Vignette problem - Page 45 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 25th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #661
Regular Crew

I actually stopped just short of slicing the box and thought "Hey, I better check for vignetting before I do this". Did you already mail in the UPC? If so, I'd say call B&H and explain, then call Sony. I have to call them today and sort it out, but I'm sure Sony can send it back to them with a new UPC.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #662
Regular Crew

Well, now I don't need to be concerned about sending my first EX-1 (from which I had cut the serial number to obtain the "free" 8 Gb card) back to B&H (referred to two posts above, just prior to Sean's kind reply).

I received the replacement EX-1 from B&H today, put it through its paces, and it is also mush regarding backfocus, at Clear, ND-1, and ND-2. So the replacement, rather than the orignal is going back to B&H. The serial number of the latest was 104003. The software version on both the old and new was V1.03-0351.

Again, B&H certainly tops out on customer service! Since I have a shoot coming up in NYC in early May, I may try the FB adjustment and see if that does any good in each of the 3 ND settings, and if not, call Sony immediately for a software update and adequate repair. Thanks to you all for the tremendous and learned amount of information about this camera!
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #663
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas View Post
I also had this stuck iri twice. A stop/start of the camera did the trick.
But what is the point with the vignetting issue ? :)
You're right, it has nothing to do with vignetting... but backfocus issues are also non related to vignetting! I though that it was not the wrong place, since all three issues are related to the lens of the camera.

Maybe this thread should change his title from "Vignette problem" to "Lens problems".
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #664
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Urschel View Post
Well, now I don't need to be concerned about sending my first EX-1 (from which I had cut the serial number to obtain the "free" 8 Gb card) back to B&H (referred to two posts above, just prior to Sean's kind reply).

I received the replacement EX-1 from B&H today, put it through its paces, and it is also mush regarding backfocus, at Clear, ND-1, and ND-2. So the replacement, rather than the orignal is going back to B&H. The serial number of the latest was 104003. The software version on both the old and new was V1.03-0351.

Again, B&H certainly tops out on customer service! Since I have a shoot coming up in NYC in early May, I may try the FB adjustment and see if that does any good in each of the 3 ND settings, and if not, call Sony immediately for a software update and adequate repair. Thanks to you all for the tremendous and learned amount of information about this camera!
That's weird. My s/n is 4700 and I got the new FW number.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #665
Regular Crew

Well the sony tech says based on my pics he is not sure there is a problem with my ex1! Please take a look and see if I just need new glasses.

Here are the links to the tifs
http://www.shadysidepa.com/nd_off_wide.tif
http://www.shadysidepa.com/ND_1_on_wide.tif
http://www.shadysidepa.com/ND_2_wide.tif

He gave me an 800 number I called and they say I will have to pay shipping to send it in. Have they done the same for you?

Chuck
Chuck Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #666
Regular Crew

Chuck,
its pretty obvious that your camera has a problem. Thats the typical backfocus problem. No new glasses needed ;-)

regards,
Gerald
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #667
Major Player

Guys tell me, it's obviously soft - but where is it's focal point now, at min. dist. or nowhere? It looks like someone smeared a thin film of vasoline on the lens...
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #668
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Wall View Post
Well the sony tech says based on my pics he is not sure there is a problem with my ex1! Please take a look and see if I just need new glasses.

Here are the links to the tifs
http://www.shadysidepa.com/nd_off_wide.tif
http://www.shadysidepa.com/ND_1_on_wide.tif
http://www.shadysidepa.com/ND_2_wide.tif

He gave me an 800 number I called and they say I will have to pay shipping to send it in. Have they done the same for you?

Chuck
Back focus is out.
Do you have the latest firmware?
It's been shared to several that this firmware is needed to adjust the problem.
The image contrast is different, but it's still soft.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #669
Regular Crew

Just recieved a message from Sony tech reports that the latest firmware update does NOT solve any backfocus issues that he is aware of but that they will recalibrate the lens after performing the update..

"To my knowledge the firmware update doesn't address your issue per se
but it may still be a good course of action. After updating the firmware
they will also re-calibrate the lens. "

Guess it will be a crap shoot but something has to be done.

I will send it out and see how it comes back.

Chuck
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #670
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Loidl View Post
Chuck,
its pretty obvious that your camera has a problem. Thats the typical backfocus problem. No new glasses needed ;-)

regards,
Gerald
Not knowing Chuck's settings, it _could_ be that engaging ND filters and opening the iris accordingly, narrowed his DOF enough for the scene to stay out of it (with the focus plane being very close, or in infinity).
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #671
Regular Crew

Camera set up was as follows

iris wide open shutter used to stop down the light for non ND. Zoomed to center of tree trunk, focused and zoomed back wide with iris wide.

Then I switched in ND filters and changed shutter to a lower setting for
ND1 and then off for ND2.

Chuck
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #672
Inner Circle

Ach, OK - so you basically didn't open iris while engaging ND. My theory is not valid - back focus is bad.
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #673
Trustee

Chuck,
I have read several responses between this board and another mentioning that their back focus issue was fixed. So, if it's not the new firmware, it's something else.

According to Adam Wilt, the back focus adjustment in the service menu appears to only correct back focus at a given condition, ND OFF, ND1 ON, or ND2 ON. He mentioned it will only correct for one at a time.

Having said that, my camera does not have the BF issue regarding ND position. If it does, it's real small and not that noticeable.

Last edited by Steven Thomas; March 26th, 2008 at 12:13 PM.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #674
Regular Crew

Steven

I am wondering if only the cams that had the vignette issue also suffer from the backfocus problem. My cam was sent back in early Jan for that problem.

Chuck
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #675
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Having said that, my camera does not have the BF issue regarding ND position. If it does, it's real small and not that noticeable.
I just completed the back focus adjustment myself because I'm not able to have Sony do it until the 2nd week in April. Thank goodness I only live 15 min. away from our western Sony repair facility!

The back focus adjustment seems to have worked. I did it without any ND filters then did another test outside using ND1 and the image does appear to still be a little softer than with ND Clear, but even with the ND filter it now seems to be better than it was before the adjustment.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds