Anyone noticing a significant battery drain when not using the camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone noticing a significant battery drain when not using the camera?

I've noticed that with the stock battery, the battery loses 20-30 minutes of charge overnight when the camera is in the OFF position. I had over an hour left of battery on Friday and went to pick up the camera tonight and found the battery completely dead. I haven't noticed this kind of drain on any of my other cameras.

Anyone else noticed this with the PMW-EX1? I'm wondering if it's an issue with the camera, the battery, or just the nature of the PMW-EX1...
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Same here. My new SOP is to remove the battery when not in use (not an easy habit to start after all these years). Never an issue with any camera I've ever owned, but not a big deal.
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Bill. Yeah, I was thinking about doing that as well. Only concern was how long the backup battery would last (the manual doesn't say) as I'd hate to lose the camera settings.
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Bob reported the same experience. Possibly I have just now, but hadn't adequately noted how much charge was remaining last night (battery now on charge). Somewhere in the manual (but now I can't find where) it tells not to leave a battery charged more than x% if to be stored for more than 24 hours. Maybe this is a means of ensuring that!
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #5
Trustee

Yes, I have noticed.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm in! Left he battery in last night and it started up 30% less.
Winston Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Same here! I've noticed this strange occurrance. This means that even in a shoot, some battery usage is happening even whilst the camera is off. Or else these new batteries are not capable of storing power for a long period of time.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #8
Trustee

Yes, I've noticed this, and it is really getting on my nerves!

I'm not sure if it is the camera or the battery that has the issue. I've noticed this sort of draining going on when I've charged a battery and taken it off the charger and left it for a couple of days. Perhaps someone else can try this and let me know what happens to theirs.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #9
Trustee

I'm not sure if i've seen this with the battery removed from the camera. For sure with it in.
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
I'm not sure if i've seen this with the battery removed from the camera. For sure with it in.
And this is very important to resolve, as we'd like to know whether its the camera draining current, or the battery not holding its charge...
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #11
Trustee

Left on the camera I've flattened a battery in a few days. Off the camera they seem to be holding charge just fine, that's going by the indicator in the battery. Keep in mind it may take a few cycles of the battery for it to reach full capacity so don't panic too soon about battery life. It also seems that glorious LCD screen uses a lot of power.

But still, the discharging on the camera is interesting. There maybe a good explaination for it. The camera seems to do some housekeeping after you turn it off. All Sony cameras do drain the battery to some extent if you leave the battery on. The internal clock battery is recharged by the battery but there is some leakage even when the clock battery is fully charged. Certainly nowhere near as dramatic as what's happening with the EX1 though.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Same problem here, battery holds charge when not mounted on camera.

Chuck
Chuck Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #13
Trustee

I'm going to try mine again. Reason I mentioned it was because I once charged it up and took it off the charger, but didn't have a chance to use it for a few days. When I put it on the camera it was dead. I'll try again though.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #14
Trustee

I noticed the JVC HD100 does the same thing, just not quite as bad.
I'd say leaving the IDX battery in this camera for over a week it will almost exhaust the battery.
The EX1 one will completely exhaust the battery from full to nothing in 3 days.
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #15
Wrangler

My F350 will do it to any battery I leave attached for a few days. It's not the battery chemistry either, because I have NiCad, NMH, and LiIon batteries, all Anton Bauers.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds