ExpressCard-to-PCMCIA adapter: does it exist? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 13th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Major Player

ExpressCard-to-PCMCIA adapter: does it exist?

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows if there's such a thing as an ExpressCard reader that connects/converts to the PCMCIA slot in my G4 powerbook...
(this would allow me to dump footage from the SXS cards in the field, without having to buy a new MacBook Pro).
Cheers,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Major Player

There is a Express Card USB reader that should work.

Try Googling "ExpressCard to PCMCIA Adapter"
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Major Player

James, thank you, I did google this... but it seems to me that these are all adapters that go the other way. They're for people who have a nice new laptop with an ExpressCard slot, and want to use an old PCMCIa something-or-other.
In my case, I need to somehow attach the SXS card (which wants an ExpressCard slot) to my powerbook, that only has a PCMCIA slot.

Am I missing something obvious on google?
Thanks,
Malcolm
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #4

Malcolm..

I think you'll have a problem finding one. The problem is that PCMCIA data transfer rates are slower than Expresscard.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Duel Adapter

The Duel Adapters might help
Try here: www.duel-systemsadapters.com/

And look here: http://www.pcmcia-adapter.de/?gclid=...FRLyXgodElkipw
They too offer the Duel Craddle as well as the "normal" PCMCIA <> ExpressCard
Adapter which apparently is a two-way device.

And there is another good link: http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/active-...er-p29865.html

Hope this helps
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'll add that I have the Duel Systems PCMCIA -> Expresscard product, and it works as advertised (I use it for a PCMCIA AirCard in my MacBook Pro). There is at least one dealer on Duel Systems retailer list that has a 30-day return policy (worst case, less 10%) so might be worth it to try if you need this type of solution
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kraft View Post
The Duel Adapters might help
Try here: www.duel-systemsadapters.com/

And look here: http://www.pcmcia-adapter.de/?gclid=...FRLyXgodElkipw
They too offer the Duel Craddle as well as the "normal" PCMCIA <> ExpressCard
Adapter which apparently is a two-way device.

And there is another good link: http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/active-...er-p29865.html

Hope this helps
Thanks so much Peter. Indeed, the first one you refer to (DuelAdapter Cradle: ”designed to bring the functional and performance advantages of the latest generation of ExpressCards to computers with PCMCIA slots“) is exactly what I'm talking about.

Brent - - your MCMCIA->ExpressCard unit is the opposite of what I need, but thank you anyway.

And Bill - - I know I'm going to lose some speed. I know that if I was downloading an 8GB SXS card, in the field, to a MacBook Pro with an ExpressCard slot, it would just take a few minutes. I'd love that, but I don't have a MacBook Pro, I have a G4 powerbook with a PCMCIA slot, NOT an ExpressCard slot. Now... if I get this unit Peter has directed me to, I'm hoping I can plug the SXS card into it, plug it into my PCMCIA slot in my powerbook, and download. If it takes ten minutes instead of 3 minutes, I can live with that. Any ideas about how much longer it would take? (if it were to take an hour, I won't pursue this option).
I guess this presumes it will work at all. Any educated guesses? Is there any reason why it wouldn't work?
Am I missing something else? My powerbook is not Intel... does that matter if I'm just using it to store these video files until I get back to my office after the shoot's over?
Again, thanks everyone.
Malcolm
Old December 13th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Brent - - your MCMCIA->ExpressCard unit is the opposite of what I need, but thank you anyway.
This was just to imply that their PCMCIA->ExpressCard solution worked well, so the odds of their ExpressCard->PCMCIA solution should work equally as well (hopefully).
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Brent - - I'm easily confused (I'd just googled what I wanted and most of what appeared was the reverse of what I'd asked for, which made me wonder about my sanity) so I misunderstood.
Any thoughts on whether what I want to do will work?
In theory, I don't see why it won't. It will be slower... how much slower I wonder.
If no one weighs in on this here on this forum, maybe I could email the company that make this adapter. But I'm hoping that I'm not the only one with a G4 powerbook who wants an EX1, and one of these G4/EXers will know about this.
Regards,
Malcolm
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Malcolm - Definitely give the company a call. I think you'll find that it will work fine and the speed will be more than sufficient. When I called their support line, they were knowledgeable and ready to help. The card costs about $50 (or less), so there's not much to lose - at least you'll be able to get the files to your G4, after that you're on your own... :-)

Brent
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #11
Major Player

I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16839328009

or if you can plug in usb, this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812191024

Hope that helps
Kit
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #12
Major Player

I really do thank people on this forum for helpingme out... Brent, I will call the company to try to verify what looks like it just might work. And Kit, thank you - - the first one you refer to is also exactly right. I'll check the specs of both, see who ships to where (I think the last time I tried to get newegg to ship to Canada they couldn't or wouldn't).
Cheers everyone,
Malcolm
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Malcolm - good luck! Just let us know how well (or not) it works... :-)
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #14
Major Player

Brent - - I just saw your post to Brad on another thread... ”you can transfer the full source files (whether full 1080, 720, or 1440x1080) to the MBP through the expresscard slot - just pop the SxS card in the expresscard slot, run the Sony Clip Transfer software“... you went on, but my heart stopped right there.
Am I right in thinking that the Sony Clip Transfer software won't work on a non-Intel mac?
In other words, even with this ExpressCard->PCMCIA adapter (that solves my hardware issue), the transfer from SXS card to powerbook won't work, because my powerbook isn't Intel-based.
Is this the case?
Thanks,
Malcolm
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Malcolm - you don't have to run the Sony software, but it is supposed to recombine clips that are > 2GB in size or that span multiple cards (or so says the documentation). Afraid I have no more knowledge than what the specs say (about the transfer s/w requiring an Intel-based Mac) - sorry

Brent
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds