XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:26 PM   #571
Major Player

what are you guys like 7? Is this a school yard? All I did was disagree with Phils justification on the price and everyone is so quick to defend and throw me in the corner.

Grow up guys, please. Where are those guys who were also complaining about the price of the ultimate?? They seem to be hiding under a rock. God forbid somebody break someones heart around here.

Your defensive comments are really unnecessary really. Deliberate, don't argue.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:32 PM   #572
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph View Post
Phil, In all fairness, it's easy to say that when you are able to get it for dirt cheap if not free from them.

If Letus gave me sick discounts and freebies, I would defend them to the death.
Dennis, these statements are not a disagreement on price, but an accusation that Phil skews his reviews in return for free or discounted products. And you have absolutely no information on which to base your claims. That's what bothered him. Read your own words!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:46 PM   #573
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Dennis, these statements are not a disagreement on price, but an accusation that Phil skews his reviews in return for free or discounted products. And you have absolutely no information on which to base your claims. That's what bothered him. Read your own words!
Vito,

Why don't you call sony or letus and ask them to send you a prototype model 6 months before it comes out. When you do that, then we will talk about whose accusing who of what.

i'm pretty much done with this conversation.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:48 PM   #574
Trustee

Quote:
Sounds good to me...
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:30 AM   #575
Major Player

Keep in mind ...

Quote:
Phil,

In all fairness, it's easy to say that when you are able to get it for dirt cheap if not free from them.

If Letus gave me sick discounts and freebies, I would defend them to the death. Let's face it, 35mm adapters are really made for the low budget indie film makers. If you have the means and the money, you won't be buying a 35mm adapter. You will use a film camera or a Red. It's that simple. btw I don't agree with ps technik and movietube prices so don't think I'm just bashing letus.

I'm just tring to figure out how you can go from $1,500 to 5k and think you are going to market to the big wigs.

It's like what hyundai is trying to do with their gensis that is over 50k marketed to the upper class which will NEVER do well. Who would pay 50k for a Hyandai when they can get a bmw, audi, lexus...etc?

Just my 3 cents
I think you need to back off on this kind of thinking Dennis! If Phil can get a good deal he'll take it but I don't think he's simply going to back a product because he'll get something! The guys got integrity!
ps ~ zzzzzzzzz
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:51 AM   #576
Major Player

And whatever, Phil does have free products... He is giving it away in a movie contest - see his blog.
but that's not the point. I think the case is closed :)
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:04 AM   #577
Inner Circle

Guys, let's get real. Even if Phil is getting some discounts (which I believe him he is not), he deserves them perfectly. Pointing it out to him is simply bad manners.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:45 AM   #578
Trustee

Quote:
Vito,

Why don't you call sony or letus and ask them to send you a prototype model 6 months before it comes out. When you do that, then we will talk about whose accusing who of what.

Really not cool with that statement Dennis. If you are done with this conversation do not start it in the first place.

I have helped you out over numerous emails throughout the past year. If you now honestly don't think my advice or opinion is valid as it is skewed by the showering of freebies that clog up my house then don't bother asking for my opinion or advice, because THAT is what you implied.

It wasn't a disagreement on my saying why the price makes sense, this is what you said "If Letus gave me sick discounts and freebies, I would defend them to the death." Now call me stupid if you want but that is not a disagreement on pricing, it is a bordering on slanderous statement without foundation or justification. Simple as that.

It is also very personal and against forum rules. Want to have a debate like this? Then have it in private with me, call me up. Am always happy to talk to people.

Last edited by Phil Bloom; July 3rd, 2008 at 05:20 AM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:09 AM   #579
Tourist

Hi Phil,

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your knowledge with us, it has been indespensible for a begginer like me. Love your work, website and posts. You have saved me from wasting my money thats for sure, and I have bought the right gear instead of finding out the hard way. Thanks alot. Once I get my kit together (its slowly getting there) I will be entering your competition. Cheers.

Dennis you should apologise mate, I think your post made Phil seem unappreciated.
Steven Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:42 AM   #580
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
Hi Phil,

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your knowledge with us, it has been indespensible for a begginer like me. Love your work, website and posts. You have saved me from wasting my money thats for sure, and I have bought the right gear instead of finding out the hard way. Thanks alot. Once I get my kit together (its slowly getting there) I will be entering your competition. Cheers.

Dennis you should apologise mate, I think your post made Phil seem unappreciated.
to be honest more disappointed in Dennis. We have had numerous emails back and forth about stuff. Didn't expect him to say such a dumb thing!

Anyway we need to move on from this.

Got some new bought gear to share. The new shoulder mount. ironically a more expensive knock off of the "el cheapo" support, is superb. Will post details and photos soon.

Got the bebo coco adaptor which gives me three power outputs. Two hirose and one dtap . perfect for a top light or even powering the new ultimate. It's a bit ugly and fiddly though and only takes the big batteries
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:55 AM   #581
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Got some new bought gear to share. The new shoulder mount. ironically a more expensive knock off of the "el cheapo" support, is superb. Will post details and photos soon.

Got the bebo coco adaptor which gives me three power outputs. Two hirose and one dtap . perfect for a top light or even powering the new ultimate. It's a bit ugly and fiddly though and only takes the big batteries
Philip, please share some insights on that shoulder mount, indeed.

As to the Coco-ex: I too am using one, but only with the PAG M 20 W light with soft-start feature. Be careful - too much power can not only shut down your battery (can be revived on the charger), but the drainage will shorten its life considerably!

Bebob has recognized this and are now recommending less than 10W total output power (apart from the camera, of course). This is why I'm planning to use mine with the nanoflash mainly (20W is too much for this battery, and anything less than that is no good, anyway).
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:02 AM   #582
Trustee

best to use led lights as they draw less power...damn was planning to power my laptop, tv, mini fridge, 2 x 2kw hmi off the bebob. I guess that is too much. Maybe skip the fridge
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:31 AM   #583
Major Player

can it power a built in coffee machine. that is what I was really hoping for in the EX-3, but alas, I have had to rig one myself.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:46 AM   #584
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
can it power a built in coffee machine. that is what I was really hoping for in the EX-3, but alas, I have had to rig one myself.
yes it can, but it wont froth the milk
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM   #585
Major Player

no need. i have my own special ways to froth my milk.

Yo Bloom,
I never heard back from you if you wanted a free beer/martini while I am in London next Monday.

BE
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds