Picture Profile Recipes - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 12th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #316
Inner Circle

George,

Here is a sample shot with that RC1 profile you posted.

It was shot through the not-so-clean window of my office which overlooks the lounge area outside the building.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture Profile Recipes-clip1.jpg  
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #317
Major Player

George's RC

Hey George - here's a 30 second clip I shot yesterday of my fountain, using a variant of your RC settings. I actually split the difference between the two (Level was 5 vs 0 or 10) and detail off. 720P24 with 1/48 shutter and polarizer.

http://www.box.net/shared/dlka9t48os
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #318
Tourist

Daylight

So what is the best recipe for shooting in heavy sunlight?
Steve Christiansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #319
Inner Circle

I found the TC2 profile excellent yesterday in mid-afternoon sun, but fairly unusable indoors without a lot of light. The RC1 profile does better in low light and really looks nice.
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #320
Major Player

Perrone - Thanks for the still. Too bad there wasn't more color range in you subject. Let us see what some full color range subjects look like with RC1 on your camera.

Ronn - Great clip. Nice range of colors in the subject and moving in to frame to show skin tone is a plus. Very saturated without any strange colors that I saw. Should look great from 0 to -15. I had not thought about it before, but I will try a Tru-Pol on the charts to see if that upsets the balance or levels. Polarizers might want a profile of their own.

RC1 is about the max saturation I would be brave enough to use on a real shoot, and then for clients that insist on no post grading. It provides a bit of head space on saturation, but exposure or white balance errors could still give chroma clipping.

RC2 is to show where the top is, DSC 50% color chart taken all of the way to 50% on scopes. Pretty much no chroma head space left.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #321
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Strother View Post
Perrone - Thanks for the still. Too bad there wasn't more color range in you subject. Let us see what some full color range subjects look like with RC1 on your camera.

RC1 is about the max saturation I would be brave enough to use on a real shoot, and then for clients that insist on no post grading. It provides a bit of head space on saturation, but exposure or white balance errors could still give chroma clipping.

Yea, I'll provide something a bit better this coming week. It rained here today, so I couldn't really capture anything.

And I completely agree with you on RC1. I am probably going to shoot with it this week in an interview I have to do. We'll see how it works.
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #322
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Strother View Post
I had not thought about it before, but I will try a Tru-Pol on the charts to see if that upsets the balance or levels. Polarizers might want a profile of their own.
That was a Formatt 4x4 polarizer in mattebox. It shifts green on the EX1 when turned to minimum polarization but shows no shift at maximum. I haven't tried turning it around yet to see if that makes a difference. I also haven't tried a screw-in polarizer. Will be trying that this week.
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #323
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
That was a Formatt 4x4 polarizer in mattebox. It shifts green on the EX1 when turned to minimum polarization but shows no shift at maximum. I haven't tried turning it around yet to see if that makes a difference. I also haven't tried a screw-in polarizer. Will be trying that this week.
Tested the Schneider circular Tru-Pol. Rotation makes no measurable color shift. White balance shifts about 3% toward cyan when mounting the filter. Need to re-white when the filter goes on or off. Panning with the circular does not color shift.

Tested a Tiffen linear polarizer. 90 degree rotation gives a 30% shift magenta to green! Optimize the polarization, white balance and pan 90 degrees can give a 30% green shift. Not good. Mounting it backwards made no improvement.

Neither filter blocked the auto focus system.

It doesn't take scopes and test charts to see this color shift. Just watch on the LCD screen as you rotate the filter or make a long pan in sunlight. Maybe someone can test other brands of circular polarizers and post here.

Last edited by George Strother; July 14th, 2008 at 07:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #324
Major Player

FYI George - the Formatt definitely shifts magenta-to-green on the EX1 (reversing the filter side makes no difference) but causes no shift at all on my Z1U, nor on my Panasonic AJ-D200 DVC-Pro camera I tested today. The Tiffen screw-in 77mm Polarizer does not exhibit any shift at all on the EX1. I thought maybe it was a CMOS thing, so I tried it on my HD-1000 (which is CMOS) and no shift.
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #325
Major Player

Quote:
FYI George - the Formatt definitely shifts magenta-to-green on the EX1 (reversing the filter side makes no difference) but causes no shift at all on my Z1U, nor on my Panasonic AJ-D200 DVC-Pro camera I tested today. The Tiffen screw-in 77mm Polarizer does not exhibit any shift at all on the EX1. I thought maybe it was a CMOS thing, so I tried it on my HD-1000 (which is CMOS) and no shift.
Are either of these marked circular? I found the problem on linear, none on circular.
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #326
Major Player

Both are linear.
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #327
Major Player

Quote:
Both are linear.
So your Tiffen linear screw-in and my Tiffen linear screw-in give opposite results. Hard to draw a useful conclusion from that data.

Clearly not an issue that can be fixed with picture profiles, although a profile that increases chroma levels will magnify color errors from any source.

Anyone using a polarizer that causes a color shift should not combine it with any settings to increase saturation.
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #328
Major Player

Correction - my Tiffen screw-in is a circular. My mistake. It's not labeled as such on the filter, but I went to put it back in the box and saw it on the label.
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM   #329
Major Player

In shooting our last video university segment on using filters I was surprised to see the EX1 do the green shift while rotating our 4x4 polarizer. We also saw a strong magenta shift when using an ND.9 and graduated ND.6. No other camera in our collection does this with these filters. Interesting.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:13 AM   #330
Regular Crew

I have the same issue when using a B&W circular polarizer and a B&W grad. ND.6

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds