DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Anyone noticing a significant battery drain when not using the camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/110556-anyone-noticing-significant-battery-drain-when-not-using-camera.html)

Brent Ethington December 18th, 2007 09:11 PM

Anyone noticing a significant battery drain when not using the camera?

I've noticed that with the stock battery, the battery loses 20-30 minutes of charge overnight when the camera is in the OFF position. I had over an hour left of battery on Friday and went to pick up the camera tonight and found the battery completely dead. I haven't noticed this kind of drain on any of my other cameras.

Anyone else noticed this with the PMW-EX1? I'm wondering if it's an issue with the camera, the battery, or just the nature of the PMW-EX1...

Bill Heslip December 18th, 2007 09:21 PM

Same here. My new SOP is to remove the battery when not in use (not an easy habit to start after all these years). Never an issue with any camera I've ever owned, but not a big deal.

Brent Ethington December 18th, 2007 09:24 PM

Thanks Bill. Yeah, I was thinking about doing that as well. Only concern was how long the backup battery would last (the manual doesn't say) as I'd hate to lose the camera settings.

Serena Steuart December 18th, 2007 09:39 PM

Bob reported the same experience. Possibly I have just now, but hadn't adequately noted how much charge was remaining last night (battery now on charge). Somewhere in the manual (but now I can't find where) it tells not to leave a battery charged more than x% if to be stored for more than 24 hours. Maybe this is a means of ensuring that!

Steven Thomas December 18th, 2007 09:43 PM

Yes, I have noticed.

Winston Ashley December 19th, 2007 12:07 AM

I'm in! Left he battery in last night and it started up 30% less.

Brian Cassar December 19th, 2007 04:33 AM

Same here! I've noticed this strange occurrance. This means that even in a shoot, some battery usage is happening even whilst the camera is off. Or else these new batteries are not capable of storing power for a long period of time.

Simon Wyndham December 19th, 2007 05:26 AM

Yes, I've noticed this, and it is really getting on my nerves!

I'm not sure if it is the camera or the battery that has the issue. I've noticed this sort of draining going on when I've charged a battery and taken it off the charger and left it for a couple of days. Perhaps someone else can try this and let me know what happens to theirs.

Steven Thomas December 19th, 2007 06:14 AM

I'm not sure if i've seen this with the battery removed from the camera. For sure with it in.

Piotr Wozniacki December 19th, 2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 795181)
I'm not sure if i've seen this with the battery removed from the camera. For sure with it in.

And this is very important to resolve, as we'd like to know whether its the camera draining current, or the battery not holding its charge...

Bob Grant December 19th, 2007 08:06 AM

Left on the camera I've flattened a battery in a few days. Off the camera they seem to be holding charge just fine, that's going by the indicator in the battery. Keep in mind it may take a few cycles of the battery for it to reach full capacity so don't panic too soon about battery life. It also seems that glorious LCD screen uses a lot of power.

But still, the discharging on the camera is interesting. There maybe a good explaination for it. The camera seems to do some housekeeping after you turn it off. All Sony cameras do drain the battery to some extent if you leave the battery on. The internal clock battery is recharged by the battery but there is some leakage even when the clock battery is fully charged. Certainly nowhere near as dramatic as what's happening with the EX1 though.

Chuck Wall December 19th, 2007 08:12 AM

Same problem here, battery holds charge when not mounted on camera.

Chuck

Simon Wyndham December 19th, 2007 08:19 AM

I'm going to try mine again. Reason I mentioned it was because I once charged it up and took it off the charger, but didn't have a chance to use it for a few days. When I put it on the camera it was dead. I'll try again though.

Steven Thomas December 19th, 2007 08:43 AM

I noticed the JVC HD100 does the same thing, just not quite as bad.
I'd say leaving the IDX battery in this camera for over a week it will almost exhaust the battery.
The EX1 one will completely exhaust the battery from full to nothing in 3 days.

Greg Boston December 19th, 2007 08:48 AM

My F350 will do it to any battery I leave attached for a few days. It's not the battery chemistry either, because I have NiCad, NMH, and LiIon batteries, all Anton Bauers.

-gb-