Fewer recording on options in Pal mode than NTSC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Trustee

Fewer recording on options in Pal mode than NTSC

Please excuse the terrible English above. I tried to correct it but I can't!

There are fewer settings when in Pal mode. For example in NTSC mode I can record in 1080p 30 in non HQ mode as well as HQ mode, but in Pal I can only record 1080p 25 in HQ mode.

Any ideas why?

Also when people shoot in progressive and click on expanded focus does the display break up before showing the zoomed in version? In interlace it doesn't do it, just progressive.

I am still getting to grips with all the options, but so far it is quite wonderful.

One last thing, with the battery charger, my charging progress leds don't work. Am assuming they should and it is faulty!
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Phil, not having the camera yet and basing only on the manual, I've been wondering why no 25PsF or 30PsF mode in SP (HDV), while the 24PsF with pull down is there!

Now you're getting me interested again: if the 30 PsF mode is present in SP, so must be the 25PsF! They're both in HDV specs (just like with the V1).

How do you set the SP mode to 30p? Didn't see it in the manual...
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #3
Major Player

PAL or NTSC in HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
There are fewer settings when in Pal mode. For example in NTSC mode...
Smart mode on ^^
Phil, just for the record:
There is no such thing like PAL mode or like NTSC mode in HD.
Smart mode off ^^
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kraft View Post
Smart mode on ^^
Phil, just for the record:
There is no such thing like PAL mode or like NTSC mode in HD.
Smart mode off ^^
The mode you're using is not smart enough; the NTSC and PAL framerates differ in HD just like they do in SD (resolutions are the same, though).
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Trustee

Exactly. I call it Pal and NTSC because when you buy a camera like an HVX which is Pal it only records in 50i or 25p. The NTSC version 60i, 30p or 24p.

It's the easiest way to label it rather than 50i/25p or 60i/30p/24p. Also in the EX1 menus they are actually labelled as PAL and NTSC!!! So I was actually correct, for once!

I don't have a smart mode, if I had I would have just read the manual but as I am a bloke, I don't need manauls! If I had read it I would have found a simple answer to my dumb question.

It's 24p that only records in SP mode. There is no 24p HQ mode at all. Of course the "PAL" settings.

By the way Piotr, how are you getting on with your dealer (who isn't a sponsor!)? There is one rather "puzzling" retailer in the UK that lists the EX1 as in stock on their website, they are usually pretty accurate. I just find it quite surprising as they seem to be in such short supply. Then again they do seem to be one of the first retailers to get them in as they supplied Paul Joy. Curious...

I am interested to see if anyone has got one from videogear.co.uk (the dvi sponsor) as their prices are the lowest I have seen, despite not being an official Sony dealer I was wondering if anyone has ordered/ got one from them?
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Phil, I'm interested in the breaking up you mention when going to expanded view. I mentioned in one of my first posts after getting the camera that the LCD would fill with flickering green bars for a moment before the mode changes, is this what you are seeing?

I also saw this effect when changing shooting modes or flicking the camera between camera and media mode.

Paul.
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

refering to the manual the cam should be switchable between NTSC area and PAL area. the modes:

- NTSC Area:
HQ 1080i 59,94
SP 1080i 59,94
HQ 1080p 29,97
HQ 1080p 23,98
SP 1080p 23,98
HQ 720p 60 fps
HQ 720p 30 fps
HQ 720p 24 fps

- PAL Area:
HQ 1080i 50
SP 1080i 50
HQ 1080p 25
HQ 720p 50 fps
HQ 720p 25 fps

How long does it take to change the mode on the Camera ?
Directly or restart like on the Z1 ?

I wonder there ist no straight 30p and 24p mode for 1080p.
1080 is 23,98fps, 720 is 30 fps .. I hope this makes no problems later in editing a mix of 1080 & 720 ..

And strange - why I do have to switch a mode on a digital storage based system ? This makes no sense - why canīt I simply select the mode I want from a single menue ?
Carlos Moreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Phil, I'm interested in the breaking up you mention when going to expanded view. I mentioned in one of my first posts after getting the camera that the LCD would fill with flickering green bars for a moment before the mode changes, is this what you are seeing?

I also saw this effect when changing shooting modes or flicking the camera between camera and media mode.

Paul.
That is what I get, but only in progressive mode. I wonder why?
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Moreira View Post
refering to the manual the cam should be switchable between NTSC area and PAL area. the modes:

- NTSC Area:
HQ 1080i 59,94
SP 1080i 59,94
HQ 1080p 29,97
HQ 1080p 23,98
SP 1080p 23,98
HQ 720p 60 fps
HQ 720p 30 fps
HQ 720p 24 fps

- PAL Area:
HQ 1080i 50
SP 1080i 50
HQ 1080p 25
HQ 720p 50 fps
HQ 720p 25 fps

How long does it take to change the mode on the Camera ?
Directly or restart like on the Z1 ?

I wonder there ist no straight 30p and 24p mode for 1080p.
1080 is 23,98fps, 720 is 30 fps .. I hope this makes no problems later in editing a mix of 1080 & 720 ..

And strange - why I do have to switch a mode on a digital storage based system ? This makes no sense - why canīt I simply select the mode I want from a single menue ?
It changes very fast and there is no restarting. There is a straight 30p mode in 1080p, it's 29.97, which often just gets rounded up to 30.

what do you mean about "switch a mode"?
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Exactly. I call it Pal and NTSC because when you buy a camera like an HVX which is Pal it only records in 50i or 25p. The NTSC version 60i, 30p or 24p.

It's the easiest way to label it rather than 50i/25p or 60i/30p/24p. Also in the EX1 menus they are actually labelled as PAL and NTSC!!! So I was actually correct, for once!
Phil, did not want to be offensive in any way, sorry. I know, it's a tricky situation and I do fully understand why you label it like you do.
To that respect I wish PAL and NTSC definitions were amended with HD resolutions.
IMHO that would make discussions much clearer and easier.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
It's 24p that only records in SP mode. There is no 24p HQ mode at all. Of course the "PAL" settings.
Hi Phil,

By this comment do you mean that the 24p mode isn't in the PAL mode?

I assume though that 1080p24 HQ is available in the NTSC mode, right?? Not just SP?
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
To that respect I wish PAL and NTSC definitions were amended with HD resolutions.
I've heard the distinctions referred to as "50Hz area" and 60Hz area" which seem far more accurate in the world of HD. Strict definitions of PAL and NTSC only refer to analogue signals anyway, and "PAL" doesn't necessarily mean 50Hz. (As South Americans must be only too well aware!)
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
Hi Phil,

By this comment do you mean that the 24p mode isn't in the PAL mode?

I assume though that 1080p24 HQ is available in the NTSC mode, right?? Not just SP?
No, 24p is in the "NTSC area" only
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Phil, did not want to be offensive in any way, sorry. I know, it's a tricky situation and I do fully understand why you label it like you do.
on the z1 it is labelled as 50/60 but the EX1 calls it pal area and ntsc area
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
I've heard the distinctions referred to as "50Hz area" and 60Hz area" which seem far more accurate in the world of HD. Strict definitions of PAL and NTSC only refer to analogue signals anyway, and "PAL" doesn't necessarily mean 50Hz. (As South Americans must be only too well aware!)
David, that is why in HD the correct denominations are 1080i50 and 1080p25 as well as 1080i60 and 1080p30 to name but a few of the incarnations. Pal however is no longer analogue signals any more. These are getting replaced by digital ones un a format called DBV in various forms (look here: www.dbv.org).
Did not know about a 60Hz Pal area, though. Thanks for that info.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds