DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Picture Profile Recipes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/110902-picture-profile-recipes.html)

Steven Thomas January 8th, 2008 08:58 AM

Thanks Jim, I was wondering the same thing as Carrol.

I see the film setting is not using the cine gamma curves.
How does it hold up for latitude, compared to selecting the cine curves?

Piotr Wozniacki January 8th, 2008 09:23 AM

I've been searching/asking for this in vain: how do the 4 cine gamma curves (depicted in the pdf brochure) compare to the 4 std ones?

Anyone?

Steven Thomas January 8th, 2008 09:37 AM

It's in the manual, page 74.

Piotr Wozniacki January 8th, 2008 09:46 AM

I mean graphical comparison, Steven - not a description ("a picture is worth more than 1000 words", and in this case - 100k :))

Steven Thomas January 8th, 2008 10:01 AM

You can download the manual. It's online.
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?...8&postcount=11

Piotr Wozniacki January 8th, 2008 10:21 AM

I downloaded the manual on the first day of its availability on the Internet, Steven - no gamma curve pictures there, as you know. Only description.

Paul Cronin January 8th, 2008 10:31 AM

I set up the 4 PP on this forum plus one I am testing trying to match (Canon A1 Vivid) and took a quick check. Wow the TV Curve has saturated/vivid colors. Now off for a test shoot more later.

Steven Thomas January 8th, 2008 10:45 AM

I saw the pictures on this forum somewhere.

Paul Cronin January 8th, 2008 05:29 PM

Went out today and shot for a few hours on a hazy warm winter day. There were not a lot of colors. Running late so I can post grabs or clips tomorrow if anyone is interested.

I tested 5 PP settings at two locations a few times at each place. All shots were locked on tripod, full manual, keeping iris between 2.8-4.8, some had ND1, some ND2. Zoom was 100% on some, 50% on others, and full wide on the last third.

See attached for settings:

I found PP1-2 very pleasing crisp and clear with nice colors and realistic blacks.

PP3 looked nice but I will have to spend some time tomorrow to see how the Black Gamma +25 looked in the shadow details.

PP4 had loads of noise and was washed out with a purple/green tint. It was also 2 stops brighter.

PP5 also had noise but not as much as PP4. This is oversaturated with a blue/red tint and only one stop brighter then 1-3.

More tomorrow family calls.

Added today the Picture Profile frame grabs. All three are full wide and have not been touched in post.

Paul Cronin January 9th, 2008 09:29 AM

Well for some reason PP4 will not upload so I will get another frame grab and try again. I keep timing out for a 2 MB .png that is 1920 x 1080. I will try a few more times. UPLOAD FAILED four times not sure why so I will come back later when I have more time. PP4 is worth a look since I was surprised at how this image looked.

Paul Joy January 9th, 2008 09:50 AM

Good work Paul, it'll be great to see these getting the attention the XH-A1 versions got.

In the samples you uploaded I liked 2 the best, and in fact is the same as the settings I've been using. 3 looks more HVX like to me (or at least heading in that direction) and 5 loses way too much detail for my liking, I'd prefer to leave that kind of contrast for post.

Nice one!

Jim Montgomery January 9th, 2008 09:52 AM

Never mind, I see the file names (I've been healed!)

So Paul

In the screen grabs above you have

PP1 PP2
PP3 PP5

with 4 still to come?

Jim

Paul Cronin January 9th, 2008 09:54 AM

Thanks Paul I also like PP2 the best so far but will keep playing. Rain all day today so no shooting. Also I can not seem to get PP4 to upload but will try again in a little while.

Jim Montgomery January 9th, 2008 10:05 AM

The problem tho', with detail cranked up in the camera you get an artificial "edge" sharpening that tends to be hard to key. Start doing Hi Contrast 3 pass keying and you run into problems.

A low detail setting allows you to key easier and if not keying you can apply an unsharp effect to bring that little bit of detail back.

For what its worth.

Jim

Paul Cronin January 9th, 2008 10:18 AM

Jim are you referring to the +5 level I used on my Detail Level setting? If so I agree it would cause problems keying but it is worth looking at while I am experimenting.