Recording format… at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 19th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Recording format…

For an HD documentary type piece, mountains and people, what recording format should I choose in order to maximize my publishing options while maintaining maximum quality. I live and work in New Zealand, PAL, and Mexico, NTSC, and I might even, pigs might fly, print to film.

I edit using Vegas 8 Pro. Long render times are not problematic.

Thanks for comments.

John
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #2
Major Player

I think you've answered your question yourself. In HD there is no PAL/NTSC, although there is 50/60Hz. If you might go to film 1920x1080P 25/24fps looks like a good match. But if you're going to overcrank a lot (waterfall, skiers, birds) you might be thinking 1280 x 720.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #3
Major Player

[QUOTE=Serena Steuart;795691]I think you've answered your question yourself. QUOTE]

You mean, like, there is an answer! I understand there are options.

I want to set the camera in such a fashion that I capture the highest quality imagery that might be used to produce the media of my choice, including print to film and lowly plain old standard definition DVDs, and everything in-between.

OK, so I’ve selected HQ mode and 1920 x 1080 image resolution. For over cranking I should select 1280 x 720 but I don’t see much of that happening in this production. I’ll take a look while I’m up there for sure, thanks Serena, for the tip.

The questions remain:

Progressive or interlace, one or the other.

Frame rate: a choice among many.

The decisions regarding settings must be informed by the need to preserve high quality in collaboration with the widest range of end products be they print to film, HDTV, TV or DVD (your flavour), whatever...

Perhaps there is no definitive answer, yet. The camera is very new after all. Maybe I should just take the camera out of the box when it arrives, charge the battery, and shoot with the default settings, play around where necessary in post to get ‘that look’, and render off as needs be.

What a novel idea!

The camera might be almost that good. And we can focus on the story.

That would be cool.

Progressive or interlace, and frame rate…for going out to best quality whatever, is the question…por favor…what settings to acquire a ‘master copy’ for multiple uses?
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Use HQ 1920 x 1080 progressive 24 frames per second with a 180 degree shutter. If there is no chance you will be going to film use the same settings except for 30 frames per second.
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #5
Major Player

John,

Make that 1080P at 25 frames a second - Jim, we live in PAL land!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds