XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 43 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 5th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #631
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
Oh I like the music.. very moody. I have no hope of winning, my style is more 80s action movie than anything else.. but I might put something together.
John Woo style slow motion action set to music?

Put a beat to the music! Do anything as long as you use the music somehow!!

How about a hit man listening to it on ipod as he takes out his prey. Think laterally.
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #632
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Yeah, absolutely NO complaints about the piece itself. I only wish I could do it justice!
Of course you can. It is so malleable as a piece you could do wonders with it if you put your mind to it (and of course camera!)
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #633
Major Player

I will have something to show more than likely, never been afraid to try. I shot this with a 230 dollar youtube camera in about 30 minutes.. I am just now upgrading to pro equipment. But as you can see using odd music doesn't bother me in the slightest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yZOLaU-otM

Nothing technical about it, just fun.. Me building my bike.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #634
Trustee

two prizes!

$500 letus direct voucher and Magic Bullet Looks from Red giant software!!!
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #635
Major Player

Winner takes all? Or gets first choice? Or which is the first prize?

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #636
Major Player

Ha, I got an idea. but let me ask you this. Can we add a music sting? So if the moment needs a bit more tension, add a few notes from another piece over the top of the provided music?
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #637
Trustee

as long as the music features somewhere that is what matters. do as you want!
Old October 7th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #638
Major Player

Hi Phil

Just looking at your film confession and here are some of my comments I would have posted on the site but for some reason wasn't able to

Slow start needs some cutting here? That built to become totally absorbing. The end was good but would have been helped by a little more aggression.

Location was great Camerawork and sound all great Music pushed it along nicely. It needs something more at the end to show the Priests religion turning on him. Perhaps his cross falling or david gives him a verse from the scripture? Just something to show the Priests punishment and torment.
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #639
Trustee

That is sixth month old rough cut. Just seen finished edit "the echo". Hope to put it up soonish
Old October 8th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #640
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark David Williams View Post
Hi Phil

Just looking at your film confession and here are some of my comments I would have posted on the site but for some reason wasn't able to

Slow start needs some cutting here? That built to become totally absorbing. The end was good but would have been helped by a little more aggression.

Location was great Camerawork and sound all great Music pushed it along nicely. It needs something more at the end to show the Priests religion turning on him. Perhaps his cross falling or david gives him a verse from the scripture? Just something to show the Priests punishment and torment.
final edit is now up: Philip Bloom Blog Archive “The Echo” Short Film

am very pleased with the job Joe Shaw has done with it
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #641
Major Player

Hi Phil

I had a look at your new version of course this time around I know what happens..

This is very professional looking which wouldn't be out of place on channel four as a short story etc. So its positioned at the highest level and all in all deservedly so.

However some things that I feel would have improved this and this is only my opinion and the direction I would have gone in.

This whole piece felt like a stage play and could easily be one. Where David walks to to the bench and sits is wrong (Very stagy) And if he's walking away what changed his mind?

The close ups of the station deteriorating were a distraction and unnecesary and need cutting out.

The Priest was well suited to his role but David was played as a weak character to emphasis his victim status..

In my opinion it needed to be played with more aggression as not only was he a victim but now a predator who has in his twisted mind come up with a punishment for the Priest who actually may grow to like and accept what David is doing. This is twisted and therefore the character needs to be too. This is reinforced even more at the end the Priest didn't run after him or beg him therefore we didnt see a man truly agonising and desperate. I felt Davids clothes made him appear to soppy unless he had a shotgun or serious weapon underneath in which case it would be a different story and not as good.

The soundtrack was drab in parts the squall of seagulls I felt was unnecesary and held back from the serious drama unfolding.

Some of the camera work Sorry to say this but wasnt positioned correctly for the actors although it was right for the background???? I have to wonder why were'nt the actors re-positioned to get better framing? If it was to include the station sign and you wanted that badly enough perhaps a dummy could have been made up?

I didn't like some of the wide shots that distanced us from the characters so why did we need to be disconnected from them? Why the need for isolation? If it was to add to the atmosphere of being alone I think that was already well established at the beginning?

I still think it was to slow in its opening and I realize that by keeping the pace slow when we realize what is going on its a good hit the only problem is many would have switched off by then. The answer is I think would be to make David more interesting with his acting clothes and look. Perhaps signs of his rebelling and outrage in the world like tatoos an earing even if he looks like he has changed perhaps scars or hair dyed just something that emphasises his turmoil. Even if its none of those things just some weakness in his character then like a phobia or twitch?

The other problem is the ending. I don't think it clearly establishes the punishment as enough to really shake the Priests world and because it doesnt then the end twist is diluted. I guess the premise is here we have an abuser who believes he is doing nothing seriously bad and the thought of someone else doing the same is abhorrent to him so much so that this is enough to be a punishment for him. Really if this is the case it needs to played out with some serious acting from David to make it believable.

In conclusion it really does work and I can easily see this on TV but I think it could have been much more.
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #642
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark David Williams View Post
Hi Phil

I had a look at your new version of course this time around I know what happens..

This is very professional looking which wouldn't be out of place on channel four as a short story etc. So its positioned at the highest level and all in all deservedly so.

However some things that I feel would have improved this and this is only my opinion and the direction I would have gone in.
Mark, I think Phil was only director of photography on that short so you might want to take it up with the director rather than shoot the messenger.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #643
Major Player

I'm trying to give an honest review from my point of view and I would hope thats what people would do for me.. My review was intended to be constructive and helpful.
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #644
Major Player

So, is the deadline November 15th or 25th?

Philip Bloom Blog says November 25th
Bloom's Forum :: View topic - 2nd competition finally says November 15th

Hopefully my Ultimate will be back from repairs next week.
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #645
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huenergardt View Post
So, is the deadline November 15th or 25th?

Philip Bloom Blog says November 25th
Bloom's Forum :: View topic - 2nd competition finally says November 15th

Hopefully my Ultimate will be back from repairs next week.
James, Im curious to know, what needed repairing on the Ultimate?
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds