Lens protection for EX1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:51 PM   #31
Regular Crew

also to confirm w/ what I've got working or not w/ the lens hood:
- the Hoya 77mm "Both Sides Coated" UV WORKS
- the Hoya 77mm "Pro1 Digital Protector" (clear) WORKS
- the Hoya 77mm "Cir-Polarizing" DOES NOT WORK (too thick a bezel)

Keith
Keith Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM   #32
New Boot

Tiffen

I bought a Tiffen clear lens for the EX1 and the lens hood would not fit over it. So I did the unthinkable... I filed down the edges of the filter... and sure enough, the lens hood barely makes it over.

Threads still good too... I attached a 77-72mm stepdown ring (with the hood off of course) and everything is dandy.
John Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 04:20 PM   #33
Major Player

Keith,

Hoya Pro 1 Digital Circular polariser does work - its just a little hard to turn. It is much lower profile than the other Hoyas - which as you said will not fit.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 04:44 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Just got the B+W 66-1001705 Clear Glass from Adorama. Fits Perfectly. No problem at all getting the lens hood on. They also have the Hoya Pro 1 Digital Protector clear in stock.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for that -- I'll try to trade my non Pro1 for a Pro1. Of course, w/ the lens hood attached it makes adjustment of the circular filter a little difficult...
Keith Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Can you reach inside the hood to adjust a polarizing filter, or do you have to take the hood off?
Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Peters View Post
Can you reach inside the hood to adjust a polarizing filter, or do you have to take the hood off?
Pete
You have to take it off, but it comes off quick.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #38
Major Player

Linear Polarizer

Can anyone recommend a linear polarizing filter that fits the EX1 without removing the hood other than to adjust. I take it the Tiffen 77MM LOW-LIGHT LINEAR POLARIZER Item Number: 77LLPOL is too fat.

Thanks…
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 03:35 AM   #39
Trustee

I found a Hama clear lens,77mm,screws straight on and hood goes back on no problem.
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Just wanted to make sure whether the HOYA PRO1 Super HMC filter (ring 3 mm thick, according to the description on webpage) will fit under the EX1's lens hood.

Can anybody confirm? Thanks.
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Linear Polarazier, a no no?

Hi all!
I think this is my first post ever, I´m from the still-photography world where you do not put linear polarizers in front of autofocus lenses,is it different on video cameras?? My EX-1 is due tomorrow, I have 77mm B+W Kasemann circular polarizer for the Hasselblad lenses, would be great if I could use this for the EX-1 as well...
Magnus Eklof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #42
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Eklof View Post
Hi all!
I think this is my first post ever, I´m from the still-photography world where you do not put linear polarizers in front of autofocus lenses,is it different on video cameras?? My EX-1 is due tomorrow, I have 77mm B+W Kasemann circular polarizer for the Hasselblad lenses, would be great if I could use this for the EX-1 as well...
Magnus,

While you do not need a circular polarizer for virtually all video cameras on the market today, you will be fine using the B+W filter you have on your camera. I have tested them and they fit fine under the hood. Of course it will be more difficult to turn with the hood installed.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #43
Major Player

I agree with Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
After trying all the brands on my Canon A1 I am now using B+W UV double coated with excellent results. It comes in 77 mm. I have one coming with my EX1. The 4mm brass ring with front threads retail is $79
I use B+W filters and I have been very happy with the quality....even for our Canon SLR's the B+W filters are much better than Canon's best.
Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds