XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 8th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #241
Trustee

the music is really lovely Ian. I would love to do a dvd of Kew through the seasons, you would be perfect for it!

Phil
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #242
Trustee

I think I am going to be on the Sony stand for the entire three days of broadcast forum at the end of month. Sony have hired me to answer people's questions about the EX1. Be good to meet you UK chaps who are going.
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #243
Major Player

I'll definately come and say hello Phil. I will probably be there on the first day.

I'll be with a guy who is desperate for me to film with him every week at Poole Speedway doing the pickup shots from inside the track. I tried to talk him into buying an EX1 but his budget won't stretch to it and he has just picked up a Canon XHA1 from Ebay. Decent cam for £1900 he paid for it.

I pick up my EX1 tomorrow from Prestons. Trouble is I have upgraded both cards to 16Gb, and they are out of stock. So I will have a camera and won't be able to shoot anything on it! :(

Only day I have free to go up there, and I like to pick my cams up rather than the post. Thrilled and gutted equally.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #244
Trustee

that is really annoying. Can you borrow an 8gb card off them or something?
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #245
Regular Crew

I wondered what Yevgeny meant when your name cropped up at BETT, Olympia today, and I said Sony should hire you as you were doing such a good job promoting the PMW-EX1 to folks like me, and he said "They are doing". :)

Got to see the Miller 20 tripod and can see why you like it so much. Now added to my order!

PMW-EX1 was very prominent on the stands of the two Pro video dealers I could find at BETT. One was showcasing ReflecMedia's lens/reflecting grey chroma screen using the EX1 as the main camera, although they admitted they'd only got theirs on Friday. The other had the EX1 as the main display camera with a rack full of nothing but EX1 brochures at the stand entrance.

Both were claiming that the EX1 will be more plentiful supply in 2 weeks time.

Not sure I can get a day off for the broadcast event at the end of the month(after 3 months "time out" I start a new contract on Monday and have already had to request a week out at the start of March for a conference in Las Vegas) but if I can I'll be there and will come and hassle you with questions ;-)
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #246
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
that is really annoying. Can you borrow an 8gb card off them or something?
That's exactly what I am going to ask when I get there. The 12 months interest free credit to too much to ignore, so I upgraded the cards and got an extra long life battery. was going to pay cash but just had a monster income tax bill through so the money had to be diverted to the Govt.

Be suprised if they don't lend me a card as I have purchased my last three cams from them and they will have hold of my 16Gb until I send the 8Gb back.
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #247
Trustee

So Steve,

You are driving all the way from Dorset to Prestons?!!
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #248
Major Player

Didn't take long. Just over 2 hours each way. Just got back indoors with my lovely EX1. They had one 16Gb card and they are getting more in next week so the other one will be in the post. Weather was dreadful coming back.

Now charging up the batteries for a bit of a play with it later on.

90 mins later:
I live in a house built between 1590 and 1610. As you would guess, the walls are two feet thick and the windows on the small side. To say its quite dark (but very cosy) is an understatement.

I couldn't film in there with my HVX, as it was always too dark unless the sun was streaming through the window. I have just seen the light. Literally. No I am not turning all religeous. I opened up the aperture and bam! Let there be light! I opened it right up and flicked the gain to medium. I had to close up the aperture. Most sensitive camera I have ever owned by a mile. A friend always raved about the low light capabilities of his PD150. I wonder how the EX1 compares to that cam.

Just got the clips loaded onto FCP. My HVX is still here waiting to be picked up by the new owner. I was going to do some side by side test footage tomorrow but he has rung and is on his way, which is a shame, as it would have been a good opportunity put put the two side by side and had some comparisons. And then post it on that other forum for them to rip it apart!

Last edited by Steve Shovlar; January 10th, 2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #249
Trustee

Quote:
http://www.philipbloom.co.uk/Philip_...Done_Come.html
Thanks and please enjoy and feel free to ask anything or comment.
Loved it. Is that your father? Or is the name a coincidence? He's got a great look and presence onscreen.
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #250
Trustee

thanks! that is my dad. he will be very happy with that!
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #251
Trustee

Well, he should be happy with it. It's not easy to look good on camera. Most of those who are new to it (though I have no idea if he is or not) look like deer caught in the headlights.

I thought he did a great job of looking relaxed and natural. Some people never get there.

My favourite shot was the low shot of him through the feet. Got a chuckle out of it. The seaweed (plants in the stream?) was great, too.

Oh, heck. It was all great...
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #252
Major Player

Phil

Did you figure out why you weren't getting good edge to edge focus? I think you mentioned that this was a problem with both the Brevis and the Letus.
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #253
Trustee

yes the ex1 seems to have very minor spherical aberration at close up zoom, this can be fixed with the right lens in front of the adaptor. Am sure the appropriate guys are working hard at it right now.

But i need to stress it barely shows, you have to really look for it and it really only shows on wider lenses.
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #254
Regular Crew

Quote:
yes the ex1 seems to have very minor spherical aberration at close up zoom, this can be fixed with the right lens in front of the adaptor. Am sure the appropriate guys are working hard at it right now.

But i need to stress it barely shows, you have to really look for it and it really only shows on wider lenses.
Hey Phil, do you mind sharing your zoom and focus settings on the EX1 and Letus? Stuff looks great!
Adam Ginsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #255
Major Player

Quote:
yes the ex1 seems to have very minor spherical aberration at close up zoom
Have you checked this out on other cameras? That is, are you sure it's not something unique to your particular camera?
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds