DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Lens protection for EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/109774-lens-protection-ex1.html)

Craig Seeman December 8th, 2007 08:25 AM

Lens protection for EX1

I'm wondering what people who have/will buy the EX1 are using to protect the lens. While there are many "clear glass" filters on the market are any better than any other? While I want to protect the lens I'm concerned about degrading the image with cheap glass.

I was thinking of getting Formatt or Tiffen but I've no way of knowing how much, if any, impact they have on the lens.

Eric Pascarelli December 8th, 2007 08:44 AM

I would never put anything in front of lens except if a particular setup posed extreme danger to the front element, such as an explosion, chemical splash etc. I think this is especially true given the resolution of the EX1.

Dust and internal reflections are a risk. And the front lens element is tougher than you might think, and cleans up nicely.

That said, the best quality is an optical flat from a well known manufacturer such as Tiffen or Schneider mounted in a filter stage or taped in front of the lens. I use those routinely on hazardous shoots. When shooting subjects with hot sources in frame (such as a fire) you can angle the filter to reduce internal reflections.

I noticed that Formatt makes a screw thread optical flat but I have never tried those. I am sure it would be fine, as long as you consider the downsides above.

Steven Thomas December 8th, 2007 09:03 AM

Good ideas from Eric.

Craig, it would be an interesting to buy one of these clear glass filters and shoot some comparison tests.

Possibly looking for the affects of flare/unformity, color balance,CA, resolution, and geometry.

If there are no notable issues, then it would be safe to leave it in and not worry.
If you go through this great extent, let us know so I can buy one. ;)

Craig Seeman December 8th, 2007 11:34 AM

Steven, this is why I'm concerned about the quality of the glass. I'm not sure all clear glass are equal. In other words an inferior piece of glass may well show issues or at least more issues than a good one.

Steven Thomas December 8th, 2007 09:36 PM

Craig, I hear you.
Hopefully someone may be able to point us to a high quality solution that will fit the EX1.

Paul Cronin December 9th, 2007 10:19 AM

After trying all the brands on my Canon A1 I am now using B+W UV double coated with excellent results. It comes in 77 mm. I have one coming with my EX1. The 4mm brass ring with front threads retail is $79

Ryan Avery December 10th, 2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 789234)
I'm wondering what people who have/will buy the EX1 are using to protect the lens. While there are many "clear glass" filters on the market are any better than any other? While I want to protect the lens I'm concerned about degrading the image with cheap glass.

I was thinking of getting Formatt or Tiffen but I've no way of knowing how much, if any, impact they have on the lens.

FYI, Schneider produces B+W clear UV filters that are the leader in quality. We manufacture our filters from the highest quality water white Schott glass. Our standard filters are coated 5 times on each side in order to reduce the incidence of chromatic abberation and reflections that cause flare. Our MRC (Multi-Resistant-Coating) filters are coated 8 times on both sides and feature a hard coating that is resistant to water and dust.

B+W filters come with a 10 year warranty from authorized US dealers. Please be careful to ask your dealer if they are an authorized US dealer for B+W products with Schneider Optics. To remove any doubt, you can purchase from DVInfo sponsor Abel Cine Tech. To check if your favorite dealer is authorized, check our website below. Search under 'Filters for Still Photography'.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/dealers/dealers.htm

Here is a link to the filter you should buy for you PMW-EX1:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...D=681&IID=5714

Thanks,
Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Craig Seeman December 21st, 2007 09:08 AM

Thanks Ryan.

I tried Both DV info sponsors in NYC, Abel and B&H and neither had the filter (and also tried my VAR and they didn't have it either). They've been selling the Tiffen so I think you should have someone take care of their stock situation ASAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Avery (Post 790207)
FYI, Schneider produces B+W clear UV filters that are the leader in quality. We manufacture our filters from the highest quality water white Schott glass. Our standard filters are coated 5 times on each side in order to reduce the incidence of chromatic abberation and reflections that cause flare. Our MRC (Multi-Resistant-Coating) filters are coated 8 times on both sides and feature a hard coating that is resistant to water and dust.

B+W filters come with a 10 year warranty from authorized US dealers. Please be careful to ask your dealer if they are an authorized US dealer for B+W products with Schneider Optics. To remove any doubt, you can purchase from DVInfo sponsor Abel Cine Tech. To check if your favorite dealer is authorized, check our website below. Search under 'Filters for Still Photography'.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/dealers/dealers.htm

Here is a link to the filter you should buy for you PMW-EX1:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...D=681&IID=5714

Thanks,
Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Craig Seeman December 21st, 2007 09:14 AM

Tiffen 77mm NOT fitting.

Given the above and an immediate need I purchased a Tiffen TI-77CLR. The filter itself fit but once the filter was on I was no longer able to put the lens hood on. Both I and a friend tried just in case it was just me be fumble fingered.

It seems the metal ring of the filter offsets far enough to prevent the slots from the lens hood grabbing its mount.

I removed the filter and had no problem mounting the hood. I've done this with other cameras (PD-170 for example) without issue.

I'd hate to keep buying and trying. I'd really want the Schneider/B&W glass but I don't want to wait for that and find the same issue.

Maybe someone can tell me otherwise. Has anybody bought a clear glass that worked (or found it didnt' work)?

Brian Cassar December 21st, 2007 12:49 PM

Formatt HD does not fit

I bought a Formatt HD UV filter and like Craig, I was unable to fit in the hood. The width of the metal casing of the ring needs to be quite thin. Did anyone find a filter that accepts the hood as well?

Keith Rollinson December 21st, 2007 02:05 PM

My Hoya 77mm UV works just fine w/ lens hood. Just got in a Hoya Clear, but have yet to try.

Keith

Paul Cronin December 21st, 2007 02:48 PM

I ordered the 77E CLEAR MRC (007M) you can find them in stock but it is a search. I can not post the name since they are not a sponsor. I use the same on my Canon A1 it is very thin and I am sure it will work with the Sony hood. The Z1 had a similar problem with Tiffen thick filters besides the B+W is a much better filter.

Rob Collins December 21st, 2007 04:17 PM

Just got my EX1 today and was looking for one. Is the consensus really not to use any protector filter unless in hazardous shooting conditions?

Paul Cronin December 21st, 2007 04:29 PM

Rob this is not a filter it is clear glass with coating so it won't scratch.

Just found out my camera was shipped yesterday with everything but the two 60 batteries which are back ordered.

Graeme Fullick December 21st, 2007 05:10 PM

I am using a Hoya Pro 1 Digital in my EX1. It fits easily under the hood with some to spare as it is very low profile. It is also 12X multicoated - so a very good filter.

I also have a Hoya Pro 1 Digital Circular polariser - which also easly fits under the lens hood if anyone is interested in a Circular polariser that doesn't require a matte box (I use the Century 4x4 polariser in the matte box).

The other obvious advantage of these low profile filters is that they do not vignette on ultra wide lenses.

Sorry to disagree with the other guys, but I don't go anywhere without lens protection. The very slight (if any) loss associated with a very high quality filter is worth it in reducing my blood pressure - especially as I do a lot of travel work and things often pop into the lens.