best media/storage solution for trigger-happy shooter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 5th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #1
Major Player

best media/storage solution for trigger-happy shooter?

Hi,
I'd love some advice.
I shoot sometimes 4 hour-long tapes a day, so I'm wondering how I'll handle the question of card space while out on a shoot... I can only shoot in HDV mode (I'm stuck with this until Avid updates Xpress Pro to handle 35Mb/s), which means I can fit a bit more on the cards... but I'm still in trouble.

So am I best off with:
1. a few extra 16GB cards... these would cost about $1,000 apiece
2. one of the Sony hard disk recording units that fits on top of the camera (holds about five hours of HDV footage)... costs around $2000. Downside to this is that it won't work for me once Avid updates, and I can start recording in 35Mb/s
3. new MacBook Pro, with ExpressCard slot. I'd carry it with me. Awkward, but at least it would also be earning its keep the rest of the time. Cost: $2,500 approx.
4. use my current powerbook (1.67GHz; 2GB RAM; running Tiger), which has no ExpressCard slot... so I'd have the Sony USB card reader attached: cost: what, $300 for the USB card reader? This would be by far the cheapest route... but would an older model (PowerPC) powerbook do the job?
5. ???
6. ???

Thanks for any advice.
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #2
Major Player

I am pretty sure you can just hook the camera up via USB and the card will mount on your Mac desktop.
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boswell View Post
I am pretty sure you can just hook the camera up via USB and the card will mount on your Mac desktop.
Yes you can,i've done it,at a demo with my own laptop which i took along.My laptop wasn't a mac though,just a windows pc.My pc just saw the camera's cards as 2 more discs/drives,no software needed,just highlighted files and "copy to folder",eg "my documents" then "my videos" or whatever.
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Isn't it funny how fast we can start missing good old MiniDV tapes!? :)

M
Old December 6th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boswell View Post
Thanks Daniel,
But wouldn't this be slower than the separate USB card reader + powerbook option? Also, if the USB card reader option works with my powerbook, then I can be downloading from one card while still shooting with the other.
Malcolm
Old December 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Isn't there an Expresscard to PC card adapter? I don't know if this would be any faster than connecting the camera directly through USB, but at least the camera would not be tied up while downloading the files.
Clark
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Thanks Daniel,
But wouldn't this be slower than the separate USB card reader + powerbook option? Also, if the USB card reader option works with my powerbook, then I can be downloading from one card while still shooting with the other.
Malcolm

True...I was just giving you one option that you might not have been aware of..thats all.

Personally..if you got the cache...i vote for a new MacBookPro. :)
Old December 6th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #8
Regular Crew

can the EX-1 backup one card (USB) while shooting on the second card ? Or is the cam offline in transfer mode ?
Carlos Moreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #9
Major Player

The camera is offline - when you plug it into a computer via USB, a menu choice comes up in the finder/LCD asking whether to connect to USB or cancel.

If you "Execute" the command, the finder goes blank, showing just the USB icon. Only then does the card mount on the computer as a drive.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #10
Regular Crew

You can use HD-SDI output in 4:2:2 and record using a HD-SDI input to your computer. AJA or Kona have hardware to do such but maybe not into avid, you could maybe use a Avid mojo.
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi,

I have an EX1 on order, can anyone recommend one of the hard disk recording units that fits on top of the camera or is there only one (HVR-DR60), If so, how many hours will it give at full quality?

Thanks
Simon Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Frances View Post
Hi, I have an EX1 on order, can anyone recommend one of the hard disk recording units that fits on top of the camera or is there only one (HVR-DR60), If so, how many hours will it give at full quality? Thanks
Hi Simon,
Unless I'm wrong, these hard drive recorder units will only record at 25Mb/s (HDV), and NOT 35Mb/s. I think it will hold about 5 hrs. of HDV.
Sony makes one that costs just under $2,000, I think.
Cheers,
Malcolm
Old December 10th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Malcolm,

Thanks for the reply.

I spoke to B&H and was told pretty much the same and that there wasn't really anything else out yet.

Just need to find out whether they are/have done anything about this vignetting problem.

Cheers,

Simon
Simon Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
So am I best off with:
1. a few extra 16GB cards... these would cost about $1,000 apiece
It's been categorically stated on here by others that the EX WILL accept cheaper than SxS cards, though a firmware update will be necessary, and there may be some restrictions, such as losing overcranking ability, and lower downloading speeds. It also seems likely that not all ExpressCards will be suitable.

It depends on timescales, and how soon you need the ability, but that seems like a more straightforward solution than in-field downloading, without as high a cost as you fear.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
It's been categorically stated on here by others that the EX WILL accept cheaper than SxS cards, though a firmware update will be necessary, and there may be some restrictions, such as losing overcranking ability, and lower downloading speeds//... It depends on timescales, and how soon you need the ability, but that seems like a more straightforward solution than in-field downloading, without as high a cost as you fear.
Thank you David for reminding me of the possibility of using cheaper flash cards... I wonder how long it might be before this becomes a possibility.
In the meantime, I've been thinking about it, and I'm not sure I really want to carry a MacBook Pro around with me in the field - - I don't have an assistant to look after things, and I'd be so afraid of having it stolen (it wouldn't just be my viz. that would be loaded on it, but probably my whole digital world... I can't afford two computers; if I get a MacBook Pro, it will have to be my editiing computer as well as a hd for downloading)... I'd have to carry it in a backpack at all times, which would be a pain.

So I'm back to wondering about some suggestions I read earlier in this forum, in another post (don't remember which one) about perhaps... being able to transfer from SXS to an iPod???
Was this just extrememly hopeful conjecture, or is there something to this?
And if not an iPod... is there anything else that would work... something small, easy to carry, etc. etc.

Thanks all...
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds