DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   PPC editing with FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/109233-ppc-editing-fcp.html)

Steve Mullen November 30th, 2007 06:33 PM

PPC editing with FCP

Is anyone editing from SxS cards plugged into a G4 or G5 using FCP 6.0.2 with the FCP plug-in?

Is anyone editing from an EX1 connected by firewire (FAM mode) to a G4 or G5 using FCP 6.0.2 with the FCP plug-in?

Is the USB reader shipping for those without a Xpress34 slot?

Andreas Johansson December 1st, 2007 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 785075)

We will get I USB Reader on monday so, yes they are shipping.

Dean Gill December 24th, 2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 785075)
Is anyone editing from SxS cards plugged into a G4 or G5 using FCP 6.0.2 with the FCP plug-in?

Is anyone editing from an EX1 connected by firewire (FAM mode) to a G4 or G5 using FCP 6.0.2 with the FCP plug-in?

Borrowed an EX1 today, plugged it into my G5 using FCP 6.0.2 + the Sony software and... not working at all. The Sony file browser is not compatible with a non intel MAC. Without this software FCP6 cannot import the files from the EX1, it doesn't recognise the xdcam ex files.
I wonder if Sony is going to release an update allowing the software to run on a PPC.
Its a shame, I've already ordered the cam...

Brad Vaughan December 24th, 2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Gill (Post 797802)
Borrowed an EX1 today, plugged it into my G5 using FCP 6.0.2 + the Sony software and... not working at all. The Sony file browser is not compatible with a non intel MAC. Without this software FCP6 cannot import the files from the EX1, it doesn't recognise the xdcam ex files.
I wonder if Sony is going to release an update allowing the software to run on a PPC.
Its a shame, I've already ordered the cam...

Did you try this?
http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowC...site=biz_en_GB

Craig Seeman December 24th, 2007 08:05 PM

I have no problem using EX1 with my G5 and FCP6.0.2. Sony XDCAM File Xfer software 2.1 works fine on PPC. Plug camera in, Open FCP, Import XDCAM and the Xfer software opens, I see clips, select and import. No problem at all.

Only the Clip Browser is Intel only and you do not need that to import clips into FCP.

BTW as a test I did the unthinkable. I copied the folder from camera to desktop and imported them in from desktop. Xfer tool had no problem seeing that either.

BTW the XDCAM Xfer software dosen't need FCP either. It'll open as an independent app on the desktop.

Eric Pascarelli December 24th, 2007 09:36 PM

I second that. Everything works perfectly on my G5. And and all at a reasonable speed.

Greg Boston December 24th, 2007 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 797876)
I copied the folder from camera to desktop and imported them in from desktop. Xfer tool had no problem seeing that either.

BTW the XDCAM Xfer software dosen't need FCP either. It'll open as an independent app on the desktop.

Yep, the disc version works the same. I can copy the contents of the disk to a folder and XDCAM Transfer is just as happy working from those files as it would from the XDCAM disc.

-gb-

Dean Gill December 25th, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Vaughan (Post 797809)

Fantastic! It works
I don't know why, I had missed this link.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Chris Leong December 25th, 2007 05:55 PM

Hmmm...
downloaded the 2.1 and the Mac OSX driver.
Using 5.1.4 still, though.
But even stand alone, the 2.1 won't see any of the files I've downloaded (don't have a camera yet.).
I think it's all working. Can someone point me at a reasonably small mp4 or mxf file so I can download it to test my workflow?
Thanks and Happy Day!
Cheers
Chris

Peter Kraft December 26th, 2007 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Leong (Post 798147)
Hmmm...
downloaded the 2.1 and the Mac OSX driver.
Using 5.1.4 still, though.
But even stand alone, the 2.1 won't see any of the files I've downloaded (don't have a camera yet.).
I think it's all working. Can someone point me at a reasonably small mp4 or mxf file so I can download it to test my workflow?

Chris, mxf files can be downloaded here: www.dendv.nl/ex-review2.php
I do have the same setup like you and it did not work. So I went over to www.flip4mac.com and downloaded their mxf plug in (demo). That did help insofar that I can ingest the mxf files right into FCP, however, I cannot edit these files in FCP, which tells me it lacks some codec.
I am pretty much sure, we have to upgrade to FCP 6.0.2.

Chris Leong December 26th, 2007 11:40 AM

Thanks Peter.
Downloaded the MXF clips but the 2.1 utility still won't see them. So must be a problem somewhere with the driver. I'm on QT 7.2 and OSX.4.10 so that's within spec. Hmm. I'll try the same clips on my WinXP machine and see what happens. BTW the Sony site says that 2.1 should work with 5.1.4.
Thanks again!
Cheers
Chris

Sebastien Thomas December 27th, 2007 03:58 AM

I installed the XDCAM transfert tool (2.1) on my G5 (OsX 10.4.X (latest patch level)).
I did not tried to plug the camera on firewire. I used the card reader of my Macbook pro and copy the files over the network.

Start FCP, choose import, select your clips, everything's good.
I then got out for more material, and when I came back, I tried to stop the import.
In the meantime, I did not see the auto-save window of FCP waiting for a yes/no answer.
When I quit the XDCAM import tool, FCP crashed.

Now everytime I start FCP and go to the XDCAM import tool (from file->import->sony XDCAM), FCP crashes.
The XDCAM import tool, on the other hand, is working fine. I can use it to "import clips" to a directory, then start FCP and drag the clips inside it.

It's like the link between FCP and the import tool have a problem.
I tried to remove prefs in ~/Library and re-install the XDCam tool without a chance.

I will soon move to Leopard with a fresh install, but for now it's just anoying.
I'll try to find out where the problem is soon this week-end. Any similar experience appreciated :)