Try this with tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Try this with tape

You have 2.5 hours to:

Shoot for an hour
Edit the footage into a 8 min piece synchronized to a live orchestra
and play it back in front of 2500 people

rinse and repeat . . . 5 times.

This was my EX1's first job. A christmas concert that we had the audience members as they were arriving say lines from "Twas the night before Christmas" then edit it down to play as the second to the last piece of the concert.

With only a few "live performance gliches" it went really well. Real time capture is, for me, a fading memory. With only the scars to show for it.
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Just a little pressure!
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Major Player

not to be repeated ...

That kind of gig is the cause of great stomach acids attacking the rest of the system!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I hope they paid you enough to cover the event with such a high risk, cutting edge approach.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

It has been a learning experiance.

I have never been paid what I am worth ;) But we made out ok on this gig.

Talking about high risk. We had so little time to do the edit and because of the live music we had to run the finished piece from the timeline so we could jump ahead to the next cut if the music got ahead of us. We built in extra time in the B-roll so it would just look like a cut.

I can say, the EX1 was a champ. We ran HDSDI out to a Black Magic HDLink and into a 24in Dell. So as the pepole were being taped the others in the lobby could watch what was going on.

Then downloading to the Mac Book Pro was blazing fast. Sometimes 6 times real speed. There really is no contest in using the USB connection. The expresscard slot wins hands down.
Old December 10th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbes View Post
Real time capture is, for me, a fading memory. With only the scars to show for it.
Hehe, that's why I fell in love with XDCAM HD at our Texas Shootout last year. I could immediately see the efficiency of this method. So, although it has been disc based, I too know how elating it is to ingest HD at faster than real time.

Welcome to the new millennium! (grin)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

As long as continuous shooting (with media circulating between recording and off-loading) is not required, I guess the same can be achieved with my current workflow, i.e. shooting simultaneously to miniDV tape and the DR60 disk...
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The EX1 workflow is great, but let's not forget that most video cameras can be used with a hard drive (DTE) recorder which offers similar functionality. The advantage of memory cards is saving weight compared to lugging one of those DTEs around, plus not having to worry about another set of batteries.

Out of curiosity, how many times did you swap cards in the EX1 during this shoot, and did you have any concerns about rotating them? There's an odd note in the owner's manual about what happens if you remove a card and then reinsert it during continuous recording, so I'm wondering if anyone's seen any issues from that.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

We didn't have to trade cards while shooting. I have a 16 gb and a 8 gb card and I came close but never filled them up. I didn't have any issues with taking cards out and putting them back in. But we weren't continuously recording. Just recording different audience members saying lines from the story.
Old December 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Chris,

After off-loading, do you delete all the clips on a card still mounted on the PC, or remove the whole directory structure on it, or format it?

What I'd like to know is how a card should be prepared so that when inserted back to the free slot of EX1, once the other card fills up, the camera could start recording to the off-loaded card without any glitch.
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Dumped the entire card to its individual folder on the hard drive (unique name). Then brought up the folder (on the hard drive) in Transfer software, to verify everything was there, then trashed the files on the card.
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Capturing HD to external hard disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
The EX1 workflow is great, but let's not forget that most video cameras can be used with a hard drive (DTE) recorder which offers similar functionality.
What interfaces would you use on the current crop of sub-$10K HD cameras to get full-HD out to the hard disk in real time? For the EX1 the only digital interface that provides that is the SDI interface, the iLink/1394 interface is limited to HDV resolution (unless I've completely misunderstood the EX1 docs).

mike
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bender View Post
What interfaces would you use on the current crop of sub-$10K HD cameras to get full-HD out to the hard disk in real time?
My point was that most SD and HD cameras have some form of tapeless recording option available, so you don't have to have a camera like the EX1 to enjoy that benefit. The EX1 solution is just more convenient than most, plus as you implied also higher quality.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Respectfully :)

Which is really the point isn't it? More convenient and higher quality.
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds