since it was already back once for 2 weeks, and from what I read in this thread it may go back and still not be right when returned.

Ill post what response I get from sony...

Chuck
Chuck Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #650
Major Player

With details off I would expect the image to be more soft when you zoom out. I'm assuming you guys are testing with details on?
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #651
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph View Post
With details off I would expect the image to be more soft when you zoom out. I'm assuming you guys are testing with details on?
I did the test with both settings, and both are soft...
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #652
Regular Crew

I will check but I believe detail was on and set to 0

Sony wants me to email them stills showing the focus problem.

Chuck
Chuck Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #653
Regular Crew

even with detail off there should not be any difference with ND on or off at the backfocus
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #654
Major Player

I don't know if anyone has asked this question or if it makes sense but has anyone tried "peaking" when zooming out during ND 1 and ND 2?

Would it still show peaking even if it was out of focus or would it go off?
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #655
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Heslip View Post
One interesting new development concerns the iris. After shooting all afternoon in manual, I powered the camera up to find the iris would not move, as if auto-iris had taken control. OK, must have bumped it. Nope. Everything was still set to manual, but it would not budge. Re-set power again and all was well. I'm willing to chalk it up to user error somehow, but this was not the first time it has happened.
Bill, just so you know, it wasn't operator error on your part because the exact same thing happened to me a while back. I thought I had pushed the magic button by mistake (auto-everything) but this was not the case. The camera had a death grip on the iris and wasn't about to relinquish control until I powered it off and then on again.

So now we know we're not BOTH going crazy and that it has to be a software thing that hopefully will be addressed in a future firmware upgrade.

- Don

ps - actually, I'm still crazy but you're ok :)

Last edited by Don Greening; March 24th, 2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #656
Regular Crew

My EX-1 (Serial #103707) just finally put up on the big 1080p screen was OK as far as vignetting, but displayed egregious problems with backfocus. No matter how set (Clear, ND 1 or 2), and focused sharply while zoomed out at about 85 feet, when pulled back to wide just turned the tree limbs at 85 feet to total MUSH. I fooled myself into thinking it was ok when viewed on the Sony's LCD screen, and the peaking indicated that everything was in focus. Don't be fooled: examine it as a normally large image!

I contacted Max today at B&H about the faulty unit, and B&H is taking it back and will have a replacement on my doorstep tomorrow, all at their expense, coming and going. What service!

This is the first new camera from Sony that I have had ANY difficulty with since 1991. Given the experience with many of you here, I decided not to attempt the Auto FB or to even look to see what software version was installed. And certainly at this point, I wasn't ready to send the camera back to Sony for an attempted repair, again given the adverse experience of so many of you.

If the camera arriving tomorrow also appears faulty, I won't burden B&H again. They have certainly done more than their part! At that point I'll try the Auto FB, and if that fails, contact Sony, and go back to the FX-1 (boo-hoo) for the duration.

What a shame, with an otherwise largely stunning camera. And thanks to you all for your informative posts, plus, minus, and instructional.

The only remaining issue, one way or the other, will be attempting to straighten out the issue of the original carton I'm sending back to B&H, which unfortunately has the serial number info cut out - I had already sent in a claim for the "free" battery, quite mistakenly expecting that having ordered a later delivered unit, that it would be in acceptable operating condition.
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #657
Regular Crew

Funny you mention that William, I had already registered with them for the free sxs card when I decided to exchange my first one.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #658
Regular Crew

So Sean, were you able to effect the camera exchange with the box serial number cut off? And as far as you know, what does this do to your "free" card?
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #659
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Greening View Post
Bill, just so you know, it wasn't operator error on your part because the exact same thing happened to me a while back. I thought I had pushed the magic button by mistake (auto-everything) but this was not the case. The camera had a death grip on the iris and wasn't about to relinquish control until I powered it off and then on again.
I've had that issue myself for a couple of times... And it is not the camera going to Auto Iris mode, because it won't react to changes in illumination, it just gets "stuck". I think it was after powering up the camera, the iris goes from the Close position to where it was when powering down, but after that, instead of releasing the power to the iris motor drive, it remains activated and doesn't move neither towards the open nor the close positions.
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #660
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lorente View Post
I've had that issue myself for a couple of times... And it is not the camera going to Auto Iris mode, because it won't react to changes in illumination, it just gets "stuck". I think it was after powering up the camera, the iris goes from the Close position to where it was when powering down, but after that, instead of releasing the power to the iris motor drive, it remains activated and doesn't move neither towards the open nor the close positions.
I also had this stuck iri twice. A stop/start of the camera did the trick.
But what is the point with the vignetting issue ? :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds