DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Color Control (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/110450-color-control.html)

Ryan Harrell December 17th, 2007 01:59 PM

Color Control

I have not seen this question asked and I apologize if it has already been answered.

The one feature I love about the HVX is the color control I have. You can really control the gamma in camera for some really cool/interesting effects. Does anyone know if this is a feature of the sony?

Leonard Levy December 17th, 2007 03:54 PM

The color control on the Sony dwarfs the HVX. It is really fabulous.

200 points of control on color temperature in 100 degrees each . This can be used for preset or to change an existing white balance. Another 200 ponits of control on phase. Similar for saturation. Also a 6 point matrix, and indivdual controls for point and slope on the knee.

Also gamma, black stretch and black level in addition to a group of gamma curves to chooze from. Its fast and powerful, my favorite feature in the camera.

Unfortunately there is no way to save a set-up on a card to match another camera.

Steven Thomas December 17th, 2007 04:12 PM

Actually there is..
You can store all menu settings including picture profiles to an SxS card.
You can only store one file to the card, but this would allow you to load the profiles to another camera. The only issue would be that it would also load all menu settings too. At least it can be done. Chances are you probably wanted the same menu settings anyway.

Leonard Levy December 17th, 2007 04:36 PM

Thanks Steven,

But you have to save it to an SxS card huh?

Is there anyplace you can store that while you are working with the card?
That sounds useful I guess on a shoot when you want to load more than one camera in the morning but useless as a way to keep and store settings.

Could you download those settins from the SxS onto a laptop (or thus even a memory stick) and save multiple looks there - then reload them back to an SxS for loading back into a camera?

It sounds like a pain but at least do-able at the start of a shoot.

Lenny Levy

Steven Thomas December 17th, 2007 04:43 PM

Well, given the 8GB cards are probably going to be REAL cheap within a year, you could use a card for that purpose. But, unless you format the card, the save file will always be there. There's no need to format (unless you have to). You can always delete videos via your computer (of course).

Also, having said that, I don't see why you would not be able to take the save file and back it up on your computer.

Ryan Harrell December 25th, 2007 02:01 PM

Picture Profile

Does the PMW not have a picture profile/ or user profile like the Z1 does?

Leonard Levy December 25th, 2007 02:33 PM

yes 6 PP settings so you can save there

Steven Thomas December 25th, 2007 02:47 PM

Yes, and it only take a couple seconds to back up all you settings and profiles to the SxS drive.

Leonard Levy December 25th, 2007 03:15 PM

So the SxS card will back up all 6 PP settings? That's not too bad as you could also back that up on a flash card or on your hard drive.

Steven Thomas December 25th, 2007 03:37 PM

Yes, that's correct.

Leonard Levy December 25th, 2007 05:32 PM

Can you record on a card that has scene files saved on it?
Can you only download the shots and keep the files on there?

Steven Thomas December 25th, 2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 798143)
Can you record on a card that has scene files saved on it?
Can you only download the shots and keep the files on there?

Yes, to both questions.