Letīs get rid of the viewfinder! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 12th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #16
Regular Crew
I'm finding that I am not using the viewfinder with this cam and it can really get in the way at times. Anyone come across a protective cover for the viewfinder screen yet?
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #17
Inner Circle
All times when I use this camera hand held I use the viewfinder. To hold the camera properly for a long hand hold (2-8 hrs) it needs to be on your shoulder. With the camera on your shoulder with a brace the LCD is not as effective for my shooting.

Keep the VF.
Paul Cronin
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #18
Major Player
To throw in my .06Ē, the viewfinder is a very useful feature to have, especially for these handheld size cams.

1) It adds an additional point for stabilization: right hand on grip, left hand on lens, viewfinder against the ocular socket (OK, not the best way to word it, but you get what I mean). I, for one, think that is very helpful in a non-shoulder mounted design.

2) I like having the monitor in colour and the EVF in monochrome. I can see the colours and check contrast easily without having to flip buttons.

3) If the talent wants to use the monitor to see themselves, I still have the EVF to be able to work the camera.

Unless in a strictly studio setting, NOT having an EVF is a total and utter deal breaker, for me… we all have different criteria.
Mike Barber
"I'm laughing to stop myself from screaming."
Mike Barber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds