CineForm support for Sony XDCAM EX - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 18th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Hi David,

Sorry if I missed the obvious elsewhere (I did poke around your Neo site) -- will Neo HD convert the 1920x1080 35Mb HQ files, either straigth out as .mp4s, or .mxfs as converted by the Sony browser -- into a flavor that PC Avids can ingest? You might know that Avid currently limits the EX-acceptable files to the lower, SP-quality files at 35Mbs. Thanks, and congrats on your products!

Keith
Keith Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #32
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Just confirmed a long export is working fine here. So please send a trouble tciket with details on your project. Submit at www.cineform.com/support. Thanks.
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #33
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Rollinson View Post
Hi David,

Sorry if I missed the obvious elsewhere (I did poke around your Neo site) -- will Neo HD convert the 1920x1080 35Mb HQ files, either straigth out as .mp4s, or .mxfs as converted by the Sony browser -- into a flavor that PC Avids can ingest? You might know that Avid currently limits the EX-acceptable files to the lower, SP-quality files at 35Mbs. Thanks, and congrats on your products!

Keith
Avids unfortunately have limited third codec support (by design I'm sure.) If you produce 1920x1080 CineForm MOVs, they will import into your AVID system, yet the Avid will then transcode those to DNxHD. So it will work, and the quality is fine, just slower than it would be if Avid supported playback of third party codecs.
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Avids unfortunately have limited third codec support (by design I'm sure.) If you produce 1920x1080 CineForm MOVs, they will import into your AVID system, yet the Avid will then transcode those to DNxHD. So it will work, and the quality is fine, just slower than it would be if Avid supported playback of third party codecs.
Thanks for the response, David. It sounds that, if one uses Neo to convert to your flavor of 1920x1080.movs, it should work. I'll download a trial tonight or tomorrow and try, as Avid is not saying when they will support the higher rez coming out the EX-1s, and no doubt there are others who would enjoy your solution in the interim.

Keith
Keith Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #35
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Thanks Keith, that is good to know.
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #36
Regular Crew

What HDLink quality setting should I be using when converting the .mp4's? High? Medium?
Travis Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #37
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Reese View Post
What HDLink quality setting should I be using when converting the .mp4's? High? Medium?
What are your production needs. For 35Mb/s sources, High is fine, although some like Filmscan 1. Medium is not commonly used.
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hmm, there have been no code changes for export. We don't test NEO with Premiere as Aspect/Prospect is designed for that product. Can you tell be anything about the point in the timeline where it fails so we can try and repeat it here?

David, it was about 1 minuit and 20 second. I delete a clip at 1:20, and exported again, but still the image freezed at 1:20, where another clip is.

The project editing mode is 'adobe HD-SDI 1080P 24'.
Mooho Bae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #39
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooho Bae View Post
David, it was about 1 minuit and 20 second. I delete a clip at 1:20, and exported again, but still the image freezed at 1:20, where another clip is.

The project editing mode is 'adobe HD-SDI 1080P 24'.
Try Prospect HD, using CineForm preset, as it works fine here.
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Try Prospect HD, using CineForm preset, as it works fine here.
I just chaged video seting in exporting from "Microsoft AVI" to "Cineform HD Export", and it worked fine. The exported file size is reduced to about half. Thanks.
Mooho Bae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #41
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooho Bae View Post
I just chaged video seting in exporting from "Microsoft AVI" to "Cineform HD Export", and it worked fine. The exported file size is reduced to about half. Thanks.
There is always some piece of information I forget to ask. CineForm HD Export is using our tools, when the other method is not. Our export is faster, higher quality, and more stable it seems. Glad things are now working out.
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I've never used Cineform before but I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong here. I'm using the defaults for HDLink except for setting the quality to high. When I process the .mp4 files from the EX1 the resultant .avi files from HDLink are much larger than the original .mp4's. For example, 198MB to 688MB, 635MB to 1.8GB, 158MB to 703MB. Am I doing something wrong here? I thought it was supposed to produce smaller files. I also notice that I get a little static throughout the audio on the resultant .avi files. I don't hear that static when I play the raw .mp4 files. Any clues?
Travis Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #43
Trustee

Travis, the files will be larger.

Cineform is essentially an intermediate codec that is intraframe wavelet-based compression (not DCT compression) that is 6:1 to 10:1 smaller than their uncompressed YUV equivalent.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #44
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The idea is we are signifantly smaller than uncompressed, while maintaining the advantages of uncompressed. Audio issues are of interest, can you please upload a sample MP4 file that does has audio problems?
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #45
Major Player

My camera won't be here until next Friday or so.

I'm wondering how long it's taking to convert the .mp4 clips to Cineform using HDLink?

Can't wait to try this stuff out!

Looking forward to the Cineform SDI recording device.
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds