DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Ex on a merlin.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/109305-ex-merlin.html)

Christopher Witz December 1st, 2007 05:08 PM

Ex on a merlin....

My EX1 showed up today from abelcine.... thanks guys!

And the 1st thing I did was put it on the merlin..... took about 2 mins to dial in and it flys very nicely!

I had to put all the weights + 3 from the vest/arm kit to get it right.

I'll try to post pics and .mov's when I get a chance.

Brad Vaughan December 1st, 2007 07:08 PM

Cool.

Can't wait to see the pics and video.

Octavio Gasca December 1st, 2007 07:26 PM

If you can make some test using a lens adapter, like the letus extreme would be very interesting to know if the Merlin could handle the extra weight.

Christopher Witz December 2nd, 2007 09:40 AM

a little more info....

the EX1 takes the same hole config as a Z1... but the bottom of the EX1 has a bevel at the lens side which gives you less flatness to mate against... but still seems sturdy.

I think the EX1 is more back heavy as opposed to the Z1 which is front heavy.

Ray Bell December 2nd, 2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke (Post 785824)
a little more info....

the EX1 takes the same hole config as a Z1... but the bottom of the EX1 has a bevel at the lens side which gives you less flatness to mate against... but still seems sturdy.

I think the EX1 is more back heavy as opposed to the Z1 which is front heavy.

I bet with the wide angle lens attached it gets balanced better.. ???

Matt Duke December 2nd, 2007 06:20 PM

I look forward to seeing your photos and feedback from using it as I'm currently deciding on which stabaliser device I will get with my EX1 and the Merlin was up there on the list.

Luis Figueroa April 29th, 2008 08:08 AM

Bumping Up for Updates

I want to bump up this thread to see if anyone can give us updates on using the Merlin steadicam with the EX-1. Does it really work well?

This would be for documentary production. We will use a matte box but *not* a 35mm lens adapter. Would the rig w a matte box be too heavy for the Merlin?

We are about to make some purchases and knowing more about this would help a lot.

Thanks.

Sean Seah April 29th, 2008 10:34 AM

the steadicam pilot would be a better choice i tink.. u will be threading on the limits of the merlin.. someone here has his rigged up Z1 slip from the merlin..

Jason Bodnar April 29th, 2008 02:35 PM

I am in the same boat, still researching but am considering the Merlin. I think Mr. Phillip Bloom has a Merlin as well, Maybe he could chime in on this thread.

Christopher Witz April 29th, 2008 04:43 PM

yes... I flew an ex1 on a merlin/vest/arm for many hours without a problem... flew well, but the pilot is streets ahead in stability.

Chris Medico April 29th, 2008 08:17 PM

I took a Pilot with an EX1 for a test drive at NAB a few weeks ago. My pilot should arrive here next week if that tells you what I thought about it. I think you could fly the EX1 with a few options and still make the weight limit. Not a lot though.

Performance wise, it was a DREAM!!!

Luis Figueroa April 29th, 2008 10:29 PM

Folks, thanks for the responses, all are very helpful.

In this and other threads it was mentioned that Phil Bloom said he has the Merlin with vest & arm, but I can't find a response from him giving us some idea of how well that set up works. So far it seems the consensus is to go with the Pilot.

Paul Curtis April 30th, 2008 02:27 AM

For what it's worth i had a merlin with a Z1 which i found barely useable and i have a pilot for the EX1 which is in a different world.

Although i suspect you can set up the merlin faster if that's an important factor.

But my vote is for the pilot, but if that's too expensive i would look at hand and shoulder mounts instead of the merlin.

cheers
paul

Mike Williams May 1st, 2008 07:38 AM

Glidecam 4000

I use the Glidecam 4000 and an EX, sans vest. Went from the Z1 and the weight did take some time to get accoustomed to.

Anyone using the vest for events?

Mike