Vignette problem - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #451
Major Player

Correct Andrew.
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #452
Inner Circle

Just to update me guys, how far does this lens hold f/1.9 - or is it ramping gently as soon as you move away from full wide-angle?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #453
Major Player

Tom,

Holds F1.9 all the way to full telephoto.
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #454
Major Player

Check out this thread I started a while ago - I think that, despite screen indications to the contrary, the lens ramps at least to a T2.8, if not an actual f/2.8.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=109754

Last edited by Eric Pascarelli; January 18th, 2008 at 06:27 AM.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #455
Major Player

Any word on the situation in Australia?

I've been awaiting Danny's return call since late December and have heard nothing.

He assured me that he'd call when he knew.

Serena, Vaughan, have you heard anything?
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #456
Major Player

Nothing yet.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #457
Trustee

Sent two EX1s back to Sony in Sydney via our dealer on Thursday. Picked the two up from our dealer plus an extra new one yesterday. Checked the work one and it's still not perfect, the vignetting is visible when the camera is static. Didn't get to try the new one. Sony had unpacked this one, they'd packed it back upside down and forgot the extra card.
Just checked my own EX1. It's pretty much gone when the camera is static but now if the OIS kicks in I can get it in the top LH or RH side depending on which way the OIS is moving the image.

Tried to do some other quick and dirty tests, don't really have the space etc at home. Zoom tracking looks OK. Racking focus seems to cause the image to shift sideways. I think I should go over the camera using a big monitor with a centre crosshair, the square marker that the camera provides makes it a bit hit and miss.

I know I bought a $10K camera not a $40K prime but what's acceptable at this kind of price point?

Last edited by Bob Grant; January 19th, 2008 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #458
Major Player

Mine is fixed perfectly. I received a new one from Sony Japan, but it still had the problems top right and left, despite assurances that it was checked at the factory. Rather than try for another new camera, I sent it to Sony Australia in Sydney (who have the equipment to fix it) - and they returned it with the lens correctly aligned.

For those in Australia - I suggest the you contact Sony directly. Their tech support are aware of the problem, and have the equipment and expertise to fix it. I dealt with Anthony Kable (98870422) who was really excellent.
Old January 19th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #459
New Boot

Disappointing, at best

I got my EX1 back from Sony a few days ago and got to test it today. At first, I didn't know whether I was still seeing the problem, but having tried it against a more consistently lit background, it's very much improved. I have one corner that darkens ever so slightly (you have to really look for it) at full wide, but for the rest of the zoom travel from about 7MM up, and through the former 10MM-40MM problem range, things are good. Much better than before.

The test I did with the OIS, though, is a different story. It's pretty much useless, not that I would be inclined to use it anyway. Even after the software patch, when SteadyShot is on the corners and some of the sides will darken and smear if you move the camera around on a monotone surface.

One other note: if you have to send a camera back, keep ALL THE RUBBER covers! Sony didn't return my SDI port cover! *grrr*

Last edited by Bob Berg; January 20th, 2008 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Correction
Bob Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #460
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Berg View Post
Even after the software patch, when SteadyShot is on the corners and some of the sides will darken and smear if you move the camera around on a monotone surface.
Which software patch are you referring too?

regards

Paul
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #461
Inner Circle

Has anyone noticed how the ND filter mechanism may stay in an in-between position, or how it opens/closes? I wonder if the "optical path alignment" wasn't in fact ND filter mechanism adjustment... My lens never shows any trace of vignetting as described by early adopters, but here is what I spotted today:
Attached Thumbnails
Vignette problem-image56.jpg   Vignette problem-image57.jpg  

Old February 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #462
Major Player

OMG! It's the mother of all vignettes returned with a vengeance!!!! ;)
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #463
Major Player

Imagine if Vin Diesel was that big in frame.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #464
Trustee

Wow Piotr, you're "bad luck to a hunting dog!"

Does this happen everytime you use your ND filters?

I've never seen this...
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #465
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Has anyone noticed how the ND filter mechanism may stay in an in-between position, or how it opens/closes? I wonder if the "optical path alignment" wasn't in fact ND filter mechanism adjustment... My lens never shows any trace of vignetting as described by early adopters, but here is what I spotted today:
Ive seen this happen on my camera once, but you just flick the ND off/on and its gone. It stays in between the modes and i think that causes it as Piotr says. I sure was afraid that now its broken when it happened!
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds