EX in the fields: review from Norway and India - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 23rd, 2007, 03:51 AM   #16
Regular Crew

second part of review in India is up

Hello all,

Well, we made it, we filmed a week in India and we are back home safe with loads of footage and tons of impressions.

You will be glad to hear that the EX camera performed excellent, and this time in +33 degrees Celsius in harsh sunlight. Everyday a layer of brown/grey city dust was collected on the unit.

I just updated and finished the second part of my handson review, which I invite you to read:
http://www.dendv.nl/ex-review2.php

Now it's editting time! Will be happy to answer any questions.

Regards,
Erwin
Erwin van Dijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 04:08 AM   #17
Major Player

Erwin, with what are you going to edit the EX1 footage, if I may ask? And what was the quality of the footage - 1080 or 720? This is presently my dilemma at the moment!
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:08 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I am having trouble with your mxf files. They don't work with Cineform's HDLink (for AVI conversion) or DVfilm Raylight... Has anyone found a solution?

Best

Ruben
Ruben Torrejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

mxf files in Vegas and NeoHD

Hello Brian,

I am using Sony Vegas Pro version 8a for editting. All footage is in maximum quality 1080/50i.

The mxf files work fine on the timeline, but the computer power it pulls is enormous! My dual Xeon 3,2 GHz PC has a hard time: preview in quarter size gives 8 frames per second on average, project loading time is 5 minutes, switching windows back and forth is very very slow. Unfortunately I have no choice right now but to continue editting, maybe a new "muscle" PC will bring some relief...

Hello Ruben,

Be sure to get the latest version of NeoHD 3.2.2.b - other versions of HD link don't work properly with the EX mxf files. The latest HDLink version with NeoHD can convert the mxf files to avi, I tried it and it works. That said, I still encounter problems with NeoHD: 1 out of every 10 files it strangely refuses to convert to avi. That's why, for this project, I work with mxf directly on the timeline.

Regards,
Erwin
Old December 23rd, 2007, 11:59 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Actually I'm using Prospect2K and I'm having no luck with the conversion...
Ruben Torrejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Not sure if it works with Prospect2K, you might ask the Cineform guys, they are always very helpful.

Editting is well underway at the moment. So far I am editting with the mxf files in Vegas. During editting I disable most of the color correction and filtering etc. to gain speed.

Regards,
Erwin
Old December 29th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #22
Regular Crew

The footage looks great.... the colors are right on....

I played the orginal files back with VLC... they played fine and then I converted the files using Cineform Prospect to AVI, without issue...

then used MPlayer Classic for playback of the AVI files... looks great, the colors using that app popped very nicely...

I'm going to grade them tomorrow and see how it goes...

Thanks for sharing your experience with the cam/footage...

Last edited by Ray Bell; December 30th, 2007 at 09:55 AM.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #23
Major Player

Hey Ray
I have VLC too but was unable to get the mxf files to play. I have Vegas 8 as well but it doesn't see .mxf files either. I've downloaded the windows driver and installed it (I think it came with the 1.1 reader) but no luck. WinXP SP2 on a regular 3GHz P5...
Ideas?
Chris
Chris Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Leong View Post
Hey Ray
I have VLC too but was unable to get the mxf files to play. I have Vegas 8 as well but it doesn't see .mxf files either. I've downloaded the windows driver and installed it (I think it came with the 1.1 reader) but no luck. WinXP SP2 on a regular 3GHz P5...
Ideas?
Chris
Check to see if you have the latest version of VLC.... its up to 8.6D and that may be the reason your's isn't playing them...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #25
Major Player

Ray -
Ta-da! Success! Thanks!
Cheers
Chris
Chris Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin van Dijck View Post
Will be happy to answer any questions.
Great stuff! Lots and lots of questions...

Looking at the footage, I notice you're shooting 1080i. Why not 1080p?

Looking at 030_0421_01 (red/gold interior), there's a bit of boiling noise in the reds, I guess this is about +6 dB gain? More?

There's been talk of 'rolling shutter' happening if you switch on the electronic shutter, but I note you're using a matte box. Were you using additional NDs in India, closing the iris more (in which case did you run into diffraction or softness?) or did you use higher (i.e. electronic) shutter speeds to cut exposure after the internal NDs ran out?

You report that you cut down the sharpness. Totally agree with you! If I were being very picky, I'm still seeing traces of it in the India footage - did you try reducing it further? Or did it end up looking soft?

Although the auto modes are handy, how did you get on with the histogram? How do the Zebras work out in anger? The auto-iris shots seem to display a little lag.

Were you able to exploit the narrower DoF of the EX-1 over a 1/3" camera such as the HD100 in a publicly shareable shot?
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:34 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
Great stuff! Lots and lots of questions...
Looking at 030_0421_01 (red/gold interior), there's a bit of boiling noise in the reds, I guess this is about +6 dB gain? More?
I also would like to know if you had gain set on in this shoot, as I would personaly have closed the iris a little bit to get more informations in highligts.

The biggest problem with this camera is the exposure range, which is far under the (not comparable too expensive) Sony F900.

What was you "picture profile" (if any) set in this shoot ?

Thanks, great work anyway.
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Busy week again with shooting another project. Ok, here a few answers.

Red noise
The noise in the red on that particular shot could be from the gain but I am not sure anymore if I turned the gain on, perhaps a little of +3dB and I think I did close the iris a little. I don't know what is causing this noise on the red wall. On a TV the scene looks allright btw.

Shutter
I did not use the electronic shutter to change the exposure: everything was done with the built in ND filters. No immidiate notion of softness while using these. Besides that I used a matte box with 4x4 gradial ND filter a couple of times to darken the sky.

Picture Profile
Regarding Picture Profile: I only decreased the sharpness of the picture, no other settings were adjusted. I only received the camera a few days before the shoot and there was not enough time to test and get a feeling of what each setting would do. So only the sharpness was cut back.

Histogram & Zebra
I really liked the histogram and I switched it on quite often. It is superimposed on the lcd-screen very small, not really readable like you are used from a still photocamera, it is good enough to give a direction of the exposure of your shot. The 2 different zebra patterns are useful as well: the forward pattern is set to 70% and the backward pattern is set to 100% exposure.

The auto iris is lagging, that is true. The iris of the HD100 is lagging even more, so for me it is working better. I try to use manual iris anyway whenever possble.

DoF
The advantage of a 1/2" over the 1/3" of my previous HD100 is mostly noticed in the higher sensitivity: the camera needs less light. I did use a nice short DoF in a few shots (also with focus pulling) and during interviews, where I think the background was more nicely blurred than I am used to with a 1/3" camera.

Hope this answers a few of your questions!

Regards,
Erwin
Old January 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #29
Major Player

many thanks for your feedback.
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #30
Wrangler

Great post Erwin, you answered many questions I had, thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds