Vignette problem - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 7th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #571
Major Player

I'm not sure I understand...

Do you mean you are not focused when you are set "near infinity" ?
Do you have the ND1 on your 2nd shoot ?

Please, give more detail so I can have a try tomorrow.
My feelings are (from last week-end shooting of Bird Of Prey) you can't rely on zoming in, focus, zoom out at your desired frame. Like if the focus ring was not linear accurate with the zoom.

The strange thing is you don't have a focus point anywhere on picture 1...
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #572
Regular Crew

Sebastien,
I´m perfectly focused when I zoom in and the focus is near "infinity". What I wanted to say is that I´m not fully at the infinity stop of the lens when the picture is sharp, but thats normal.
ND is ON at both pictures, the only difference on the second picture is that I turned the focus to the 0,8 meter stop, which can´t be correct...

If you want to check your camera:

ND On (you can use ND1 or ND2)
Aperture set to f1,9
zoom in and focus on something very far away
zoom out and check your picture - if its still sharp you are lucky!

If its out of focus - turn the focus to 0,8 meter and check if it is sharp now.

There is no excuse if the lens does not work correctly. The camera is unusable if this does not work as it should. Even the cheapest cameras work correctly. For me this is an absolutely basic function for any camera lens, how else could one get a perfect on spot focus, and the funny thing is that it works with the ND OFF so one should be able to rely on the zoom in/zoom out method.
My original camera was shipped from Sony support today and I should have it back by monday - hopefully its really fixed and does not have this problem as well. I could live with a slight vignette but not with the backfocus issue.
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #573
Trustee

Gerald, let us know how it works out.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #574
Major Player

From speaking with Sony and other vendors they are pretty much guaranteeing that the backfocus and vignetting issue is done with. Anyone who purchases an EX from here on out is 99% safe according to the feedback i'm getting.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #575
Regular Crew

my camera arrived at my dealer only 3 weeks ago...
does Sony officially recognize the backfocus problem?
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #576
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Loidl View Post
my camera arrived at my dealer only 3 weeks ago...
does Sony officially recognize the backfocus problem?
Good question. When I was asking them about the issues at hand I bundled the problems together so I would say "Vignetting and backfocus" instead of just focusing on 1. But from my understanding the backfocus issue is not really a big problem since you can adjust it yourself with the focus chart? I heard that it was happening because of camera movement during delivery. Correct me if I'm wrong. Plus the units being sold now are at serial number 6,000! I have not seen anyone here with a s/n over 2,000.
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #577
Regular Crew

good idea!
The first thing I did when my camera arrived, was to check for vignetting...
After all Iīve seen, I would not buy this camera again... I hope this attitude will change, should I ever get my hands on a perfect working EX1.
More on monday when mine is back from repair.
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #578
Major Player

Quote:
good idea!
The first thing I did when my camera arrived, was to check for vignetting...
After all Iīve seen, I would not buy this camera again... I hope this attitude will change, should I ever get my hands on a perfect working EX1.
More on monday when mine is back from repair.
I dont understand why they dont just replace yours and send you one from the new stock t hat is supposidly "perfect"
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #579
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph View Post
Good question. When I was asking them about the issues at hand I bundled the problems together so I would say "Vignetting and backfocus" instead of just focusing on 1. But from my understanding the backfocus issue is not really a big problem since you can adjust it yourself with the focus chart? I heard that it was happening because of camera movement during delivery. Correct me if I'm wrong. Plus the units being sold now are at serial number 6,000! I have not seen anyone here with a s/n over 2,000.
You can do a backfocus adjustment with the focus chart, but it does not change anything regarding the ND1&2 filters, its a different issue as the backfocus is spot on without the ND. So it is a huge problem ;-)
I did the backfocus adjustment procedure with ND on and ND off but it did not solve my problem. Mine had a serial number above 4,000.
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #580
Major Player

Quote:
You can do a backfocus adjustment with the focus chart, but it does not change anything regarding the ND1&2 filters, its a different issue as the backfocus is spot on without the ND. So it is a huge problem ;-)
I did the backfocus adjustment procedure with ND on and ND off but it did not solve my problem. Mine had a serial number above 4,000.
The serial number scheme is different here in North America I believe. So if you were to summarize the issue with the ND filter what would it be exaclty so I can call up Sony and see what they are doing about it.
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #581
Regular Crew

Quote:
I dont understand why they dont just replace yours and send you one from the new stock t hat is supposidly "perfect"
Thatīs what I will ask them on Monday if mine is not returned perfect! They were not very helpful on the phone so far and Sony support for Europe is located in France - about 1.400 km from me - so bringing it in and showing them the problem is not an option ;-)
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #582
Regular Crew

Quote:
The serial number scheme is different here in North America I believe. So if you were to summarize the issue with the ND filter what would it be exaclty so I can call up Sony and see what they are doing about it.
with ND on and aperture wide open, you canīt zoom in, focus to a far away spot, zoom out and get a clear picture (see my screenshots). Wide shots with ND on are only in focus if you turn the focus to 0,8 meters - so you have to shoot landscapes for example with focus set to 0.8 meters. Without ND it works perfectly as it should.
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #583
New Boot

I must have gotten lucky. I haven't experienced any of the problems that so many have had on this thread and my camera was bought in January. I do see a tiny vignette in some of my footage, but nothing that's noticeable and it seems to be only at certain zoom lengths. I've been trying to get my camera to show the problems I hear about on this forum, but beyond the small vignette in the upper left hand corner at some zoom lengths, it's fine.

Hopefully Sony will honor the warranties longer then 90 days, because cameras with focus and vignette problems are lemons.
Dustin Carpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #584
Major Player

Quote:
with ND on and aperture wide open, you canīt zoom in, focus to a far away spot, zoom out and get a clear picture (see my screenshots). Wide shots with ND on are only in focus if you turn the focus to 0,8 meters - so you have to shoot landscapes for example with focus set to 0.8 meters. Without ND it works perfectly as it should.

hmm I think I may have to address this issue. Is it just a few people who are having this problem or a good number?
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #585
Regular Crew

Quote:
hmm I think I may have to address this issue. Is it just a few people who are having this problem or a good number?
I know about 12 people who have posted this problem so far, and I guess there are many more who did not post about it or did not even notice.
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds