DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Vignette problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/108433-vignette-problem.html)

Paul Joy November 20th, 2007 04:44 PM

Vignette problem

4 Attachment(s)
I've noticed that my EX1 is suffering from a vignette problem whilst in the mid zoom ranges. Have a look at the top left corner in these screen shots, you can see it's fine at each end of the scale, but throughout the middle ranges it appears.

This is happening with the IRIS fully open and in low light if that makes any difference.

Can this be solved?

Evan Donn November 20th, 2007 04:52 PM

not encouraging - Adam Wilt mentioned this in his review of the pre-release model here:

http://www.uemedia.net/CPC/cinematog...le_16640.shtml

Quote:

There is vignetting at wide apertures from 10mm onwards, but Sony tells me that it's due to a bug in this engineering sample's auto-focus system, so I'll refrain from further commentary until I have a production model to work with.

Steven Thomas November 20th, 2007 04:54 PM

What the...
That's odd it's in one corner! Also in mid travel?
Wow, we need to tests these cam as soon as possible.
This should not be happening.
Why one corner?

I thought I read that in Wilt's article for the pre-ex1..... hmmmm.
Sony is going to have A LOT of upset buyers, or not buyers.

Craig Seeman November 20th, 2007 04:57 PM

Try shooting something with a solid color. It might make it more obvious.
Note, Adam's comments mention this specific it wide apertures at 10mm on so this seems like a different issue.

Paul Joy November 20th, 2007 04:57 PM

Yup, well they'll certainly be getting this one back :(

Steven Thomas November 20th, 2007 05:00 PM

It's as if something is hanging on the edge of the optical path.

Craig Seeman November 20th, 2007 05:02 PM

Are you using any kind of clear or UV filter on the front?

Maybe you can slow zoom through and see something that might indicate what/why this is happening.

Paul Joy November 20th, 2007 05:06 PM

In order to do a solid colour one I need more light and a larger area, I'll try it tomorrow against a wall.

No, there is not a filter attached.

Paul Joy November 20th, 2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 778892)
Note, Adam's comments mention this specific it wide apertures at 10mm on so this seems like a different issue.

he says "from 10mm onwards" That sounds the same to me as the aperture is fully open.

Steven Thomas November 20th, 2007 05:10 PM

Paul, I'm sorry to hear this. Looking at the stuff posted on the FTP site I do not see this issue.
I would contact my dealer as soon as possible and get the next one before they send it out to someone else. I know these cameras are going to be hard to get.
It sounds like Craig is right, this seems like a different issue from Wilt's pre-model.

Craig Seeman November 20th, 2007 05:11 PM

To me it also has a blue cast rather than a simple darkening in the corner. That's why I'm not sure if it's a vignette problem or something that's manifesting itself in such a fashion that it can be mistaken for a vignette problem.

Maybe try various aperture settings as well as macro function and see if it's a lens aberration of some sort.

Paul Joy November 20th, 2007 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 778915)
To me it also has a blue cast rather than a simple darkening in the corner

No, I think the blue is coming from my mac screensaver, it is a reflector after all :)

I've attached a small clip.

Steven Thomas November 20th, 2007 05:34 PM

So other than the "real" let down with your problem, how was the footage, short of the no light high gain?

Paul Joy November 20th, 2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 778939)
So other than the "real" let down with your problem, how was the footage, short of the no light high gain?

I haven't really spent long enough with the camera to say, my initial tests were just sitting with the camera experimenting with the camera a 12db gain (it's default high setting) and they looked much brighter than the actual room did, but obviously looked grainy too. It's definitely a lot more sensitive than my A1. I'd to try and get some nice shots but I think it's going to have to go back to the supplier, I'm certainly not waiting for Sony to fix it when it's been like this from delivery.

Craig Seeman November 20th, 2007 05:42 PM

I see it starts at about frame 55 or at least that's when I see it encroach. It still doesn't look like a "typical" vignette issue to me since it doesn't seem to happen at other corners.

Do try it against an evenly lit surface when you get the chance.

It's really predominate in the upper left. I don't really notice it at the other corners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Joy (Post 778932)
No, I think the blue is coming from my mac screensaver, it is a reflector after all :)

I've attached a small clip.