XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM   #46
Trustee

rails are a must. I use cinevate and also cavision
Old December 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM   #47
Major Player

Phil- have you tried the Brevis on the camera yet? If so any comments on the difference between the Letus and Brevis... Nice job, camera is really tack sharp!
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:41 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton View Post
Maybe he had to pay for that coffee in dollars. ;)
Now in 720p, I can laugh some more!
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:59 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Phil, love the footage, have watched it twenty times. I've never used a 35mm adapter and would love a little more info and advice. Though it's out of the budget at the moment your vid has made me bound and determined to get the Letus35 Extreme. What I'm hoping is that you can help me put together more or less a shopping list of what I'll need with it, adapters, lenses, etc. You mention you use Cinevate and Cavision rails, which one would you suggest I go with? And is there a particular model or any extras I'll need for the EX1? Also can you give me some specifics on the lenses you used. Keep in mind this is all Greek to me. Would love to see a pic of your rig!

Sorry for the slew of questions, just enamored with the look you've achieved.

- Ray
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:14 PM   #50
Trustee

I will be shooting stuff with the brevis over next two days. My problem is the ex1 monitor is so sharp you hardly need a monitor. But my brevis doesn't have the flip

thanks raymond. Drop me an email and I will let you know what u need
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:24 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
I will be shooting stuff with the brevis over next two days. My problem is the ex1 monitor is so sharp you hardly need a monitor. But my brevis doesn't have the flip

thanks raymond. Drop me an email and I will let you know what u need

Hi Phil, you know your going to get lots of interest here on this...

you might as well put a shoping list on your blog... for the rest of us :-)

did you get to check out the samples of tilt and shift pics that I added to
my original post ???
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Great footage Phil, I am interested as Raymond is, into buying the letus extreme too an d I would appreciate your feedback as well. Hope this isn't much of a hassle to you so I will email you and if you could forward me the details about the equipment required for this setup I would greatly appreciate it.
Pavlos Symeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:32 PM   #53
Major Player

Good call Ray! Phil, a shopping list for Letus and EX1 with Pics would be awsome on the blog when you have time... :)
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:42 PM   #54
Trustee

great.. looking forward to the brevis footage. BTW, u r using FCP rite?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:58 AM   #55
Major Player

Hi. Great camera work there! Lovely footage.

What Do you think about the Letus Extreme compared to the XL (which I use) or HD100?
You don't have any pic's on the camera set up, EX1 and the Letus Extreme? What is the weight?
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM   #56
Major Player

I was on the fence about which adapter, Brevis, or Letus, Called the Brevis folks and asked them when their flip would be available for shipping they stated in 2 weeks. I was going by Phil's 35mm shootout report ( well worth the read @ http://www.philipbloom.net/ note that the Letus is not included in the report) and thought the Brevis would offer a quick setup over the Letus, I have read the Letus attachment to the camera and adjustment screws is a bit awkward over @ http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=113 also see the letus forum @ http://www.letusdirect.com/forum/ for more info about this. You have to give the Letus folks credit they were the first out with a Flip version. I am interested in Phil's report on the Brevis with the EX1 as he previously reported edge to edge sharpness issues with the HVX 200 which seems to be problematic with that camera with various users.

I placed a order with Brevis with the flip, and a XDCAM EX1 as well.
The EX1 is my replacement for the HVX200, (just following Phil's lead and agree with him). The 35mm adapters is a evolving technology in the DOF equation, and I am sure it will not be my last adapter, last camera, last computer as well along with the P&S mini I currently use. The equipment weight and travel leaves us looking for solutions that make it easier to capture images of high quality without the burden of heavy bulky equipment. My situation is I am a one person operation, lots of travel with the company I work for and the HVX200 was a solution for portability for travel in Europe and fit the clients needs for shooting and editing on location. Otherwise in the states, I use the XDCAM for production. I was dreaming that Sony would come out with a mini -XD camera system, (not liking all that data management with the cards). I guess it was, still is a dream.

Glad to hear Phil does not need a extra monitor and he was able to shoot in downtown London and hold focus with the EX1 lcd's monitor. Shooting with any of these adapters is really a challenge to keep focus never mind manage it . The DOF adapters can be a blessing and a curse, and Phil has demonstrated both slides.

Keep up the great work Phil!
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:31 PM   #57
Trustee

I wanted to update my blog, but forgot to put ilife 08 on this macbook pro so until i get home on Wednesday I can't. But I will write about all the ups and downs.

In the meantime here are some screen grabs from today. All untouched from the camera and with no adaptor
Attached Thumbnails
XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog2a.jpg   XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog1a.jpg  

XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog3a.jpg   XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog4a.jpg  

XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog5a.jpg   XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog6a.jpg  

XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog7a.jpg   XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog8a.jpg  

Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM   #58
Trustee

last few grabs
Attached Thumbnails
XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog9a.jpg   XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog10a.jpg  

XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog11a.jpg   XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog12a.jpg  

XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog14a.jpg   XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog17a.jpg  

XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog18a.jpg   XDCAM EX1 on the road blog-blog20a.jpg  

Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:35 PM   #59
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
great.. looking forward to the brevis footage. BTW, u r using FCP rite?
yep fcp. Brevis will have to wait. I need a lot of spacers between the achromat and the adaptor. Dont have enought. Same problem i had with my F350. Letus doesnt have same problem and Brevis probably wont when it gets the flip. the optical path is way longer which is needed. The half inch chips make it harder to focus so close.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:49 PM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
But my brevis doesn't have the flip
On the Z1 you can flip the LCD image using a magnet on the hinge of the LCD. I presume the same on the EX. Of course that is then a mirror image, but at least right way up.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds