DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Vignette problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/108433-vignette-problem.html)

Paul Joy November 22nd, 2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sami Sanpakkila (Post 780071)
Those who have it have you tried to see if the vignetting appears both on manual and auto focus setting?

It makes no difference, neither does setting OIS on/off.

Dave Elston November 22nd, 2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Joy (Post 780075)
neither does setting OIS on/off.

Paul, are you able to verify that OIS itself is actually working when it is ON?
Just a guess that it is possibly 'stuck' or mis-aligned in a far-left bias, causing the vignette.

Steven Thomas November 22nd, 2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Elston (Post 780078)
Paul, are you able to verify that OIS itself is actually working when it is ON?
Just a guess that it is possibly 'stuck' or mis-aligned in a far-left bias, causing the vignette.

Now that's a good question.

Paul Joy November 22nd, 2007 10:24 AM

Sorry the camera is all boxed up now and awaiting collection.

Dave Elston November 22nd, 2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Joy (Post 780095)
Sorry the camera is all boxed up now and awaiting collection.

No sweat, in any case it seems certain you have a faulty product deserving of replacement. I just hope you're not left 'waiting at the altar' too long.

(Just because it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all ...it doesn't make losing any easier!)

Paul Joy November 22nd, 2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Elston (Post 780102)
Just because it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all ...it doesn't make losing any easier!

:( I miss her already!

Dave Elston November 22nd, 2007 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Joy (Post 780106)
:( I miss her already!

Just keep telling yourself you've done it for the right reason.
OK, so you could have 'lived with it' but eventually, deep down, you know things would get ugly.
Sending her back home was the best thing for both of you, and still you had a passionate three day affair to remember her by. That's more than most of us!

Guys, Paul needs some group help at this difficult time!

Paul Joy November 22nd, 2007 11:00 AM

Lol, if Piotr's theory does turn out to be true then I'm sure we'll all be getting fixed cameras anyway. If anyone ends up with S/N 0400172 treat her with care, she's had a hard start in life :)

Piotr Wozniacki November 22nd, 2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Joy (Post 780120)
Lol, if Piotr's theory does turn out to be true then I'm sure we'll all be getting fixed cameras anyway. If anyone ends up with S/N 0400172 treat her with care, she's had a hard start in life :)

Thanks fro that info, Paul! Now we are in the same boat - waiting. Hard time, isn't it?

Paul Joy November 22nd, 2007 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 780126)
Hard time, isn't it?

Yup, left feeling empty...

Anyway, we're supposed to be professionals.... enough of this humor already!

Stelios Christofides November 22nd, 2007 01:01 PM

What is Vignette?

Stelios

P.S. Sorry found the answer in Wikipedia

"In photography and optics, vignetting is a reduction of an image's brightness or saturation at the periphery compared to the image center."

Bill Spence November 22nd, 2007 01:09 PM

OK, I have been following the posts on the EX1 for several months now and have had hi hopes for this camera, and still do. Some of the vignetting problems discussed were casting a little rain on my parade and so I took all of the footage I have downloaded from these sights onto a Vegas timeline and went through it frame by frame. Something is definitely there, but I am not convinced yet that it is vignetting from the lens. I say this because in the shots where I saw it, neither the focal length or the iris was being altered, only the angle of the camera. I saw it come and go during motion in the tennis shots that were discussed in this post earlier. And since it was not there all the time is why I am not convinced that it is vignetting. It almost looks as if the Sony matteboxe was casting a shadow on the corner from an overhead light and as the angle of the light changed, so did the "vignette". In outdoor shots during the rain where the light is difuse and even, there is not evidence of it at all. This is all just specualtion since I don't have a camera infront of me, but I am not convinced yet that it is a lense issue as much as a physical issue that with a little more testing can be narrowed down.

Wesley Alfvin November 22nd, 2007 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides (Post 780182)
What is Vignette?

Stelios

Stelios,

On at least 2 models of the EX1 (Paul's and an online reviewer's) a small shaded area is appearing mid-zoom in the upper left corner of the picture when the iris is fully open. Check out the first page of this forum to see an example.

Wesley

Craig Seeman November 22nd, 2007 01:33 PM

I reread this from Adam Wilt's look at a preproduction model.

"There is vignetting at wide apertures from 10mm onwards, but Sony tells me that it's due to a bug in this engineering sample's auto-focus system, so I'll refrain from further commentary until I have a production model to work with."

I wonder if anyone with camera can turn on/off auto focus and see if that has impact. It may be a few "bugged" models slipped through production. Some people raised suspicions about OIS but maybe it's the auto focus.

Phil Bloom November 22nd, 2007 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my hands on the EX1 finally today. Wow, it is lovely...the picture is astounding and that LCD screen?!? For 35mm adaptor work you won't really need an external monitor for focus with focus assist and expanded focus coupled with that resolution.

I tried to get the vignetting issues as described by Paul. I really struggled to find it. By pointing at a blank bright wall and zooming to around 10mm the worst I managed to get was this...you have to really look hard to see it. I see this as not a problem in the slightest.