Anyone noticing a significant battery drain when not using the camera? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 14th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Has anyone heard anything new about the battery drain issue? Mine drains down in about 72 hours.

I was wondering if this is only an issue with the first batch of cameras, like the unbalanced light falloff, "Vignette" problem if you like. If so are any of you new adopters experiencing the battery drain issue?

Thanks

Simon
Simon Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Simon I have the stock 30 and two extra 60 batteries and all three drain if I leave them in the camera. Now I keep them in the pack and only put them on the camera when I am shooting.

I have not timed how long it takes to drain.
Old January 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I've only noticed the drain when leaving the camera in the battery. One weekend with the camera off but the battery left in took the charge from 70-80% down to 0.

Now I just keep the battery out unless I'm shooting.
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #19
Major Player

I'm very seriously considering purchasing the EX1, so I'm asking a few questions here and there. I hope everyone forgives some very basic questions.
My SOP is to remove batteries after every shoot and leave them on the charger. I got into this habit with my Anton Bauer batteries, which, according to the manual, are happiest when living on their charger. They (Anton Bauer) suggest to not "drain the battery" and rather just let it sit on the charger when not in use.

Is SOP different for these little "DV" batteries?
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #20
Major Player

heat build up?

So is some portion of the camera still actually on? Could there then be heat build-up in a non vented case?
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #21
Regular Crew

The camera is ultra-low heat to begin with... I kept it in a shut bag overnight with the battery and didn't notice anything warm about it.
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #22
Contributor

It is my understanding that the EX style batteries has new "fuel gauging" circuitry in them, similar to AB batteries. Is it possible that when you guys are talking of self discharging while on the camera, the actual mechanism is not that of loosing charge, but a glitch in the state of charge reporting? In other words, the battery is still full, but the display reports low state of charge? Did you try to actually run the camera?
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Dolgin View Post
It is my understanding that the EX style batteries has new "fuel gauging" circuitry in them, similar to AB batteries. Is it possible that when you guys are talking of self discharging while on the camera, the actual mechanism is not that of loosing charge, but a glitch in the state of charge reporting? In other words, the battery is still full, but the display reports low state of charge? Did you try to actually run the camera?
Batteries will completely discharge (after a period of time) if left on the camera - if you try to turn the camera on, it won't power up and batteries read empty.
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #24
Trustee

The batteries do come with a detailed set of instructions. Reading them, especially the section on storage, might answer many questions and save you some money.
I'll admit I was a bit taken aback when I first read them and raised the issue with our business owner as we have a LOT of Li-Ion batteries. It seems these instructions are nothing new, Sony has always advised following these procedures for all of their Li-Ion batteries. It's only thanks to something Serena mentioned here that caused me to read the instructions. Lesson learned, no matter how trivial an item might seem if comes with detailed instructions, read them.
That said having to keep batteries in a less than fully charged state is a bit of a PIA if you want to be ready to rock and roll 24/7.

There's another very good reason for taking the battery off the camera BEFORE putting it in a case. It's very easy to not switch the camera off or switch it to Media by mistake. Putting the camera into a foam cocoon while it's On soon heats it up quite a lot. I've done this twice. I don't now how tolerant the EX1 is of getting overheated or what thermal protection it has but we've had a Z1 blow a fuse or two when this was done. I don't want this happening to my EX1, so now I remove the battery before I put it back in the case.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #25
New Boot

I have also noticed that the battery gets drained when left on the EX1. I've never had this problem with any of the 4 previous Sony cameras I've owned. I will add that I have not noticed this drain problem with the extra battery (BP-U60) that I ordered.... only the BP-U30 that shipped with the camera.
Craig Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I haven't tested it out but i remove the battery when camera is not in use. I've noticed this same phenomenon with DP-170 earlier. Fully loaded high capacity battery which had been attached to camera for one day had only under one hour left when camera was turned on next time.
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Really strange to me, as I can leave my V1E with half-empty 970 battery on for a couple of weeks, and it still read over 300 mins!
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #28
Anton/Bauer

Many cameras now a days are drawing on the battery even when the camera is off. Panasonics P2 cameras keep the time code running.

Anton/Bauer has always recommended that batteries not be left on the camera overnight, but are returned to the charger to be topped off with a charge.

Scott Keyworth
Anton/Bauer
Scott Keyworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Bob Grant has made a great point. "Read the Instructions" they will answer a lot of the questions.
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Scott,

Are we going to see an EX1 adapter for A/B batteries similar to what I have on my Canon XL H1. One Dionic powers that camera for 8-10 hours. It's awesome.

Vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds