DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 Design, Heat dissipation, Dust (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/109384-ex1-design-heat-dissipation-dust.html)

Mark Edwards December 2nd, 2007 11:47 PM

EX1 Design, Heat dissipation, Dust

I'm a little concerned on how rugged the EX1 is. I know using a tapeless camcorder should make it much more versatile for extreme shooting, but how does the ex hold up in heat and cold weather or humidity.Also, the slit that runs through the center of the camera (right after the SxS slot) it kind of worries me. What is it for and is it susceptible to any kind of damage(weather related). I've heard amazing stories about the HVX surviving through extreme conditions, and hoping,(since the camera is like 3 years newer) that it will do just as well if not better.

Thanks alot

http://ibc.mikkowilson.com/2007photo...%20(9).jpg flashlight shining through one side to the other.

Serena Steuart December 3rd, 2007 12:48 AM

The camera isn't water proof. That slot is for ventilation. The manual mentions that the camera shouldn't be covered by a cloth and such or it is likely to overheat. Other than those observations I haven't seen any reports of ruggedness testing.

Kevin Shaw December 3rd, 2007 08:58 AM

I was surprised to see that the lens remote connector has no cover, and the rubber cover for the SDI port comes off too easily. If I did a lot of shooting in dusty environments I'd be inclined to put tape over those two items when not in use.

Chris Barcellos December 3rd, 2007 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw (Post 786381)
I was surprised to see that the lens remote connector has no cover, and the rubber cover for the SDI port comes off too easily. If I did a lot of shooting in dusty environments I'd be inclined to put tape over those two items when not in use.

So Kevin, what was your general opinion of the Camera after your testing ?

Kevin Shaw December 3rd, 2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 786440)
So Kevin, what was your general opinion of the Camera after your testing ?

I thought it was good, but not quite as good as I'd hoped it would be based on the specs. In particular, the low-light response was better than other alternatives but could use another stop of sensitivity to really turn heads, and the images get very grainy above 6-9db gain. I did enjoy the solid state workflow and consider it significantly better than P2 in that regard, but people who like working with the DVCProHD format may not care much about the EX1. Overall a decent camera but not one I'm going to rush out to buy; now I'm waiting to hear more about the HD1000U...

Mark Edwards December 3rd, 2007 05:17 PM

Has anyone noticed any issues with the hole running through the center of the camera?

Chris Barcellos December 3rd, 2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw (Post 786583)
I thought it was good, but not quite as good as I'd hoped it would be based on the specs. In particular, the low-light response was better than other alternatives but could use another stop of sensitivity to really turn heads, and the images get very grainy above 6-9db gain. I did enjoy the solid state workflow and consider it significantly better than P2 in that regard, but people who like working with the DVCProHD format may not care much about the EX1. Overall a decent camera but not one I'm going to rush out to buy; now I'm waiting to hear more about the HD1000U...

Thanks for the little review. Good to hear some straight talk on these new rigs coming out...

Morten Gjerstad December 4th, 2007 05:38 PM

Anyone know anything about how the camera handles cold weather? I shoot in frigid temperatures with lots of snowdrift and want to know how the camera handles sub zero temperatures compared to the HVX200.

Sami Sanpakkila December 5th, 2007 08:42 AM

Oh yeah, thats a good question from Morten. I live in Finland and shoot often in -10 to -25 celsius. Is it possible with EX1?

Ive had some problems with my super8 after it gets colder then -20. And I broke one 16mm lens when its was -25. I was surprised to learn that there was some organic grease inside the lens and it couldnt handle the cold.

Sami