DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   is EX1 hard to use handheld? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/110877-ex1-hard-use-handheld.html)

Malcolm Hamilton December 24th, 2007 09:29 AM

is EX1 hard to use handheld?

Hi there,
On another thread, someone said “On top of that, the EX is incredibly awkward to use handheld”
Are others in agreement on this?
I've only held an EX1 in a store, for a few seconds. It seemed a bit heavier than the Z1 I've been using... is that the only negative, or are there other issues?
Thanks,
Malcolm

Steven Thomas December 24th, 2007 09:46 AM

It is at first, but you get use to it.

There are other options, like buying a shoulder brace, or a vest based system.
Personally, I find all handheld cameras a pain. Some are just a bit easier to deal with over another.

Michael Galvan December 24th, 2007 09:49 AM

I agree ... I find the camera quite awkward and unbalanced handheld, but I feel I'll eventually adapt to it whether I like it or nt ... lol.

Chuck Wall December 24th, 2007 11:00 AM

I have found the camera to be more difficult to hold at eye level, shape of grip offers no help, but when rotated to a clockwise position placing the grip pointing upwards, holding is better and you can "hang on" with one hand.

I plan to get the dvrigpro hd as an additonal support.

Chuck

Craig Seeman December 24th, 2007 02:34 PM

Is the EX1 more of a challenge to hand hold? Yup. I love the freedom of hand hold over shoulder mount. I'm finding if you put the grip at position that's good for you and really put your thumb of the grip hand in that groove for it, the ball of the hand can handle the weight (for me). While I wouldn't run around with it one handed, I can execute hand held moves with it without a problem.

Ideally I'd help it with the thumb of my other hand, allowing me to use the index finger to twiddle the various rings as needed. Tricky but you can learn it.

John Hess December 24th, 2007 06:05 PM

This one of the two really big let downs in this otherwise stellar camera (the other being the funky white balance). The camera is very hard to hold with one hand - two hands is manageable.

Anyone got any suggestions on a good shoulder brace.

Malcolm Hamilton December 27th, 2007 11:33 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts (I've been away for a few days, so just posting this now)... I might have to do a little arm-flexing/weight-training from the sounds of things... get myself in shape.
John, I gather the DVmultirig is nice... just google it.
Cheers,
Malcolm

Tom Hardwick December 27th, 2007 12:23 PM

After the Z1, the EX1 is a dream to hand-hold - and that's all down to the genius of the twisting, turning hand-grip. Wonderful.

John Hess December 27th, 2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton (Post 798792)
Thanks everyone for your thoughts (I've been away for a few days, so just posting this now)... I might have to do a little arm-flexing/weight-training from the sounds of things... get myself in shape.
John, I gather the DVmultirig is nice... just google it.
Cheers,
Malcolm

That looks nice.

Thanks for giving me yet another thing to spend my money on...

:)

Tom Roper December 27th, 2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 798816)
After the Z1, the EX1 is a dream to hand-hold - and that's all down to the genius of the twisting, turning hand-grip. Wonderful.

I don't understand your comment. The Z1 has the twisting, turning hand-grip as well.

Hedley Wright December 27th, 2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roper (Post 798907)
I don't understand your comment. The Z1 has the twisting, turning hand-grip as well.

Really? Mine must be faulty then!

Tom Roper December 27th, 2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedley Wright (Post 798921)
Really? Mine must be faulty then!

I owned the Z1U before the XH-A1 !

It would be hard to convince you of that!

But since I must be wrong about the Z1, I'm probably confusing the rotating grip with my old GR-HD1, my bad and thanks for the correction.

Good to know that some people are okay the the EX1 ergos. I thought the Z1 ergos were at least as good as the XH-A1, the problem on either always had more to do with the controls on the left hand than the right.

The worry I have about the EX1 is whether I will be able to use the viewfinder with the left eye.

Pierre Louis Beranek December 27th, 2007 07:09 PM

Too Sideheavy, Grip too small

I'm surprised no one mentions that the EX1 is very side heavy since the grip is so far away from the camera's lateral center of gravity (compared to other small cameras, PD170, DVX100, etc). The rotating grip is a definite bonus, but the hand grip feels much too small, which results in a rather uncomfortable hand hold, for me at least. Realistically, this is a camera that can only be used with two hands, but I can't imagine shooting with any small camera with just one hand anyway.

I'm still going to buy one thought since other than this and a few other quirks, it seems like it's all there.

Phil Bloom December 28th, 2007 02:22 AM

I am starting to get used to it. But like all heavyish handheld cameras it kills you after a bit!

Tom Hardwick December 28th, 2007 02:46 AM

It's killing mode is designed in Phil. The quicker they can get you to use that tripod, the better will be your results.