XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 44 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 10th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #646
Major Player

I've got my film entered into Phils competition here!

Philip Bloom's Film Competition 2 on Vimeo

Yeah :)
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #647
Major Player

did you change the rules? There seems to be a lot of videos entered that don't have the music at all.. Maybe they are just using your group to get views?

this is a HORROR video I did for the video contest. My nephews helped me out a lot...

Warning... it gets graphic. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: Play with the volume turned up loud, and the lights turned down for best results. It has the music...

http://www.vimeo.com/2021795
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:37 AM   #648
Major Player

Good one, Erik.
I'm still desapointed that nobody gives any detail like, where, with what, how long, and any trick they used to make the movie.
Some details on the first idea and how close you think you are with the first idea.

Making really short video is good in itself, but this kind of details can add a lot of value.
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:32 AM   #649
Major Player

I had a lot of ideas, but nothing I would be able to get on video. This one, about the haunted pumpkin seemed do-able. We shot it at Mt Charleston just outside of vegas using an EX3, editing on Sony Vegas. Took us two days to get all the shots. The effects were all old school, strings to make the vines move, reverse video and so forth. Blue screen was put inside the final pumpkin for the last effect... don't want to give it away for those who haven't seen it yet. :) The story is VERY close to what I had in mind.. everything worked. If we make a sequel it will be less music video and more horror story.

Actually, if you watch past the credits, there is a little making of montage. :)
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM   #650
Major Player

Thanks for the detail. I did watched the movie to the end, having your so small kid making the EX3 seems really big :)

I still have to fine tune my story and shoot... time is running so fast...
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:52 AM   #651
Major Player

No problem man.. can't wait to see it. For some reason I had trouble uploading to Philips group. The first time it failed all together, the second time the title and video information didn't show up. Which is weird because if you to go my vimeo page, all that info is there...
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:43 PM   #652
Trustee

just upload and let me know and I will add to group. Let me see who is entering, if there is no aquarium i will have to remove them! rules are rules.

Just put two new shorts up on my website/blog at philipbloom.co.uk

One called Return to Siberia, the other Grand Canyon.I have yet to make my (non eligible to win) entry!
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM   #653
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
just upload and let me know and I will add to group. Let me see who is entering, if there is no aquarium i will have to remove them! rules are rules.

Just put two new shorts up on my website/blog at philipbloom.co.uk

One called Return to Siberia, the other Grand Canyon.I have yet to make my (non eligible to win) entry!
HI Phil, what do you compress your movies to coming out of Compressor for the best results on Exposureroom? I have been faphing around with a 1280x720 4 minute movie in mp4 using H.264 to upload and it seems far too big at 450 Mb, though the quality is great.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #654
Trustee

Done a new blog detailing all the main gear I recommend and more importantly use myself.
http://philipbloom.co.uk/2008/11/08/...ourite-things/
Old November 9th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #655
Major Player

Hi Phil.

I'm very surprised that in regards to the brevis35 you say "if you want the most flexible, lightweight, quality 35mm adaptor out there you can’t go wrong with it" when many of the active EX1 & Brevis users on this forum seem to be having issues with it.

Is yours really free of vignetting / light fall off in lower lighting situations when zoomed to z70?

I feel quite mislead by reports of the cfXL curing all EX1 / Brevis related issues and your write up seems to be doing the same. It may have helped with edge softness, but even that isn't completely fixed.

I'd be nervous about recommending the Brevis to any EX1 owner at the moment, it's a big investment and unfortunately Cinevate do not see these issues as being a compatibility issue with the EX1, they blame it on the EX1's "inconsistent lens" so there's no refund path should you not be happy.
Old November 9th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #656
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Hi Phil.

I'm very surprised that in regards to the brevis35 you say "if you want the most flexible, lightweight, quality 35mm adaptor out there you can’t go wrong with it" when many of the active EX1 & Brevis users on this forum seem to be having issues with it.

Is yours really free of vignetting / light fall off in lower lighting situations when zoomed to z70?

I feel quite mislead by reports of the cfXL curing all EX1 / Brevis related issues and your write up seems to be doing the same. It may have helped with edge softness, but even that isn't completely fixed.

I'd be nervous about recommending the Brevis to any EX1 owner at the moment, it's a big investment and unfortunately Cinevate do not see these issues as being a compatibility issue with the EX1, they blame it on the EX1's "inconsistent lens" so there's no refund path should you not be happy.
That's disappointing to hear. Because of my alignment being out I was zoomed to z79 and had no issues with fall off. Are they really not saying there is a problem?
Old November 9th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #657
Major Player

Paul,

Are you using your Brevis with the flip now? and are your results the same with and without?

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #658
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Are they really not saying there is a problem?
Cinevate understand that there is a problem with light fall-off, but they blame it on the EX1's lens. the cfXL was designed to correct edge-edge sharpness issues alone, and the closest it comes to doing that is at z70. The trouble is you need to zoom in a lot more to get past the light fall off and in the process the edge-edge sharpness is lost too. Unfortunately this in not made very clear in their advertising, which states "Designed to address the Sony EX1 optical issues" and "the sharpest edge to edge EX1 solution in existence".

From various tests I've carried out it seems the image projected onto the brevis by the 50mm lens is fine, this can be seen by zooming out and recording some footage at around z60 - z65. Once you zoom up the frame however the light fall off appears. This light fall off is not present in the EX1 without the Brevis though so it definitely has something to do with the light path through both.

Here's some examples of how the light fall off looks on my camera. Excuse the terrible images, I really wasn't thinking about what I was pointing the camera at!

http://www.olikai.com/forum_images/brevis/z60.jpg
http://www.olikai.com/forum_images/brevis/z65.jpg
http://www.olikai.com/forum_images/brevis/z70.jpg
http://www.olikai.com/forum_images/brevis/z75.jpg
http://www.olikai.com/forum_images/brevis/z80.jpg
http://www.olikai.com/forum_images/brevis/z85.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Paul, Are you using your Brevis with the flip now? and are your results the same with and without?
yes I use the flip, I haven't tried without, I think I'd need an additional achromat to do that.
Old November 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #659
Trustee

it's a shame that they didn't look at fixing the light fall off, think it would need a special achromat like the one on the letus...Perhaps they will bring out a new achromat for the flip that will do this. It is billed as the EX1 fix.

When I first got the Letus Extreme had the same light fall off you are experiencing and it wasn't until they brought out their new achromat that this disappeared. Are you sure they def won't give you a refund so you can try a different product?

phil
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #660
Major Player

I have to say that Dennis,Hubert and co offer some of the best customer service I've experienced, they respond quickly and personally to emails. Unfortunately after several emails trying to solve the issues it became clear that that there was no cure though, other than using a different camera. I asked if I could get a refund and the answer was an explanation that it's the EX1 that's at fault and not the Brevis which I take as a gentle no. I haven't pushed any harder as yet.

Last edited by Paul Joy; November 9th, 2008 at 03:28 PM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds