Lens protection for EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM   #16
Major Player

The old cinematographer's rule is not to put anything in front of the lens that doesn't contribute to forming the image.

But these artistic/technical ideals are always balanced by commercial realities. Even on the most expensive productions there is a threshold of danger where a choice is made to protect the lens at the expense of image quality.

The question is, where is your threshold?

Mine is fairly high - I rarely protect my lens with a piece of glass. To me, avoiding the potential for flaring and dust, and worse yet, dusty flaring, is worth risking the front element of my lens for.

I have also found that the front elements of professional lenses are pretty tough - they don't scratch or break easily and they clean up well. When's the last time you had to replace the filter in front of your lens because it got damaged? Probably never. Filters are no tougher than the lens itself.

Some people are afraid to clean their lenses ever, opting to seal them behind a sheet of glass when they are brand new. That's being overly cautious in my opinion. Pro lenses are designed to be cleaned many times a day, as long as the proper tools are used.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I use protective glass, helps my blood pressure too :)

Years ago there was an issue with filter thread pitch, think I recall that Europe was .05 and Japan .075. I had a B+W UV that used to just fall off my Japanese GS400. The dealer here changed it over.

My new HOYA Moose CP and B+W MRC UV fit my A1 without problems. I first had the thin B+W UV but the rim is not wide enough to hold the A1 lens cap. The obliging dealer changed that over too.

My HOYA Tobacco grad actually says 0.75 on its case.

Fitting a screw threaded filter, I always very carefully turn it anti-clockwise till I hear, or feel it click. Then carefully screw it on clockwise, and not tight.

Ryan might give us the latest info on filter thread pitch?
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM   #18
Major Player

So if one wants to control blood pressure by keeping glass in front if the lens, what is the best choice? Is there any drawback to a UV/Haze filter such as this one rather than just clear glass?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Haze_010.html
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:07 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I have to replace the front glass on my camera about every three months. It is the only thing exposed on my camera while shooting on the water and gets salt water on it so needs cleaning all the time. We use fresh water with clean cloths but over time it gets cloudy. It would be a mistake to let the lens take this abuse. So for extreme cases protect.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:31 AM   #20
Inner Circle

As someone who shoots outside in NYC, there's way too much that can get thrown at a lens. Yes a piece of protective glass can impact the image. When you can SEE the impact is when you need to decide whether you should take it off. I'd start with it on though for my shooting circumstances.

Can someone confirm that the Hoya or Schneider/B&W Clear glass works with the lens hood?

I guess we can say it's been confirmed that Tiffen and Formatt doesn't.

I'm kinda surprised that the two DVInfo sponsors in NYC don't have glass that works in stock that works with the lens hood (assuming Hoya, B&W or another does). Both dealers (and my own non sponsor) will order one for me or I could order online but I'm not going to order anything unless I can confirm it works with the lens hood.

I do hope AbelCine and B&H look at this. I believe they're both recommending Tiffen at the moment and that's how I discovered first hand Tiffen doesn't work.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM   #21
Major Player

Mine came from Abel (who were great by the way), and they did suggest the Tiffen, which I'm now returning. I brought the issue to their attention.

Is it better to get clear glass than UV/Haze for regular use?
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:10 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I bought from Abel and returned the Tiffen yesterday. I guess if they get enough returns they'll test something else.

My thought is that since Abel has an EX1 set up, you can buy a clear glass, test on their set up, return immediately if you can't screw on the lens hood. They don't have Schneider B&W in stock. I mentioned Hoya when I was there yesterday and they didn't offer it so my guess is they don't have that in stock either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Collins View Post
Mine came from Abel (who were great by the way), and they did suggest the Tiffen, which I'm now returning. I brought the issue to their attention.

Is it better to get clear glass than UV/Haze for regular use?
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:37 PM   #23
Major Player

Craig,

Just confirming that I am currently using HOYA Pro 1 Digital low profile - it is sitting on my camera right next to me - but you need to get the Pro 1 as the standard Hoya's are not low profile.

Hoya suggest clear glass for any digital imaging as the UV filter makes little or no difference here. I bought the UV as it was actually cheaper than clear glass.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Camera arrived and it came with the B+W UV 65-070156 and the filter fits fine with some room to spare. The clear B+W 66-1001705 is on the way.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:58 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Paul, let me know about the clear B+W 66-1001705. I really need something that works ASAP.

I'd love to get it in NYC and I'd dearly wish the DVInfo sponsors in NYC carried it in stock but they don't. If I order I do not want to wait a week to get it. I'd get the Hoya as an alternative but neither NYC DVInfo sponsor has that either.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:04 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Craig I was told they are the same size just that one is UV and one is clear glass. But yes I will let people know when it arrives how it fits.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM   #27
Major Player

I just ordered it too. What's the rule about mentioning non-sponsors when none of the sponsors carry the item?
Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:11 PM   #28
Inner Circle

If Chris won't allow the post, send me a message in my profile.

I'd buy from a DVInfo sponsor but they have to have something in stock for me to buy it from them. Ryan from Schneider even point to a DVInfo sponsor but they don't have it.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM   #29
Major Player

I'm all about B&H and Abel--they have lots of my money! But they don't have this filter, so I ordered from Adorama.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM   #30
Inner Circle

I can get to Adorama in 20 minutes by public transportation. I wonder if they have it in the store.

I'll post the link for those looking to order. It's the same Manufacture's Part number Ryan from Schneider Optics linked to.
http://www.adorama.com/BW77CM.html

I apologize in advance to Chris if we're breaking protocol but the choice for some of us is between supporting Schneider (Ryan) who graciously posted here or limiting discussion to DVInfo Sponsors who don't seem to carry something many of us are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Collins View Post
I'm all about B&H and Abel--they have lots of my money! But they don't have this filter, so I ordered from Adorama.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds