XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 14th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #136
Major Player

Phil: In a couple of shots, there is a very attractive circular darkening around the outside edge of the image...I'm thinking of the low-angle pan across the silver plants in particular.

Was this the dreaded vignetting, or a deliberate postproduction effect? I noticed it on several other images, almost like a circular grad filter.

Do you ever get releases from any of the folks who appear, or do these private films never get released?

Lovely choices of music on all your work!
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #137
Major Player

Phillip

Really great of you to take the time to post your findings and the shorts. I thank you for the invaluable insights. Had a couple of questions: in the Picadilly clip, in the portraits, the eyes are sharp but the rest of the face soft. What's going on there? Also was wondering if you've gotten the EX 1 to work with your Brevis yet?

thanks again, hope to see more-
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #138
Trustee

Bill: The vignette is done is post. I don't get releases as these are not for broadcast.

Mark: It's swing/ tilt effect on the faces. It was actually done in post as I waiting for my actual swing tilt lens, which has now arrived so I can do it for real.
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #139
Regular Crew

Phil that video was nothing short of amazing.....Thank you for posting it!!!!!!!!!!!
Tunde Anjorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #140
Regular Crew

Another great one in every regard. I've been told mine will be here next week, hopefully EARLY next week.

Obviously your busy Phil but when ya have a mo would be ever grateful if you could get to my email. Thanks! =)

- Ray
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #141
Trustee

sorry Raymond. Completely forgot to reply. Normally I reply straight away. Think I was shooting when it came through.

Tell me what you want to know and I will do my best in giving advice!
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #142
Trustee

better version in 720p now linked on the blog. Less compression
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #143
Major Player

Phil- have you decided upon a format with the EX that you find gives you the "BEST" settings, such as shooting in 720 or 1080 or 25fps vers 60P that you can share.
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #144
Trustee

Phil,

Love your videos on your blog. I am beginning to really warm up to the EX-1. However, one doubt still exists and that is how the HQ mode 35mbs VR will hold up with extreme motion. Can you post any fast moving water scenes (rivers, fountains, ocean, birds in flight). Your efforts are much appreciated.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #145
Trustee

there is some fast moving stuff in my short film using the ex1 clean. You can see it here http://aerialsfilm.com/bloom/protestantsnewgrade720.mp4

it's only rivers and stuff. I really have had no problems with the codec. Also check out this: http://www.philipbloom.co.uk/Philip_..._Shorts.html#0

It's a short of a sunset in Cornwall. It is a shame you can't see a 1080p version of this. It's quite stunning. The most beautiful thing i have shot. It was shot on the big XDCAM HD F350 but it's the same codec, albeit CCD but slightly lower resolution. The MP4 compression does it no favours and it is slightly blocky. I must get a 720p done for you to see. The XDCAM code is so impressive. I shot all my HD stuff with it now, with HDV as B camera. I don't miss DVCPro hd. I don't miss the huge file sizes, i don't miss the tiny P2 card capacity and I don't miss the softer lower quality images.

edit: I will be posting a 720p version of Sunset so can see how the XDCAM codec deals with fast moving stuff. It will be up with the half hour.
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #146
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cahill View Post
Phil- have you decided upon a format with the EX that you find gives you the "BEST" settings, such as shooting in 720 or 1080 or 25fps vers 60P that you can share.
Always 1080p. Compared to that the 720 pales. I always shoot 25fps as its the only option in 1080p and I hate interlace. It looks cheap!
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #147
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Always 1080p. Compared to that the 720 pales. I always shoot 25fps as its the only option in 1080p and I hate interlace. It looks cheap!
I agree with you 1080/25p sounds like the best option for us, PAL users. But... the BD specs don't support 25p! What is your idea of the best delivery method? Thanscoding in post to the closest thing - 1080/24p - doesn't make much sense with the EX1, as it can shoot this format in the first place!
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #148
Trustee

Hi Piotr

My main aim is for UK broadcast and that is 25p. Blu ray delivery is not at the top of my list, especially since I still can't burn actually projects for use in domestic players with my mac pro yet.
Old December 15th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #149
Trustee

check out http://aerialsfilm.com/bloom/sunset1080.divx in about half an hour it should be uploaded. shot on the f350 but it shows how well the codec can handle fast moving water.

thanks to maxim again for hosting. i owe you a beer!
Old December 15th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #150
New Boot

Phil,
kew whole.mp4 excellent film....REALLY.
Soundtrack.Who is the author?

Last edited by Grigory Volovich; December 15th, 2007 at 02:51 PM.
Grigory Volovich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds