EX1 visible chromatic aberrations on slashcam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 21st, 2007, 05:53 AM   #1
Tourist

EX1 visible chromatic aberrations on slashcam

There is a nice german article on slashcam.de about the chromatic aberrations of the EX1.

http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Scoop...EX1-Optik.html

or (quite bad) translated.

http://www.google.com/translate?u=ht...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

My english is not as perfect as my german but here is a short summary: The Fujinon lens of the EX1 produces a lot of chromatic aberrations, but (!!) the Cam has a build in digital CAC (chromatic aberrations correction). But the CAC is only active when there is no lense movement like zoom. So you can see the aberrations clearly while you zoom.
The page has two nice 200% slpitscreens, where you can see the difference. Many people heard about the CAC before, but here you can see the difference. So maybe its important for someones buying decision...

Happy Christmas

Dieter
Dieter Kollwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Trustee

This is nuts. Even SD cameras have this. Why even point it out anymore? They talk about how thsi is some type of defect but it is just something we have to live with. Now that so many people have high quality cameras every little imperfection they see gets blown out of the water and made into such a big deal.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM   #3
Major Player

interesting discovery! on the example QT movie there is a real jump right at the end of zoom, is that just an operator thing or is that the CAC kicking in? Because if it's the CAC that's pretty distracting...

The aberation isn't too bad bearing in mind the scene and that they are pixel peeping...

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM   #4
Trustee

I've seen lens that cost 3X the cost of the EX1 have CA. I agree, why bother.
Also, from what I see, regardless when it "may" occur, it's by far better than my previous cameras.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:19 AM   #5
Trustee

On top of that...
I'm looking at some of my footage during zooms right now, and I'm not really seeing much... If it's there, it's not jumping out, so it's not a problem.

My JVC HD100 had FAR more CA.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:38 AM   #6
Major Player

I think I can live with it - zoom is nothing more than a way to reframe for me 95% of the time.

With my XH-A1 I recently shot an interview with someone in a black shirt against a white wall, sitting on one side of the frame...the thin pink line outlining one side of their shirt is pretty distracting - that's the kind of CA I'm concerned about, the kind that jumps out of a static shot where the viewer's eyes have a chance to focus on it - and it looks like that's exactly what the CA correction of the EX1 eliminates.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 07:44 AM   #7
Wrangler

CA is even more difficult to tame with HD lenses. I read this somewhere while researching the causes of CA in general.

The biggest offender is running wide open on the long end of the lens.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:15 AM   #8

So, exactly what is it that causes the CA. One arguement is that it's caused by optical distortion of the different wavelengths of light thru the lens. A high quality $1500 still camera lens corrects out CA. Another arguement is that it's related to using 3 sensors. Which one is it?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:07 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
So, exactly what is it that causes the CA. One arguement is that it's caused by optical distortion of the different wavelengths of light thru the lens. A high quality $1500 still camera lens corrects out CA. Another arguement is that it's related to using 3 sensors. Which one is it?
All of the above. It's virtually impossible to get a lens to pass all wavelengths equally in all situations and the three chip design with prism block will definitely exploit any weakness in the lens's ability. The video lens is more complex because it has to minimize breathing which introduces more moving elements to compensate.

I'll see if I can dig up the links to the pages I was reading.

-gb-
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:21 AM   #10

Greg..

So, what you're saying is that it's easier for a 35mm lens to correct out CA because it doesn't have optical elements that correct breathing? I have some very nice Canon EOS zooms that don't show a hint of CA at any zoom or aperture setting. These zooms are very complex designs.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:21 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
A high quality $1500 still camera lens corrects out CA.
A large zoom ratio really brings out CA, and a high quality $1500 still camera lens does not have a large zoom ratio. Even the longest telephoto zooms in still photography are typically only 3x or 4x. However in video it's common to have 14x to 20x zoom lenses, and that's why CA is much more apparent in video than in still photography. The shorter the zoom ratio (not the focal length but the zoom ratio) the easier it is to correct, and the less likely a lens will exhibit CA.

Required reading: "HDTV Lens Design: Management of Chromatic Aberrations"
http://www.usa.canon.com/industrial_...WhitePaper.pdf

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:37 AM   #12

Thanx, everyone.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:40 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Thanx, everyone.
Here is one link that describes the scenario, including what Chris alluded to.

http://www.canon.com/bctv/faq/chrab.html

This not the the page I was recalling... still looking for that one.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:35 AM   #14

Thanx, Greg. I already knew what causes CA in lenses. I didn't understand why videocam lenses had so much more CA than 35mm cam lenses. I think you and Chris gave me the answer. Videocam lenses have much harder optical problems to neutralize, namely long zoom ratios and mitigation of breathing effects.

Actually, it makes a good case for having an interchangeable lens camera and small zoom ratio lenses.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:43 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Thanx, Greg. I already knew what causes CA in lenses. I didn't understand why videocam lenses had so much more CA than 35mm cam lenses. I think you and Chris gave me the answer. Videocam lenses have much harder optical problems to neutralize, namely long zoom ratios and mitigation of breathing effects.

Actually, it makes a good case for having an interchangeable lens camera and small zoom ratio lenses.
Yep, or at least a lens with a built in 2X for those times when you need the extra reach. Wishing I had the 13x3.3 with 2X on my XDCAM HD.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds