DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Picture Profile Recipes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/110902-picture-profile-recipes.html)

Paul Cronin January 10th, 2008 09:38 AM

Jim no worry I was just checking that it was the +5 you were discussing. I have never gone to Beta so don't know about PP5 and saturation for that use.

Thanks Steve I will play with some of those numbers today.

Yesterday I went through all one more time and still like PP2 for my work but it needs improvement. Also played with PP2 in 720 30/60 and timelaps 1/1-16.

YeeHa 2 new U60 batteries arrived today after ordering from AbelCineTech yesterday.

Paul Cronin January 10th, 2008 09:54 AM

To help understand the PP settings try this. Hook the camera up to a big monitor and another camera with the settings you like on a monitor next to the EX1. I did this with the Canon A1 and the Sony Ex1. Keeping the Canon on the settings I like. Then going through all the PP setting on the EX and looking to see what each adjustment does to try and get close. You do not have to record and the changes are instant. Make sure your monitors are accurate and only use this as a guide but it is a nice exercise. I did this with both on tripods and through a open window since 95% of my shooting is outside. Then pick 5 setting and go out and shoot and look at the results in your NLE.

Paul Cronin January 10th, 2008 03:45 PM

Four more new PP's today and I am getting close to the one I like for my upcoming jobs. I am sure it will always be tweaked but getting close.

The one I like the best so far is PP1. But I think tomorrow I will try the Low Key Sat at +10 and +20 to help dial it in.

I do like Detail off and Skin Tone off. As for Knee you can't control Knee unless you are using the Standard Gamma.

Paul Kendal January 11th, 2008 11:05 AM

XDCAM Scene Files

I noticed that Sony has some downloadable scene files for the XDCAM's on their website.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...eneFiles.shtml

Is there any way to convert these scene files for use on the EX1?

Paul Joy January 11th, 2008 07:23 PM

Keep up the good work Paul. I tried out some of your settings today with mixed results. I'm undecided if I like the image with detail off or not. Part of me feels happy that there's less processing happening, but I also miss the images looking quite as stunning.

Your PP1 seemed over saturated to me, I know the look your trying to achieve as I used the vividRGB settings in my A1 a few times too, although I always found that to be a little too reddish for my liking. Good luck with it though, I'm definitely going to keep trying out your findings.

Paul.

Paul Kellett January 12th, 2008 04:18 AM

Can't read downloaded profiles

Hi,i've downloaded some of the profiles from this thread but can't open them,what programs are you all using ?
Thanks,Paul.

Paul Joy January 12th, 2008 05:56 AM

What is this, the Paul club!

I think the file is an excel spreadsheet.

Paul Cronin January 12th, 2008 08:38 AM

Paul J. have you adjusted any of the setting to remove some of the red. I agree the A1 setting is a little on the red side but it never was a problem with so much blue in most of my shots. I still have my A1 and only use Vivid when outside. But trying to move to the EX only.

Interesting playing with the Low Key Sat. I still have not tried to adjust that setting due to rain all day yesterday.

Not sure what you mean when you "miss the images looking quite as stunning."? After looking at the examples with detail on and off and trying while hooked up to a monitor I prefer the sharper image. Are you saying you prefer the softer image?

Post some of what you like I am sure it will help. Thanks

Paul K yes it is a excel file.

Michael H. Stevens January 12th, 2008 09:44 PM

Here is my question: Can you see the effects of your settings in the LCD to the extent that you can make you gamma settings based on it?

Paul Cronin January 13th, 2008 10:27 AM

Michael I would not base any of my settings on the LCD. I either make the settings in a test and then look on my NLE or hook up to a corrected monitor and then test the settings.

Michael H. Stevens January 13th, 2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 807631)
Michael I would not base any of my settings on the LCD. I either make the settings in a test and then look on my NLE or hook up to a corrected monitor and then test the settings.

Sort of what I suspected Paul. Any recommendations for an ON CAMERA (I shoot nature in the deep desert - no studio) monitor at the cheaper end? I need one for the FX1 anyway.

Paul Cronin January 14th, 2008 08:18 AM

Michael I do not use a external monitor but if you search there are a few option that are HD but not cheap.

Paul Cronin January 14th, 2008 10:14 AM

Steve you talked about a PP with -20 level and +20 frequency but you were going to check on your blacks. Have you had a chance to check?

Rob Collins January 15th, 2008 01:17 PM

PP samples from interview

1 Attachment(s)
Here's some frames from a quick interview I shot this morning. I shot it with PP off to be able to adjust in post, but am also looking for some minor PP tweaks that will give me the best image to start with. I was particularly interested in using Cine 4, both with and without detail adjustment. Didn't end up liking that. I don't completely understand all these settings, and so would welcome suggestions for the next interview (Thursday).

Spreadsheet attached, but here's what I did:

PP1 Sony: suggested here: http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowC...=1193315622557 (by the way, just noticed some new tips posted there)
PP2 CINE4: Cine 4 Gamma, 0 level
PP3 CINE4-DT: same as 2, with detail -20 and black gamma +25
PP4 HSAT: same HSAT posted earlier in the thread
PP5 WCV: Paul Cronin's PP1
PP6 Film Curve: same Film Curve posted earlier
Off frame included too.

I posted the images here: http://robcollins.net/pp-rc.zip. I kept getting upload failures trying to add the images to this post.

Paul Cronin January 15th, 2008 02:37 PM

Thanks Rob for posting those. I also have problems at times posting pictures.

I have still been trying and tried more the last three days but still not happy.

Out of your grabs I like PP4 the best. But then again I like saturated look while still sharp.

If I get some better results I will post.