Vignette problem - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 06:43 AM   #91
Regular Crew

[ If anyone ends up with S/N 0400172 treat her with care, she's had a hard start in life :)[/QUOTE]

It'll probably end up in Indonesia! At least I know which one to look for :)
Joe Yaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 03:43 PM   #92
Regular Crew

Display

Hello, when you yuse a 35mm adapter, is cheaper when you "take the distance of the object and set it on the focus ring".

Alessandro Zumstein
Alessandro Zumstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 03:55 PM   #93
Trustee

sorry . don't understand
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:04 PM   #94
Regular Crew

Observation on Vignette Problem

I took a clip (X02_0039_01.MP4 - indoor tennis) that was posted on this forum and played it in slow motion with the VLC player. There are a couple of places where you can clearly see the problem in the upper left corner. It shows up most prominently when the camera begins or ends a fairly rapid pan movement. It appears that the OIS is on, and is creating the vignette by trying to compensate beyond the capability of the lens. That's my best guess with the limited amount of video available.

If anyone has tested their EX1 and found no problem, it would be nice if they posted here so we can see the magnitude of the vignette problem.
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM   #95
Trustee

Possible, but can you provide the actual frame grabs. This type of info really doesn't mean much to anyone without supporting it.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:30 PM   #96
Regular Crew

May I please have the link to the tennis footage? Thanks.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:34 PM   #97
Trustee

It's gone...
His host shut him off.
http://www.bolanski.com/ex/home/ex1-test-shots-part-2/
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:41 PM   #98
Regular Crew

Thanks Steven. I hope someone has permission and puts up a mirror...
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:02 PM   #99
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
His host shut him off.
*sigh*

This is exactly the reason why I offered to host it for him here on DV Info Net in the first place.

It's really too bad for everyone that he wouldn't take me up on it.

*shrug*

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #100
Trustee

Thanks Chris,
I'm not sure why he was hesitant with your offer.

Since he lost his host, maybe he'll change his mind
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #101
Inner Circle

I have posted two grabs of the tennis clip a couple of posts before.

Speculating further on the OIS thing, I must admit when I first read it has just ON/OFF settings (rather than the Standard, Soft, Hard etc) I thought Sony was compromising on this for whatever reason - now we can guess the 77mm lens might be just too tight for 1/2" chips...

If this is true, I wonder what Sony is going to do about it. And how long we'll be waiting!

But nobody ever answered my question: does it also show without the lens hood attached? If it's the lens hood vignetting, setting up the new moulding for a bigger one could be the simplest solution! Much simpler than designing a whole new, 82mm lens...
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #102
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
now we can guess the 77mm lens might be just too tight for 1/2" chips...

If this is true, I wonder what Sony is going to do about it. And how long we'll be waiting!
If this turns out to be the case, it could mean a VERY long wait, right? Surely they won't just tell us to deal with it?

There was a lot of controversy over the 25p capability of the V1 in PAL countries at this time last year and we were told to more or less deal with it.

I hope Sony really, truly fixes this to the best outcome.
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #103
Trustee

There aren't enough users with cameras out there to test if there really is an actual problem.

Although I still don't have mine, I am hoping to have some free time on Monday to go to my dealer and really put their demo unit through a thorough test, including 35mm adaptor test.

Perhaps we could hear from all the EX1 owners out there if they have come across it or not...
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #104
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
But nobody ever answered my question: does it also show without the lens hood attached?
Hi Piotr, I tried removing the lens hood assembly / matte box and it makes no difference, it's not that.

I don't know enough about the way lenses function to fully understand what this problem involves, my guess is that it's more than just making the lens barrel wider though. I would have thought that lens element placement / shape will be the primary control over presenting a correct image to the sensor block, either that or the distance between the lens and the sensor block itself. I guess this could be solved by enlarging the visible area presented to the sensors with optic placement, I can't imagine Sony would go back to fujinon and ask for a bigger lens though.

Adam Wilt mentions in his review that he was told by Sony that the vignetting in the camera he tested was caused by the auto-focus system, as that's the only real comment we've heard about the problem that comes directly from Sony it's more likely that this is still the issue, and we still don't know if there really is an issue. It would be great to to hear from other owners, but we only know of four cameras delivered so far.

regards

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Joy; November 24th, 2007 at 04:32 AM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #105
Trustee

I have yet to see anything posted other than Paul's camera that actually "really" shows a vignetting problem. I've seen nothing convincing
from the tennis footage and the guy that owns the camera has never mentioned a problem.
Several days ago I asked him when he gets a chance to run the test.
He said he would when he finds the time.

My guess is there might be a mechanical adjustment that might be out of spec within Paul's camera.
I can't imagine Sony would of let a problem like this released. This is a defect, or a misadjustment.
IMO, this problem is not across all EX1 cameras.

Last edited by Steven Thomas; November 24th, 2007 at 11:14 AM.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds