Timecode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 03:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Timecode

I'm hoping that 1) my EX1 arrives soon, and 2) that a friends 2 EX1's arrive as well, because we have two, 3 camera shoots to do middle of November, and I'd just love to give these cameras a real test!

Now, I've read the manual but can't find any reference to jamming timecodes for multi camera shoots. I read somewhere a few months ago that if you connect the firewire cable momentarily between cameras, the code will be linked, but there's nothing in the book of words about this.

I see that if you transfer HDV from an external source to the EX1 SxS card, the timecode is copied correctly.

I wonder if anyone is lucky enough to have 2 EX1's, and if so could they test this out?

Thanks

Paul

Last edited by Paul Newman; November 23rd, 2007 at 03:35 AM. Reason: adding thanks
Paul Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Major Player

This article, which transcribes a conversation with a very knowledgeable Sony rep, says that there is no way to jam sync the cameras:

http://ieba.wordpress.com/2007/11/21...wers-revealed/

Of course I'd like to investigate further. Seems like silly omission to me.

There was talk on another thread of setting time-of-day on both cameras identically by placing them side by side and using one remote to control both. Don't know if this is possible either because I'm not sure if the remote can be used to navigate the menus.

Anyone?
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 09:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Oh boy, this does appear to be a horrible ommission, as with the Z1 previously, the only way to get close was do a manual timecode entry on all cameras at the same time, you know 5,4,3,2,1, GO! This produces code within a few frames, and stays pretty good all day with the Z1 - what a shame Sony haven't implemented firewire timecode jamsync for the mostly pro featured EX1 - maybe their idea is to persuade you to use 330's or 350's for multi camera shoot situations and the EX1 for handheld "second camera" work.

Paul
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:00 AM   #4
New Boot

Maybe this isn't a great way of doing things... but It's worked for me. I shoot a lot of multicam events and edit in final cut pro. To sync cameras I simply find a spot in the audio tracks that lines up. Usually if someone is speaking I find a word that starts with a hard consonant like "d", or find a specific drum beat in music and set the frame where the identifying sound is to be the in point and then create a multiclip file synced at the in point. This has worked without fail almost every time. There was one time when the tape dropped out for a sec and the sync was off, but I just found the spot quickly and re-aligned it.

Obviously timecode is the best way to align tracks, but there are others if necessary.

Oh, and one last good way is to use one of the camera's ir remotes to start both cameras simultaneously. That at least gets you close with timecode.

Wesley
Wesley Alfvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Why not try the "free run timecode" for two or more EX1s with the remote control of one of them? I think this trick would do it.
Pavlos Symeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:28 AM   #6
Major Player

If you set the Z1 in free run timecode you can use the TC reset button on the remote to zero out the cameras timecode and all cameras will be in exact sync. You then will be able to start and stop individual cameras at will and never lose sync.

Don't know about the EX1 remote?
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Looks like the EX1 remote is the same one they include with the PDW-F350 camera and it does not have a TC reset button.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:47 AM   #8
Telecam Films

How about using a good all slate with a clapper?

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Regular Crew

From what I can see in the EX1 user manual pdf, through the remote commander one can control all the menus of the camera hence the free run timecode resetting. Button number 9 is called the "Push/Set button (four-way arrow key). It functions the same as the Sel/Set button joystick on the commander right behind the stereo mic on the top handle of the camera.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Is it possible from the people who have received the camera to try to reset the "free run timecode" from the remote commander to find out if that's possible?
Maybe Per-Axel can sync both of his cameras timecodes using the "free run timecode" trick. That would be great since it's going to make this camera usable on a two camera setup.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:15 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post

Thierry.
That solves the issue as well. We used this method with 3 PD-150's and it works well. You just need to reslate the cameras every time they stop.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM   #12
Regular Crew

With the timecode free run you sync them once and you are done.
I almost sure it should work.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:46 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
Another method which can work well is the flash of a still camera - that can sometimes be seen by all the cameras easier than a slate.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:53 AM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Another method which can work well is the flash of a still camera - that can sometimes be seen by all the cameras easier than a slate.
David, you just beat me to it. I was going to post the very same tip. It works well.
Gwynne Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I just tried two EX1 in Free Run and did a reset on both cameras using one remote.
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds