EX and HD Networks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 26th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX and HD Networks

I know it's very early on, but is there any talk as to whether the EX will be accepted by the HD networks for 100% content for shows?

Forrest
Forrest Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Trustee

XDCAM HD has been approved by Discovery HD as a full 100 per cent acquisition format (in 35Mbps high-quality mode).
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Steve. I'm aware of that...I'm just curious if they might shun the EX because if its fixed lens and such.
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Trustee

That's a good question, but based on a lot of XDCAM users are also considering this cam as a "B" cam, this will help.
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It'll be interesting to see how things play out. I currently shoot and edit for a SD show that we're considering taking to HD in the future, but since it would likely run on a second tier HD network the budget would be constrained. Therefore the camera purchases would need to be carefully thought through.
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
XDCAM HD has been approved by Discovery HD as a full 100 per cent acquisition format (in 35Mbps high-quality mode).
True, but it does have more to do with the actual camera than just the recording format. DVCPro HD is approved for program acquisition at Discovery HD, but the HVX 200 is on a short chain for limited use just like a Z1. The last I knew the 500 wasn't approved for full acquisition either, someone please correct me if I am wrong as the last list I looked at did not include it.

Its a wait and see I don't expect we are going to get an answer before sometime later next year.

K
Kyle Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #7
Trustee

Yes, that is why I mentioned XDCAM users may be picking up the EX1 as a "B" cam. This "may" help "open the door" for the EX1.
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

They either will or they won't. I think the biggest issue is not going to be the camera but how they feel about the lens. I don't think there is going to be a problem with the sensors, format, or recording of the images. How much Discovery HD allows the EX to be used is probably going to be dependent on how they feel about the lens. If your read their notes they are pretty picky about the glass used on the cameras.

Its use as a "B" camera is not going to have any effect on whether it is approved for full use. Lots of people use the 200 as a b roll for the varicam but that never helped the 200 get approval for full use.

K
Kyle Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Kyle, I think you're right. Discovery HD is strict on the glass that they'll approve. Only time will tell, I guess.
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #10
Trustee

I can't disagree with that, although fortunately we're hearing the glass is really good on this cam.
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Let's just hope it passes and opens up the door for good content to be created by people that can't afford to shoot with HDcam or Varicam.
Forrest Burger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds