CineForm support for Sony XDCAM EX - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #61
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Bernard,

Thank you for this report, and more testing has confirmed your findings. Currently you can't a slow motion resampling from an EX1 MXF or MP4 file. There is a bug in HDLink that only enables this type from resampling from some source like HDV and AVCHD yet not so with XCDAM-EX. A work-around is to do this in two passes, convert to AVI then resample the result. We will file the bug report.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Shoot with MP4s for now.
It may be necessary to use the MXF format in case the clip is split into multiple MP4 files when the camera switches from one card to another or when the clip exceeds 4GB. The files can be combined using the the EX Clip Browser to export a single MXF file, and then convert the MXF to a Cineform AVI/mov file.
Bernard Racelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:57 PM   #63
Regular Crew

David, I'm still having the audio "popping" issues. I downloaded the file you referenced above but it made no difference. I've hosted the original .mp4 file as well as the converted .avi file for you to download. I'm sending an email to you with a link to these files. The popping seems to start about 3 seconds into each clip.

I've noticed a few other oddities as well. When I use CS3 and bring one of the .avi files to the source preview window the video looks what I would call normal when paused but when I play it the brightness is increased and the contrast is decreased.

Also, after using HDLink to convert one of the .mp4 files to .avi and then trying to open it up using Windows Media Player I immediately get a dialog box stating, "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help. <close> <web help>" The file continues playing behind the dialog box but with no sound at all. Clicking close or web help shuts down Windows Media Player.

This is a brand new install of Windows Vista retail version, no crapware installed, and no other software whatsoever other than Adobe CS3 and Prospect HD.

Also, on a side note of interest, I have a Sony HDR-SR8 camcorder. This is a high-def hard drive based camcorder which uses AVCHD. The files on the camcorder are .mts files. When I use HDLink to convert them I get "squished" files that are 1440x1080. Additionally if I play the resultant .avi files in Windows Media Player I do not get the error I get when I try to play the converted .mp4 files from the EX1. Just like the converted .mp4 files however I get no audio in Windows Media Player. And finally, when I import the .avi files into CS3 they import as video only, no audio. The native .mts files do have audio as I can copy them to another computer and use Nero to play them and the audio comes through with no problem.
Travis Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:13 PM   #64
CTO, CineForm Inc.

"Windows Vista retail version, no crapware installed.." Other then Vista :)

Submit a bug report at www.cineform.com/support. Some other issues have been addressed, some we haven't heard of before. Getting a sample clip we will helpful determining what the audio issue is. Although we aren't get any other reports on this.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:32 PM   #65
Regular Crew

No offense, but while I expect to hear to hear sarcastic coments from people regarding other people's choices on operating system, editing software, cameras, codecs, etc. I don't expect it from a professional company I just spent $1000 with for a piece of software. Particularly one that's not working as advertised at the moment.
Travis Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM   #66
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Reese View Post
No offense, but while I expect to hear to hear sarcastic coments from people regarding other people's choices on operating system, editing software, cameras, codecs, etc. I don't expect it from a professional company I just spent $1000 with for a piece of software. Particularly one that's not working as advertised at the moment.
What happens when you talk to engineering rather than going through support. You normally don't get to talk to engineering with other companies. We don't have time for the sarcasism filters. Plus I was being clearly had my tongue-in-check. Please work with www.cineform.com/support, I'm personally looking into these audio pops.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Reese View Post
sadly there is not very good support for vista for audio/video production with most software and drivers right now. on cineform's website it says that vista is not supported (under pc system requirements: " OS Windows XP plus Service Pack 2 w/DirectX 9 (Vista support coming)").

probably doesn't help much to say, but if you can at all go back to xp, you'll be better off. <ducks> i've seen comparisons that showed vista is 70%, um 70% slower :( than xp on soem standard productivity benchmarks (heard that xpsp3 is 10% faster than xpsp2).
Ali Husain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Sometimes it does get frustating with software, but David and Cineform are
one of the best software company's to have around...
They don't fool around, just get the job done as issues arise....

I'm sure David was just demonstrating most of our thoughts as to Vista....

Thats why the majority of Video Editing Workstations are staying away from Vista... too many issues that will take a year or so to work out...

Not to mention some of the NLE issues that have shown up because most had to be rewritten to accomodate Vista...

So third party folks like Cineform are having a great time right now... plus adding new camera's real time.

Some of us have all ready gone thru the fine tweeks that Cineform is so gracious to supply... ie... HV20

These guys don't get much better than this....

Plus, its still in quasi beta stages for the EX1, as the bugs are still being discovered and repaired at lightening speed...

Sorry, I had to say some good things... I just wrote out the check for my property taxes... :-(

Thanks David, keep up the good work
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:43 PM   #69
Regular Crew

lmao, offended by a Vista joke? Now THATS funny. =)

Think mayhaps a little gratitude for all the time that David has spent on this forum is in order instead of jumping on em what was obviously an innocent jab (at Microsoft, not you).

I for one am grateful that someone from a company like Cineform would actually come here to post and think its a shame that people would risk running off these kind of resources. This is the second time a lighthearted comment got twisted into something more. Does no one here have a sense of humor or are we just that frickin uptight and bight the hand that feeds?

- Ray
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #70
Trustee

IMO, Cineform offers the best support i've seen, period!
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #71

My first interchange with D.A.N., I was a little piqued. I've since seen how hard he works and how much David is committed to his customers. In fact, I was impressed enough to move up from Neo HDV to Neo HD. Cineform has my support.

Thank you, David. I wish other companies were as customer oriented.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #72
Trustee

I'm about to move from NEO HDV to NEO HD. I'm waiting on the non beta release.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #73
Trustee

I'm sorry, but I'm with Vista on this.

Why?

Because Vista is baby-friendly.

Here:

http://www.freakingnews.com/Windows-...ures-32571.asp
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #74
CTO, CineForm Inc.

New Prospect HD build 3.2.3.150 will be going up today, fixes a bunch of things. However, the audio pop fix didn't make it into the build. This was a tough one, it seems Premeire didn't like the audio buffer size we where using. The MP4s will need to be converted again.

Go to www.cineform.com for latest PHD build.

Here is the new patch:
http://www.miscdata.com/cineform/CFM...SourcePush.zip

Install Propsect HD first, then unzip and replace CFMP4AudioSourcePush.ax within C:\Program Files\Common Files\CineForm

Last edited by David Newman; January 4th, 2008 at 11:12 PM.
David Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #75
Regular Crew

David, the Patch is a dead link for me.

Also, is it the PHD install/build, the same for my P2K licence or do I need a different build? Thank you.

Edit: Patch http://www.miscdata.com/cineform/CFM...SourcePush.zip

Last edited by Christopher Barry; January 4th, 2008 at 10:36 PM.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds