Vignette problem - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #106
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Possible, but can you provide the actual frame grabs. This type of info really doesn't mean much to anyone without supporting it.
I tried to get screen grabs, but I can't go frame by frame in the VLC player. I couldn't get enough control to grab frames that would show the problem. I viewed the video in slow motion on a High Def LCD TV, and you can see the shadow creep in and out of the image as the camera accelerates and decelerates through a left to right pan. I'm hoping that someone will run some tests with their EX1 and post the tests here.
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #107
Inner Circle

If this is a genuine case of the image rectangle being bigger than the image circle from which it's cut, then when OIS is turned on and the camera is moving this will make the situation worse - a lot worse. Could be worth going down the timeline of a rapidly moving camera shot and seeing if the vignette worsens.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #108
Trustee

Well, rest assure I will test for this the first day I get it (end of next week).
I will also rapidly pan the cam while viewing a wall with no other stuctures using OIS on, and off. I'll try it at four different focal lengths, from wide to tele.

I'm still not seeing anything convincing in the tennis footage. Also, the few that do own the camera on this forum, other than paul, have not mentioned any issues.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #109
New Boot

grab

i see it on the tennis footages, upper left and right corner:

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...cty=US&lang=en
Laurent Delaroziere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #110
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Petersen View Post
I tried to get screen grabs, but I can't go frame by frame in the VLC player. I couldn't get enough control to grab frames that would show the problem. I viewed the video in slow motion on a High Def LCD TV, and you can see the shadow creep in and out of the image as the camera accelerates and decelerates through a left to right pan. I'm hoping that someone will run some tests with their EX1 and post the tests here.
I have checked the fastest, whip pans of the tennis footage, and indeed there is what can be considered similar to Paul's findings, in the upper left corner of the screen - see my post here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....6&postcount=51
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #111
Trustee

If anything, it does appear there is some vignetting in Laurent's example. Since the camera was not really moving during this shot, it would of been nice if he actually performed some simple tests for us.

I'm not sure why he would not. If I owned the camera, I'd surely want to know its limitations.

Well, we'll know soon for sure.
Old November 25th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #112
Trustee

Hmmmm.....
Maybe we have an issue with these cams that's more than just a couple.
I'm now concerned. Hopefully they can be fixed. I find it VERY hard to believe that a camera that cost almost $7,000.00 USD would have this issue. Heck, I've seen camcorders that cost $300 not have this issue.

Check it out..
http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthrea...t=11627&page=2
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #113
Trustee

It appears from one of the original frame grab posts from a pre-production models is showing some vignetting in the top left corner.... hmmmm.
http://www.dvinfo.net/media/xdcamex/...7;20720p25.tix
Old November 25th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #114
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks Chris,
I'm not sure why he was hesitant with your offer.

Since he lost his host, maybe he'll change his mind
Well thats not going to happen. I have my reasons for it.

And to all people mirroring my files, I wold appreciate if you ask me first but the answer will probably be, no please don't.

But to make you happier again I have put up some Vignette test shots. And I have new hosting, so get them while they last. This is supposed to be a free traffic host again but we will have to see about that since the demand for the other files was a bit crazy.

The old files may be online soon if I have time to do it. The Tennis footage will not be online again and there is a reason for it to.

ex.bolanski.com
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #115
Major Player

Andreas - I had a look at the 1080p-version and I cannot see any problems. If there are any they are definately acceptable to me! Do you know if this was the same camera that you used shooting the tennis footage? Someone reported a few frames with vignetting suggesting that it might be related to the OIS.

/ola
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #116
Inner Circle

Quote:
It appears from one of the original frame grab posts from a pre-production models is showing some vignetting in the top left corner.... hmmmm.
http://www.dvinfo.net/media/xdcamex/...g%20720p25.tix
Heck, looks like you are right! It shows exactly the same flaw!
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #117
Trustee

Yes, then again, it was the pre-production cam.
Looking at Andreas vignette test files posted today, I do not see any issues.
It would of also been nice if there tests files done the same way while the camera was panned (Aperture wide open, OIS on). Also, I'm not sure where the aperture was set during his tests.

Having said that, he owns the cameras and says he's not seeing an issue.
That's good enough for me. I will do some tests with my cam next week and post them here.
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #118
Major Player

(I posted this on the footage thread but thought it was more appropriate for this thread instead, so pardon the double posting)

About 4 to 5 seconds into Andreas' 1080p25 clip there is a very slight darkening in the upper left corner. Likewise in the 720 clip (which zooms out rather than in) there is the same slight darkening toward the wide side.

Both of these seem to happen at the same focal length on the lens. It seems to be a less severe version of what Paul Joy is describing, in that it does not happen at either zoom extreme, but at a point in the middle, close to the wide side.

This slight darkening, combined with OIS and different aperture or focus settings could be what's cousing the more extreme cases.

What's happening on Andreas' camera is perfectly acceptable to me, and I won't cancel my order over it. On a film camera this would be considered within spec (I've seen much worse than that make it to the big screen). But if it got much more extreme than that I would start to get concerned.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #119
Major Player

Are people seeing the vignette problem when using OIS while on a tripod?

With my Z1, I get much better footage when the OIS is turned off while on a tripod. In fact the manual states to turn of OIS while on a tripod.

Has anyone tried shooting without the OIS and seeing if the problem still exists?

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #120
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
Andreas - I had a look at the 1080p-version and I cannot see any problems. If there are any they are definately acceptable to me! Do you know if this was the same camera that you used shooting the tennis footage? Someone reported a few frames with vignetting suggesting that it might be related to the OIS.

/ola
I don't know what camera this was but I can check. When I look at it on a computer screen I don't see it but when I look at it via HD-SDI on our 24" Jvc monitor I think there might be something there.

It's really hard to tell but we are quite happy with the cameras and are going to use them in education so we don't see this as a problem for us.
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds